Windows Vista?

8 hours ago, LUCASWILLEN05 said:

Can I just check, will Final Blitzkrieg run with Windows Vista?

CMFB product detail reads 

System Requirements MINIMUM:

• Operating System: Win7/Win8

With Windows 10 recommended.  

So I would think not.  However I am no tech guru.  If you are still using Vista for the other CM titles maybe it would work for CMFB? 

However just based on the product details I am guessing no.

Recent tech support quote:

"I would think that CMFB would run XP but publicly we're trying to distance ourselves from the older operating system because we don't want guarantee that it will always run on XP and, therefore, do not have it in the minimum requirements."

I would say, Just try the demo if it is there.

Thanks. I suspected from the specs given that there might be an issue but, from what Kevin says it would be best for those with older OS like Vista to try any demo version first. Maybe also check with technical support as well if in doubt.

It would b a she to have to part company with BF simply because their newest games have specs too high for my PC although I would still buy expansions to Red Thunder, Black Sea and Normandy. At least until such time that I can afford to upgrade my OS or purchase a new PC

Perhaps worth bearing in mind that the min specs for Black sea are not XP either, but actually Vista onwards. How many of us XP users were aware of that?

Well I'm still with XP and the game runs beautifully on my machine! Since FB is the same game engine I think it highly unlikely that fundamental o/s requirements here to drive the game will have changed at all.

2 hours ago, The Steppenwulf said:

Perhaps worth bearing in mind that the min specs for Black sea are not XP either, but actually Vista onwards. How many of us XP users were aware of that?

Well I'm still with XP and the game runs beautifully on my machine! Since FB is the same game engine I think it highly unlikely that fundamental o/s requirements here to drive the game will have changed at all.

True. It would be great if my Vista OS can in fact run the game but I would want to be sure both by a successful demo run and by double checking my system spec with BF technical support before I part with any money for obvious reasons. Looking at the official specs I think it wise to be cautious here

Agreed: I'd be cautious before spending money on a game which may not be compatible with your OS.

(FWIW, I used to be a Vista guy. I went to W7 and loved it. I am not a huge fan of MS, but I did upgrade one of my machines from W7 to W10. Based on how well it runs, etc., etc., I've also updated 2 other machines from W7 to W10. All is good, so all my machines will become W10. At this point, unless you have some software which requires XP or Vista, I don't know why you wouldn't go to W7 (at a minimum) or W10 (preferably). XP was excellent. So was 3.11 back in its time. I understand the whole concern about W10 and auto-updates, etc. I suggest going to W10 based forums (tenforums, for example) and see if any possible concerns you may have are supported by reality. XP support is over. Vista...I'm not sure about. W7 will lose support from MS in summer 2017. W10 is free until this summer. Yeah, they're pushing it...  If you really need your old OS, set up a dual boot system and run the old one in a VM sandbox, thus avoiding security flaws from unsupported OS. Shrug. FWIW.)

This is tricky stuff. On the one hand no one wants to claim to support an OS that they cannot test and that the company that made it does not support any longer. On the other hand M$ does a pretty good job of keeping things compatible. Most programs written for old OS's work just fine. Not long ago Adobe dropped support for Vista in their latest versyof light room. I tried out the public beta and it worked fine. So I bought the release. The bums actually added code to prevent it from installing on Vista. Man I was pissed off about that. To me it seemed like a waste of effort to do work like that. But Adobe does odd things from time to time.

I have moved on from Vista so I cannot speak to it working but you could wait and see if some brave soul tries it out and hoevit goes for them.

My quick search found that M$ is offering free upgrades for win7 and win8 users but not older. There is also talk that a workaround exists that lets older OS owners get it too. I did not read up on how difficult that work around is to do.

As for the auto update my only comlayis that you don't have enough control about when the update happens. I often leave my machine in a specific state in order to continue my work the next day or I leave it doing some long task over night. With win10 I sometimes wake up in the morning disappointed that the damn thing has rebooted and I lost the results of some image processing work or I have to spent time setting up some testing scenario again. So far it has been a mild irratent. Most people will not even notice and so far nothing has broken.

