Rumour has it...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like they were in the air but not used in close air support.

They would have been most unsatisfactory as close support fighter bombers is my suspicion. Absent the kind of bomb aiming computers that came into service in the 1970s, low-level bombing at the speeds they traveled was pretty inaccurate. I guess for certain kinds of targets they might suffice, but I wouldn't like to have them operating in my neighborhood.

Michael

They would have been most unsatisfactory as close support fighter bombers is my suspicion. Absent the kind of bomb aiming computers that came into service in the 1970s, low-level bombing at the speeds they traveled was pretty inaccurate. I guess for certain kinds of targets they might suffice, but I wouldn't like to have them operating in my neighborhood.

Michael

Well, as I'm sure you know, the ONLY reason they could even attempt ground attack was Hitler's insistence that bomb hardpoints be added to wings. Delayed their operational debut by ~9-12 months. I can't believe you think Hitler's tactical acumen could wrong. ;)

As I recall the Soviets captured the 2 unfinished prototypes somewhere deep in Austria. I would assume including a Maus or E-100 would presume accelerated development or delay of the wars end. Personally I'd rather see something rare that actually saw combat than 2 projects that really were rather dumb and only had a remote chance of ever becoming operational. 

There was never a single Maus completed by the Germans, or so goes what I read in my high school days. The supposed complete Maus at Kubinka was created when the Russians married a turret from one vehicle under construction with the hull from another. But don't take my word for it...

prototype https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PTFnl316ug

But there is apparently new information that the Germans sent two working prototypes from Kummersdorf Proving Ground in Germany to the Berlin, but one broke down en route, while another fought near Wunsdorf (was supposed to go to Zoessen), but was destroyed to prevent capture. No Austria in the story anywhere--other than the Big Boss's birthplace.

Be sure to sign Release, Indemnify and Hold Harmless Agreement before going here for a simply stupendous piece on the German super heavies, an extensive article replete with blueprints, line drawings, artist renderings and pics. 

http://strangevehicles.greyfalcon.us/PANZERKAMPFWAGEN VIII MAUS.htm

The Maus is behemoth cool, but I'd rather see BFC do other things with all that time, effort and money: Panther IR and Uhu IR target searchlight for night fighting, Wanze, Jagdpanther 88s dug in practically flush with the ground on improvised field mounts, proper street barricades, log cribs, fortified buildings and large blockhouses, etc.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Actually in A Time For Trumpets MacDonald mentions IR spotlight equipped panthers being sent into the offensive. No further mention though.

Im now reading his Company Commander book which is... excellent to say the least.

Belton Coopers Death Traps is good but I havent read all of it yet though a flyleaf description was certainly offputting. Its not a direct quote but  basically says it describes the experiences of the US tank repair units etc which the Wehrmacht did not have. Which is nonsense. The Wehrmacht repaired battle damaged tanks all the time when salvageable. I think Mr Cooper may simply have gotten the wrong impression only seeing the Wehrmacht from June 44 to the end.

Obviously an army in retreat cant salvage many vehicles.

Im now reading his Company Commander book which is... excellent to say the least.

Heartily agree. I read it ~35 years ago and thought it the best memoir written from this level of command I had ever read, an opinion I have not yet found it necessary to change. I have recommended it several times in these pages.

Michael