Question re RL SOP's:  When a force has a Co or Bn CO and XO's/2IC's, is it normal to send the Co or Bn CO forward and keep the XO/2IC in the rear in relative safety in case the CO gets killed? 

Or... does one keep the Co/Bn CO safely in the rear and send the XO/2IC to the front to be used in some way?

No HQ's or XO's killed so far.  :)   I just wondered how best/most realistically to use em.  

In the game Co CO's supposedly can take command of a unit that has had its Platoon CO killed.

Yes, we all use XO's as medics.  But, generally, will the Co CO go with the troops to better command them while the XO stays safe behind, or vice versa?

Basically, am never sure what to do with all the Co CO's and their XO's, 2IC's and "Operations Officers".

******* SPOILERS *******

1H 20 MINS TO GO:  Advancing through the village and reached halfway point.  No further casualties(!) since last briefing.   The RHS hill force is now level with the 2nd village and about to take out another enemy trench.  It doesn't seem worth using airpower to hit the enemy dug into the LHS hills, since with the right flank now secure, the troops can go around the buildings on their right side safely without worrying about enemy fire from the RHS hills.  

To answer the question about COs/OCs/2ICs/XOs - the general rule is that the commander commands (that is their job - the clue is in the name) while the XO/2IC runs the headquarters, the logistics or both depending on the level of command. HQs at Coy level and below are not really HQs at all because they lack the manpower/capacity to perform a full HQ function - but as the gaps in capacity are dealt with at higher level, this actually is not really a problem.

So if a platoon commander gets killed in a tactical action, the 2IC steps up (in the British Army, this would be the Platoon Sgt) until the action is over and a replacement can be found. The same would be true at Coy and Bn level.

HQ location at all levels is generally down to a trade off in the following factors:

Being able to directly influence the battle.

Being able to maintain situational awareness of friendly and enemy forces,

Being able to coordinate friendly forces.

Being able to physically communicate.

The location of decisive points in time and space.

The location of Vital Ground/Decisive Terrain or Key Terrain.

The enemy threat.

In CM terms ... a very generic 'realistic' COA would be to separate your CO/OC and XO/2IC teams. The commander should be forward while the XO/2IC is further back.

I appreciate the response.  Yes, my question was what to actually do with the HQ units in the game to at least try and use em as realistically as possible in the game.  Do you leave em out of the battle altogether, or should one bring the Co or BN HQ's or their XO's/2IC's up to direct the combat from the front? 

I think what you are saying is bring the Co HQ's to the front while the XO's/2IC's can be left in the rear - (or use em as medics).  Thank you...

Sorry guys, for this little little screen shot. But I just can't help ignore the fact, how beautiful CMSF is in its current state, and hence God only knows how even better it would be as a CMSFII. This screenie is taken from the first mission of @dragonwynn campaign - The Heart of Darkness

fY24s0A.png

And of course,  a perfect excuse to celebrate my 500th post.

Edited by borg

Congrats Borg!   Soon you will be a professional poster and time waster like...   well not me of course.      :D

And yes, CMSF photos are the most beautiful I think.  It's the sun, the desert, the shimmering HEAT rounds...

Edited by Erwin

34 minutes ago, borg said:

Sorry guys, for this little little screen shot. But I just can't help ignore the fact, how beautiful CMSF is in its current state, and hence God only knows how even better it would be as a CMSFII. This screenie is taken from the first mission of @dragonwynn campaign - The Heart of Darkness

And of course,  a perfect excuse to celebrate my 500th post.

Congratulations!!!  I suspect CMSF II will quickly become a favorite among CM players.   

Edited by MOS:96B2P

1 hour ago, dragonwynn said:

I guess I did a half decent job of creating a Afghany atmosphere I suppose.

I don't have shock force but i have watched a few videos on youtube showing a playthrough of this campaign...

The maps are Amazing ! :) and the gameplay sounds like good fun...

Stuff like this is making it very hard to wait for CMSF2 until i 'head of for the desert'...

As soon as i have my gaming computer up and running again after some touble i have a feeling i wount be able to help myself...

