So has anyone started or completed the 2nd mission.  I have gotten schwacked twice...

SPOILERS BELOW...kinda.....................................................

So I start off taking fire from the adjacent ridgetops...DUH, I can use my CAS to take them out, but besides the need to do more suppression fire and maneuver to get to the first set of buildings, has anyone come up with any creative ideas to clear the village?  The awesome and infuriating map :rolleyes: would lend itself to an up the middle approach, but I fear that's what the bad guys are expecting and attacking uphill to a crap ton of buildings doesn't have a lot of appeal. 

Unfortunately, not sure how to try and outflank anything given the terrain.

Ideas?

On 2/8/2017 at 2:14 PM, grunt_GI said:

So has anyone started or completed the 2nd mission.  I have gotten schwacked twice...

So I start off taking fire from the adjacent ridgetops...DUH, I can use my CAS to take them out, but besides the need to do more suppression fire and maneuver to get to the first set of buildings, has anyone come up with any creative ideas to clear the village?  The awesome and infuriating map :rolleyes: would lend itself to an up the middle approach, but I fear that's what the bad guys are expecting and attacking uphill to a crap ton of buildings doesn't have a lot of appeal. 

Ideas?

Try moving along the left side of the roadway towards the village. This will shield you somewhat from the right ridge line. You will still receive fire from the left but it will be easier to suppress once its spotted until you can get the CAS on them. Also you can send the ANA boys up that ridge to engage the top of the ridge line which should help you get into the village. The village is an animal in itself but you can use the buildings to cover you from the fire from the high ground until you can start clearing them. Or you can send a squad up the right ridge to engage that bunch and keep them busy. Let me know how it comes out.

Michael

• 1 month later...

Been to Helmand yesterday - in CMSF environment of course :) 

i noticed @dragonwynn that u stated use only the mods supplied with the campaign , and remove when finished . Is that correct ? If I leave this folder and play other scenarios... there will be mixups ?

thanks man 

5 hours ago, borg said:

Been to Helmand yesterday - in CMSF environment of course :) 

i noticed @dragonwynn that u stated use only the mods supplied with the campaign , and remove when finished . Is that correct ? If I leave this folder and play other scenarios... there will be mixups ?

thanks man 

I would remove the folder since CMSF has no modtag system. The 82nd mod turns the US Heavy Infantry into paratroopers so any other scenarios that use them will make them appear as the 82nd. There are a few other mods also that modify existing CMSF units.

Michael

Ok thanks man ! Last quick ques / the 82nd mod - does it put the AA emblem on their arm ? I have another emblem - just wanted to double check. I can't post a pic - but it's like sort of a circle and shape of a sun outline the ones I have. 

4 hours ago, dragonwynn said:

I would remove the folder since CMSF has no modtag system. The 82nd mod turns the US Heavy Infantry into paratroopers so any other scenarios that use them will make them appear as the 82nd. There are a few other mods also that modify existing CMSF units.

Michael

Ok ! Got it. My guys look like these shown here 

so - it's a competing mod that I have installed right ? Hence - for maximal experience I remove all except the ones you placed in folder download ?

24 minutes ago, borg said:

Ok ! Got it. My guys look like these shown here 

so - it's a competing mod that I have installed right ? Hence - for maximal experience I remove all except the ones you placed in folder download ?

Yea it appears that your mod is overriding the 82nd one. You can either remove the original mod and replace later or just go with what you got and use the imagination juices lol. Its a pain I know since CMSF has no tag system.

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Erwin said:

Been trying to ensure I have the latest and best versions of campaigns and scenarios:

I have a version of Heart of Darkness campaign dated 11/08/16.  Is this the final version?

My guess would be yes - if you go back through the thread, the last post about a new version was dated 09 Nov 16.

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2017 at 8:14 PM, grunt_GI said:

Ideas?

So... @grunt_GI  got schwacked again in the village ? :) 

1 hour ago, borg said:

So... @grunt_GI  got schwacked again in the village ? :) 

Dang Dang...well, as I am a tad impatient I have worked my up to about (SPOILER) Objective 5....that is a LONG damn way to the last objective....Not being able to blast hell outta everything with my engineers is a pain...I may work my way through...trying to at least get a Draw?  So I can move on.

Really nice infantry scenario...the surprisingly tough MOUT (for a small stinkin' village) makes this one a tough nut to crack.

6 hours ago, borg said:

Are you working on more talibs / AQ Missions @dragonwynn ? ?

Not at the moment. Working on something for CMFB which will be my first effort for that title. I do have one semi worked on for CMSF but haven't got it to where I am satisfied with how to advance the campaign. It involves a hypothetical clash with Iran but just cant get the story and timelines to come together yet.

1 hour ago, dragonwynn said:

Not at the moment. Working on something for CMFB which will be my first effort for that title. I do have one semi worked on for CMSF but haven't got it to where I am satisfied with how to advance the campaign. It involves a hypothetical clash with Iran but just cant get the story and timelines to come together yet.

