AMD GPU ? Try this !

Wiggum15

Hi !

we all know that CMx2 + AMD GPU + most drivers gives you long loading times, bad performance or graphic glitches...
And we all know that updating or downgrading the GPU driver is one of the few things that an help...
But updating or downgrading your GPU drivers is a pain in the a** and can cause problems with other games.

But there is a way of using a newer or older AMD OpenGL driver without changing your whole GPU driver !

How does it work ?

• Download a older or newer (or Beta) AMD Catalyst Driver
  • Open the the "driver_you_just_downloaded.exe" with a program like 7zip
  • Inside that directory, traverse into ->Packages\Drivers\Display\W86A_INF (depends on the driver)\B151068 (depends on the driver) and look for the file: atioglxx.dl_ and copy (unpack) it to your CMBS folder (the folder where the game .exe is located !)
  • Open a command window (On the start menu, type "cmd.exe" in the search box, you should see "cmd.exe" appear at the top search results. Right click on this and run as administrator)
  • You should now be in a DOS prompt/DOS box command shell.
  • Type CD C:\Program Files (x86)\Battlefront\Combat Mission Black Sea (or whatever, its the directory where you installed CMBS) and hit enter
  • Now type EXPAND ATIOGLXX.DL_ ATIOGLXX.DLL
    * It should say the file has inflated or expanded like 127% or similar factor.
  • You now should see a atioglxx.dl_ and a atioglxx.dll
  • You can delete the atioglxx.dl_ now

CMBS will now use the AMD OpenGL driver from the driver you took the atioglxx.dl_ from, it only affects CMBS and by deleting the atioglxx.dll you can undo it in a second !

This works with all CMx2 games !

Edited by Wiggum15

I use the latest Beta but 14.4 also looks better then other, you have to try different ones and see which atioglxx.dll works best with your system, its pretty easy and fast with the way i described above.

To be clear, by "I use the latest AMD Beta driver" i mean i actually only use the atioglxx.dll from the latest AMD Beta driver... :D

I tried 5 different ones and the atioglxx.dll from the latest AMD Beta driver works best.

Edited by Wiggum15

To be clear, by "I use the latest AMD Beta driver" i mean i actually only use the atioglxx.dll from the latest AMD Beta driver... :D

I tried 5 different ones and the atioglxx.dll from the latest AMD Beta driver works best.

Hi, which Beta driver are you using, the 14.11.2 ?

• 2 weeks later...

Stagler,

(Ben Stein VO)

Wow!

(End VO)

Regarding your #11, i feel safe in asserting you have forever redefined and greatly expanded the meaning of "family friendly" regarding the Forums. Appreciation is a good thing, but this may be taking it to extremes. Contrariwise, I don't have a PC and run an ancient ATI Radeon 4670 graphics chip on my equally ancient late 2009 iMac. Therefore, I'm not AMD GPU bedeviled, so maybe such an extraordinary expression of gratitude on your part to Wiggum15 is indeed warranted. In any case, a CM first!

Regards,

John Kettler