I will buy the first game (i have owned it before but for some reason it is no longer avaliable for download in my gamelist at my account page).

Many thanks for all your work across the various titles...Brilliant ! B)

------------       SPOILER !!!        SPOILER !!!        SPOILER !!!        -------------------------

Edited by RepsolCBR

FFS just buy it already!  :lol:

You've clearly talked yourself into it.....So just consider the cash to be already spent, click the button and play the scenarios, it's still a great game!  B)

That image for #4 is about perfect for a 'green-zone'.....I'd love to be able to convert these maps to the (superior IMHO) CM:A engine, they'd be a godsend! 

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

26 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

FFS just buy it already!  :lol:

I guess i will take your 'advice' ;)

There will be no bikeriding this weekend...bloody rain !

That will pretty much save me what i need :)

15 minutes ago, Erwin said:

What is the procedure for taking pics?  It was so easy in CM1 but have never figured it out for CM2.

FRAPS works fine for me...I think that the PrtScn button also works...just paste it in PAINT.

Buy all the modules while you are at it, IIRC it works out about the price of one of the modern games and if you ignore the woefully short timeframe (3 months) you'll be staggered at what's in there!  The stock scenarios are showing their age (actually to be fairer to the designers, the age of the game engine) a little bit, but the newer user created stuff is very, very good.  B)

Maybe get CM:A too?  It's a real strange one, it has a reasonably comprehensive unit set (with a few quirks) and a mahooosive time frame.....1978-1992!  :o

PS - Printscreen is iffy, it doesn't get all the details.....I'll add a +1 for FRAPS. 

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

7 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Buy all the modules while you are at it, IIRC it works out about the price of one of the modern games and if you ignore the woefully short timeframe (3 months) you'll be staggered at what's in there! 

I will get the basegame and the bundle...

9 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

The stock scenarios are showing their age (actually to be fairer to the designers, the age of the game engine) a little bit, but the newer user created stuff is very, very good.  B)

It is the newer, user created stuff, that is most appealing to me...I have popped into this forum from time to time and gotten more and more 'hungry' for this game every time.

The new stuff looks very, very good ! :)

As for CM:A...I guess i will pass on that one...Not enough time to play every game i'm affraid...Hopefully DCS F18 by Eagle Dynamics will be released soon  :wub:

Shockforce, the WW2 titles and DCS F18 will be more then enough to keep me busy...

1 hour ago, RepsolCBR said:

I will get the basegame and the bundle...

I think that's everything.  B)

Shame about CM:A it really is an overlooked game, quirky as hell, but very cool if you like asymmetrical warfare as the UnCon units are much better designed than in CM:SF (benefit of hindsight I guess).  ;)

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

What is the procedure for taking pics?  It was so easy in CM1 but have never figured it out for CM2.

On my Mac I simply press cmd shift 3 and the screenie appears on my desktop ready for post format goodness. 

Also - I think @Erwin would have a half heart attack watching the above first vid and seeing those casualties ramp up ! Lol

I

4 hours ago, RepsolCBR said:

I guess i will take your 'advice' ;)

There will be no bikeriding this weekend...bloody rain !

That will pretty much save me what i need :)

FRAPS works fine for me...I think that the PrtScn button also works...just paste it in PAINT.

Am PC guy not Mac.  Have only ever used Picasa for photos.  What is Paint?  I couldn't see it in my MS programs  A download?   And FRAPS?  Any crayon level guides?

Normally I don't bother posting pics.  But some of the sunsets in CMSF with modded vehicles are amazing pics - as good as any photo I have taken - very  realistic-looking.

8 hours ago, Erwin said:

I

Am PC guy not Mac.  Have only ever used Picasa for photos.  What is Paint?  I couldn't see it in my MS programs  A download?   And FRAPS?  Any crayon level guides?

Normally I don't bother posting pics.  But some of the sunsets in CMSF with modded vehicles are amazing pics - as good as any photo I have taken - very  realistic-looking.

I see I have wet someones appetite :)