Movie White Tiger

rocketman,

All I've seen are trailers, which were more than enough to convince me this is Moby Dick set in a ludicrous GPW armored warfare context. Any doubts on this score should be resolved by the presence of a gleaming white Tiger 1 under seasonal conditions clearly not winter or even early spring. One review I saw called it, and rightly so, "Moby Dick on tracks." The movie looks cool, and it's always good to see actual period AFVs, uniforms and weapons (have PTSD from the visual disaster of a film called "Battle of the Bulge). Have fun with the movie you asked about!  I really want to see "1944," which also has real GPW Russian AFVs, plus other goodies, and what appears to be an amazing plot.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Americans have their cowboy movies which have only a nodding acquaintance with historical reality. Russians have their WWII films.  'White Tiger' is a popcorn movie, not a historical document by any stretch of the imagination. One word of warning, you might want to shut off the film before the final scene - An interview with Hitler that is nothing but tacked-on propaganda. 100% Putin totalitarian state anti-western raging paranoia. It was stomach-turning to watch, ruined what was otherwise a light weight shoot-em-up.

Watching 'Fury' last year I got the impression that film was the American version of 'White Tiger'. Not the same fantasy story line of course, but the same colorful tank crewmembers, the drab wartime surroundings, the same somber tone, very nearly the same cinematography. And with is own somewhat stomach-turning world view that ruined the film for me.

Interestingly, the Fury Sherman wasn't an M4A3 but a diesel engined late war M4A2 Lend Lease Sherman.

Edited by MikeyD

Cowboy movies are not meant to be historically accurate. The genre is about the state of mind and personality of people living in the American West in the early to mid 19th Century. Most cowboy movies revolve around people not historical events. Horses and six guns, damsels in distress and villans are all that are needed.

Edited by Nidan1

The genre is about the state of mind and personality of people living in the mid 2th Century. Most movies revolve around people not historical events.

That is just as true of WWII movies.

Edited by JonS

Yeah but on this website posters are more likely to tear apart a WW2 movie because it has M-48 tanks in place of something that remotely looks like a Panther tank, than an actor playing a Cheyanne Warrior wearing the wrong style warpaint.

An interview with Hitler that is nothing but tacked-on propaganda. 100% Putin totalitarian state anti-western raging paranoia. It was stomach-turning to watch, ruined what was otherwise a light weight shoot-em-up.

When I saw Hitler in the trailer I became really suspicious - and it seems I had good reason to be so. Maybe best to stay away from this one.

Yeah but on this website posters are more likely to tear apart a WW2 movie because it has M-48 tanks in place of something that remotely looks like a Panther tank, than an actor playing a Cheyanne Warrior wearing the wrong style warpaint.

You have no idea the crapstorm i caused the last time I saw a Hollywood indian.

Hi,

Yes... the Russians certainly do have the filming and effects techniques. They are often stunning. But as others have said they love exaggerated, caricature type war movies.

Why not if they sell and people enjoy them, like Clint Eastwood cowboy films are Mikey mentioned.

But would be great if they did also make the odd one aimed at being authentic.

All the best,

Kip.

Hi,

Just to be clear... by “authentic...” I don’t mean Fury. Again techniques and effects good.. but not authentic.

No.. all the ones I rate are TV/streaming series..

Pacific, Band of Brothers, Generation War, Das Boot.

All others may still be “sort of OK..” but the above are only ones I put in the top bracket. Way better than the rest.

But each to their own.. :).

All the best,

Kip.

rocketman,

The movie looks cool, and it's always good to see actual period AFVs, uniforms and weapons (have PTSD from the visual disaster of a film called "Battle of the Bulge

Regards,

John Kettler

Ah! Battle of the Bulge. Even my wife, whose understanding of military matters is essentially zero, questioned the authenticity of destroying panzers with burning oil drums.

Ah! Battle of the Bulge. Even my wife, whose understanding of military matters is essentially zero, questioned the authenticity of destroying panzers with burning oil drums.

:D Thank you for the laughs. :) Do you mean this old battle of the bulge film?

No, just suspense. The famous Tiger has some "magic" appearances and, if I recall right, the starring Russian tanker feels with his tanks and is sort of "re-born", just to kill the White Tiger.

Otherwise, just too many pictures of burned tankers, after the battles.