OOOO, CMFB?  That will be awesome...I really like that game, but for me it kinda gets lost in the CMBN/CMFI/CMFB mix...an awesome campaign will be just the thing...:D

Edited by grunt_GI

9 hours ago, borg said:

CMSF never fails to surprise doesn't it. All of the latest @Sgt.Squarehead mosul scenario and @LongLeftFlank wicked Wednesday - made me re visit @dragonwynn campaign. It's a beauty. I too stalled on mission 2 - I'll try working it as suggested above.

'schwacking' lol makes me remember the movie lone survivor . 'I say schawk 'om '

So I am really enjoying the Mosul scenario..Sarge has done a great job...and it's kinda fun to play since I still have @dragonwynn mods for Heart of Darkness installed since I don't feel like moving things around..kinda gives  Mosul sort of a Mad Max feeling...:D...but where is this "Wicked Wednesday?"  

Playing Mission 1 of Heart of Darkness.  A bit frustrated that I lost 3 guys to mines.  Problem with CM2 is that the only way to find mines/IED's is for someone to get blown up.  I thought that the area of IED's was indicated by barrels and other eye candy.  But, apparently there is no indication.

Also, I made the village to the left and close to the set-up zone as my HQ and was surprised to find a whole bunch of Taliban pop up literally under their feet.  Lost a 2-man FO team and the sniper guy from the sniper team but wiped out the Taliban.  Same thing happened a few meters in front of a couple of armed vehicles.  Fortunately all Taliban immediately killed with no loss to crews.

30 minutes in, 1 hour to go.  Just about to take the first objective in the LHS town.  6 KIA and 6 WIA.  Seems too high % for this operation.  Can't help feeling that in RL, the Brits would pull back and have an inquiry at this point.  But, since it's a game I guess must soldier on. 

Man, I hate heavy casualties.  That's what burns me out from playing CM2 on a regular basis. It's the feeling that am not improving my gameplay... and may be getting worse:wacko:

9 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Playing Mission 1 of Heart of Darkness.  A bit frustrated that I lost 3 guys to mines.  Problem with CM2 is that the only way to find mines/IED's is for someone to get blown up.  I thought that the area of IED's was indicated by barrels and other eye candy.  But, apparently there is no indication.

Also, I made the village to the left and close to the set-up zone as my HQ and was surprised to find a whole bunch of Taliban pop up literally under their feet.  Lost a 2-man FO team and the sniper guy from the sniper team but wiped out the Taliban.  Same thing happened a few meters in front of a couple of armed vehicles.  Fortunately all Taliban immediately killed with no loss to crews.

30 minutes in, 1 hour to go.  Just about to take the first objective in the LHS town.  6 KIA and 6 WIA.  Seems too high % for this operation.  Can't help feeling that in RL, the Brits would pull back and have an inquiry at this point.  But, since it's a game I guess must soldier on. 

Man, I hate heavy casualties.  That's what burns me out from playing CM2 on a regular basis. It's the feeling that am not improving my gameplay... and may be getting worse:wacko:

As a senior member with > 9K posts - I am supposed to feel better ? :) 

I am a sucker and in love for the ambient settings of the game - anything to do with A*Stan, maybe P*Stan - and nowadays also Iraq and Syria. I love mostly, fast paced tempo SF type of missions. I thought CM engine won't be ideal for this type, and most agree with that remark. However as  @Combatintman and a few others have shown, this might not be entirely true. The immersion is fantastic. I just played a random scenario entitled Afghani Stan - and it blew me right away. SF type, ambush - call for air cover and exfil.

4 hours ago, borg said:

As a senior member with > 9K posts - I am supposed to feel better ? :) 

I am a sucker and in love for the ambient settings of the game - anything to do with A*Stan, maybe P*Stan - and nowadays also Iraq and Syria. I love mostly, fast paced tempo SF type of missions. I thought CM engine won't be ideal for this type, and most agree with that remark. However as  @Combatintman and a few others have shown, this might not be entirely true. The immersion is fantastic. I just played a random scenario entitled Afghani Stan - and it blew me right away. SF type, ambush - call for air cover and exfil.

Not sure if Heart of Darkness Mission #1 is fast paced.  If you move fast I think you get ambushed easily since most of the challenges are MOUT. 

I really like the mission.  But, it's only fun when it's a test of skill, not bad luck re stumbling into mines - getting 5% of one's force KIA or WIA due to mines which one cannot detect means what... you lose due to too many casualties and need to start again but this time avoiding the mines??   Really hate replaying missions.

5 hours ago, Erwin said:

Nope, we'd finished the mission and get some payback.....Then we'd hold the enquiry.  :rolleyes:

Yes yes I agree with you, re: the fast paced tempo, this campaign DEFINITELY is not. It ticks one big mark for me since its in A*Stan. I wanted to refer to other scenarios that are fast paced, such as Op Neptune Spear and others, such as Afghani Stan.