Ok, damn the torpedo's full speed ahead.

I have put off asking this question because of being afraid to come across the wrong way or making somebody mad or someone thinking " who the heck does he think he is " but decided to go ahead and ask in the hopes that I won't be doing any of the above.

I am really a very polite individual and very seldom in my life have tried to offend anybody but I do seem to come across like a jerk but

it's not intended it's just the way I word things I guess not realizing what it may sound like to others but never actually intend to do so.  Well,  maybe when if upset with someone but that rarely happens as I am a very gentle person by nature.  Really I am.  :-))  

Ok, so now that I've tried to get you to know and understand me a little I will ask my questions.  

Why do individuals use these weird rar and 7z files that are so hard to unzip or impossible to unzip.   I have found many mods I'd like to

use but can't seem to figure out how to unzip them.  An example would be Aris's mods.  They are all straight forward and unzip so nicely, have instructions on what to do with them and it makes using them so easy and pleasant.  

Any comments would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Lol no worries Lee.

Your answer very simply is there are multiple formats for archiving and zip is just one you are familiar with. Get 7-zip software, free and it will eliminate your problem. There really isn't anything weird about rar or 7z just a matter of personal preference.

Edited by sburke

Indeed they are just more archive formats. I know I often wonder why we need more formats but if is what if is. I believe that the latest Winzip also handles these new formats too.

Once you have a program that understands then just treat them like they were .zip files.

Edited by IanL

Geez, all that lead up and hand wringing I was expecting something AWESOME...your post was about as offensive as a puppy snuggling with a baby panda while a butterfly hugged a humming bird and the Carpenters played "Top of the World" and John Denver sang "Sunshine On My Shoulders" in the background.

Ok. I'm off...gonna ride my pony down to Cotton Candy Creek and weave me a tiara made of daisies and unicorn drool.

Mord.

Excellent !  I installed Winzip as suggested by lanL and all is working fine.  Was able to install several of the mods I couldn't before.  But still a special thanks to Mord for the songs.  Two of my favorite songs actually.    :-)) I tired the 7zip sburke but my overly protective Webroot wouldn't let me install it.   :-((

Are you on a Mac? I could've sworn that 7zip came with Windows 8. But anyway, I have been trying to do all my latest mods with just regular zip so people don't have all these problems.

Mord.

Hey Mord.  No, not a Mac.  I do have windows 8.1 but no 7 zip capabilities.  Looks like the Winzip is doing the job just fine though although it's free for a limited time so will have to face that shortly.  

That would be great going to regular zips and I'm sure a lot more people would be using your mods.  :-))

I wonder why my security program won't let me download those 7z's.  I mean they ( the sites )  looks to be legit but I'm afraid to ignore my Webroot.   

Well, I do know Win 8.1 has a plain zip function built into it that is basically just like Winzip. You right click on a folder or files, go down to "Send To" and there'll be an option that says "compressed (zipped) folder".

If you really want the 7Zip program try getting it through CNET, that's usually where I go when I am not sure about a program.

Mord.