9 minutes ago, JSj said:

Yes, isn't the Win 10 upgrade free? There is absolutely no reason not to upgrade. Win 10 will run fine even on older computers, and there are significant improvements compared to all previous Windows versions.

That's what they said about vista. Truth is win 10 tries to turn your PC into a tablet. And makes it very difficult to remove PUP's. Win 10 is so pup friendly that add/remove administrator functions do not exist at the same level and options they did for win7. I like to have full control over my computer. Now I must use 3rd party hacks to get around the registry restrictions in Win 10. Might as well go Mac now.

I partitioned my drive and actually have xp, , windows 7 and windows 10 on separate logical drives.When I boot up there is a screen that lets me pick which OS i want to start,  This might be an option for some people. I did this because I have bad memories about Vista. Mostly I use Windows 7, but I might try CMFB on Windows 10. Windows 10 also looks VERY similar to the OS on XBOX ONE, if any of you have that console you can see.

Edited by J Bennett

2 hours ago, nik mond said:

That's what they said about vista. Truth is win 10 tries to turn your PC into a tablet. And makes it very difficult to remove PUP's. Win 10 is so pup friendly that add/remove administrator functions do not exist at the same level and options they did for win7. I like to have full control over my computer. Now I must use 3rd party hacks to get around the registry restrictions in Win 10. Might as well go Mac now.

We can't handle concentrated ignorance of this magnitude! 

I partitioned my drive and actually have xp, , windows 7 and windows 10 on separate logical drives.When I boot up there is a screen that lets me pick which OS i want to start,  This might be an option for some people. I did this because I have bad memories about Vista. Mostly I use Windows 7, but I might try CMFB on Windows 10. Windows 10 also looks VERY similar to the OS on XBOX ONE, if any of you have that console you can see.

Windows 10 looks very similar to the OS on the bone? Have you ever used an xbox?

Also, technically the OS on the bone is Windows 10, but if your desktop looks like this...

Then you've made a serious mistake somewhere.

Edited by SgtHatred

Lol. My Vista machine is nearly retired. Got my wife moved off last week just have to verify the all important files are moved or backed up before clearing the HD.

Vista was OK but I agree XP and win7 were both great platforms in their day. I was always Leary about the new UI and never liked win8. I am mostly happy with win10 though. I suspect it will end up being well regarded like XP and win7 were.

Thanks for the input gents. OK what I think will be the best plan for me when FB becomes available is

1 Download the demo and see if I actually can run it on my OS

2 Speak to BF technical support to see if I can run with my current specs

3 Speak to my PC technical support to look in to getting a more recent OS. J Bennett's suggestion of partitioning sounds like it could be a good way to go for my needs.

Luke FF for a home PC nothing particularly wrong with Vista. Until now that is. However as indicated above I mght look into Windows 7, 8 or 10

30 minutes ago, LUCASWILLEN05 said:

Thanks for the input gents. OK what I think will be the best plan for me when FB becomes available is

1 Download the demo and see if I actually can run it on my OS

2 Speak to BF technical support to see if I can run with my current specs

3 Speak to my PC technical support to look in to getting a more recent OS. J Bennett's suggestion of partitioning sounds like it could be a good way to go for my needs.

Luke FF for a home PC nothing particularly wrong with Vista. Until now that is. However as indicated above I mght look into Windows 7, 8 or 10

Good plan. If the free Win10 path isn't available to you ( because of vista), then you can find oem copies of 10 pretty cheap.

There seem to be some free or low cost versions of Windows 7 which appears to be the minimum OS required. But I will have to check the rest of the specs against those required.

However, the first thing to establish prior to spending any money is that the game will definitely not run on my PC as it is now. It may well be that is the case and, if so,, proceed as planned

9 hours ago, c3k said:

...I did upgrade one of my machines from W7 to W10. Based on how well it runs, etc., etc., I've also updated 2 other machines from W7 to W10. All is good, so all my machines will become W10.

Good lord, Ken, how many computers do you own? And did you have to move your family out in order to make room for them?

;)

Michael

13 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

Good lord, Ken, how many computers do you own? And did you have to move your family out in order to make room for them?

;)

Michael

They ARE my family. ...just because they're made of silicon, doesn't mean they're not alive!   ;)