Qarmat Ali 1 PWRR Basra Iraq 05 August 2004

@Combatintman I know this is ancient by now, but I just found this map a week ago and got very excited. I did because back in late 2006- early 2007 this place was my hood. I was deployed with the Danish Army back then, and this place (Al Harta) was the southern tip of my company's AO.

I just thought it would be fun to do a little review (everybody's a reviewer these days, right?) of your map and compare it to some actual images.

I've marked a few spots on the overview where the following images were taken.

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg

Qarmat Ali bridge. There are some clear limits in the CM editor, so I get why you made a land bridge. But the real thing was very large and frankly daunting. Like in your scenario, we also had a lot of trouble with it. We had one man KIA a hundred meters south of it (if just applying North to the top of the map), and 2 WIA just when they reached the northen side, at another time. Also single shots fired at us.

The Tate factory, as we called it. We took breaks in there a few times. When I was there the werehouses were just open with tin roofs. Not sure all the holes were damage from fighting, or just decay. There were some families with cute kids living in there. One thing you missed, was that one of the buildings was actually a water tower. For some reason my PL found it a great idea to put a guard up in it. It was the worst position ever. It took 5 minutes to crawl up there. I could not imagine a more ****ty position to be in if you got shot at. Luckily we never did while up there.

This is just a shot from a little street we called Happy Street- The image is take a few hundred meters up the road west. One day we got shot at up this street. after searching the area we found a KPV 14.5 HMG in a garden. It wasn't the weapon that fired at us, but at least we got that one off the street. Pulling out we had a firefight again.

But yeah Al Harta, Iraq was a pretty ****ty place. I rate it 2/10.

Your map I'll give 7/10 for realism :D

--

@Sgt.Squarehead, I mentioned this to you, thought perhaps you'd want to see it.

Edited by puje