New player and Forum member.

Pat O

Just wanted to say hello. I just purchased the game and am very excited to have a game that is so complex. Reading through the forums I can see that this is a very serious community with great information. 

i am myself a combat Infantry veteran and purple heart recipient. I was a member of the Army's very first stryker battalion 1-23 INF during the experimental phase and deployed with them twice to Iraq. I had ICV 0004 so I am pleased to see a game that allows me to use that old tactical noodle again. Looking forward to learning from you guys and being a part of this community.

Welcome! You're gonna have a good time with it. There are some active gaming communities primarily play Combat Mission, The Few Good Men and The Blitz come to mind. There's a mix of ex military and civilians who play, so you always have the option of going up against people who've studied tactics. Krause is a youtuber who posts some cool videos of CMBS playthroughs every once in a while, you should check him out.

Welcome Pat. I only recently joined the community myself (even though been playing CM titles for years), and there is a really good bunch of guys on here, who will help you out whenever you need it. 

Also strongly recommend to download some of the Mods over in the modding corner. I was shying away from them, delaying their inclusion until I better understood game mechanics, but some of the mods really do make the game feel better. It will still play the same in terms of the underlying mechanisms, but everything will look, act and feel more awesome!

http://community.battlefront.com/forum/101-cm-black-sea-maps-and-mods/

I do like modern because I know the equipment but I am interested in the Ww2 ones the company makes as well. So far impressed with cmbs are the rest as good

In terms of functionality, they all work the same way, so if you like the way things are done in CMBS you won't be disappointed.

Each of the other games has their unique units, terrain features and of course a lot of stuff that is common to all by virtue of being set in WWII Europe. My favourite is CMBN, but that's my own tastes that dictate that. I have CMFI AND CMRT as well, and each has their own flavour that makes them different from the others. CMBN has been around longer so has more expansions than any other game. If you like Normandy and Market Garden you're golden with that. If you want to see what it was like slogging the hilly countryside of Italy, and be able to go back to mid-1943, then CMFI is great. And if you want to leave the western allies behind and fight to free Russia the. CMRT Is fantastic. Each nation functions differently with different kit and also different tactical methods, so one is not like the other.

My recommendation:

-if you can't pick one then go for the full CMBN experience.

-if you have a locale you prefer, buy the one that happens there.

Edited by Bud_B

In terms of functionality, they all work the same way, so if you like the way things are done in CMBS you won't be disappointed.

I don't want to detract from what @Bud_B said because it is a great overview of the WW2 titles and what he says about all the games working the same way is mostly true. However, Shock Force (CMSF) is a bit of the odd duck out.  Not that there is anything wrong with it it just has not been updated in a while while the other games are all based on the same core engine CMSF is not quite there.

By way of background CMSF was the first title created using BFC's new engine.  They had lots of growing pains and did a lot of work to patch it and get it into a good place.  With the introduction of Battle for Normandy (CMBN) they did a lot of work on the way the game was structured internally including the ability to upgrade the core engine as new features were added (although at the time they did not tell us about that).  So when Fortress Italy (CMFI) came out some of the features were not Italy specific and were made available in a upgrade package for CMBN (target briefly, armour target arc, 2D map overlay to name just a few).  Then they did the same thing with Red Thunder (CMRT) came out offering an update for both CMBN and CMFI too.  But CMSF was never equipped to benefit from this kind of upgrade so it is still using the same core engine it always did.  Just so you know and to add a bit of the background.

Pat Oglesbee,

Welcome aboard!

(makes mental note to sue panzersaurkrautwerfer for using my greeting expression)

I'm sure you'll find the game both fun and educational. Besides, the battlefield is so lethal you'll be able to play several battles in the time you'd normally be able to play but one of the WW II CMx2 titles! We have a bunch of BTDT and active duty US military types here, as well as those of many other nations, and I shall be most interested to see what you think of CMBS from the perspective of a highly trained warrior and combat veteran.

Unless I have my units crossed up, I believe you may've known my brother, SFC George Kettler. He was, I think, in the 3/2 SBCT, 1/23 H&HQ. Whatever his unit was, I distinctly recall his SBCT was the first ever deployed into combat and was based at Ft. Lewis, Washington. He was a Scout, who'd come up on Bradleys and Hummers, but was then responsible for radios and tactical displays in the Brigade(?) TOC. His duty ride, as opposed to outside the wire on rotating patrol, was a Hummer with a big generator on the back. He barely got out before Stop Loss would've claimed him; he is now retired and in the Sea-Tac area.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Pat Oglesbee,

Welcome aboard!

(makes mental note to sue panzersaurkrautwerfer for using my greeting expression)

I'm sure you'll find the game both fun and educational. Besides, the battlefield is so lethal you'll be able to play several battles in the time you'd normally be able to play but one of the WW II CMx2 titles! We have a bunch of BTDT and active duty US military types here, as well as those of many other nations, and I shall be most interested to see what you think of CMBS from the perspective of a highly trained warrior and combat veteran.

Unless I have my units crossed up, I believe you may've known my brother, SFC George Kettler. He was, I think, in the 3/2 SBCT, 1/23 H&HQ. Whatever his unit was, I distinctly recall his SBCT was the first ever deployed into combat and was based at Ft. Lewis, Washington. He was a Scout, who'd come up on Bradleys and Hummers, but was then responsible for radios and tactical displays in the Brigade(?) TOC. His duty ride, as opposed to outside the wire on rotating patrol, was a Hummer with a big generator on the back. He barely got out before Stop Loss would've claimed him; he is now retired and in the Sea-Tac area.

Regards,

John Kettler

Seems I do remember a Kettler. I was 1-23 Comanche until I left in 2008. If he monitored things at the Brigade Toc I would not have had much interaction except at some briefings or with the Brigade SMAJ. I was 3/2 SBCT so we were part of the same unit. As to your question regarding my opinion on CMBS, So far I am impressed with the level of micro terrain that can be exploited and as a overall PLT and above C2 workout. Being able to effectively simulate combined arms in a realistic tactics driven environment. The level of detail for the individual soldier equipment down to thermals etc. is impressive. As for an overall strategy game this is the best I have found that isn't hokey. I could give a better review once I have learned the mechanics better and got a lot more games under my belt. I enjoy it and very much so far.