Were there any flame vehicles in Italy before June '44?

One of the main new features in 3.0 is it allows for flamethrowers and flame vehicles. I admit I'm being cheap, but the primary reason I haven't purchased 3.0 for CMFI is there isn't a Pack with such weapons as there was for CMBN. I was wondering, however, that while there were certainly flamethrowers, perhaps there actually weren't any flame vehicles in use in Italy prior to the end date for Gustav Line in June '44. Can any one enlighten me?

Thanks

Sequoia,

The Germans had Flammpanzer IIIs in Italy, with several captured and reported in Tactical and Technical Trends, No. 45, April 1, 1944. Not an April Fool's joke! The Germans (per June 28, 2004 list by Patrice on Axis Forum), had no less than 17 Flammpanzer III located in Salerno and Naples as part of 26 PD in August-September of 1943. This tracks well with the above. A few years ago, in what I believe was Fine Scale Modeler in a kit review for one of these, there was a harrowing account of GIs in Sicily, but maybe Italy, experiencing a Dragon Run through a village by these things. And, yes, I used "dragon" with malice intent, for they came roaring into town blazing away in all directions and leaving shocked GIs in need of new underwear, before racing out as fast as they'd come in. Also, in another AH question, the response looks at the theoretical opportunities for a German division to have had both Flammpanzer III and SdKfz251/16s operating together. Am afraid you'll need to see where these divisions are at the dates listed, though there is one that specifically indicates 14 PD had detached Flammpanzer III from that Zug and got back seven from service in Italy in November of 1943.

Regards,

John Kettler

Thanks John. There is at least one flame vehicle that could be put into a Gustav Line Module timeline Vehicle Pack. Let me open up the question then to what other Vehicles could be added to the same timeline (i.e. June '44 and earlier) for a CMFI Vehicle pack that will give us flamethrowers without having to wait for a end of the war module?

Some suggestions:  Stuart Kangaroos.  AEC Armored Cars.

Just to add, the Flammpanzers III's were also in action around the Moro River campaign in Nov/Dec 1943. There was one incident where a combined arms assault against New Zealand positions in the middle of night with the Flammpanzers advancing to light up every barn and haystack thinking they were part of the Kiwi defensive lines. The resulting fires lit up the German advance and the silhouetted tanks became easy pickings for the Kiwi AT gunners.

In my opinion, it's no so much a question of individual vehicles for CMFI but the chance to flesh out other nations OOB's that took part in the fighting. Indian, French, South African oh and the German Gebirgsjager. :)

Edited by Ithikial_AU

In my opinion, it's no so much a question of individual vehicles for CMFI but the chance to flesh out other nations OOB's that took part in the fighting. Indian, French, South African oh and the German Gebirgsjager. :)

And I would agree with that and I'd like to see it myself. What I was thinking however, and I see I wasn't really clear about it, if we can't have that anytime soon perhaps at least we could get a vehicle pack as CMBN did with flamethrowers and flame vehicles and other possible odds and ends that fit into the Gustav Line timeframe of June '44 and earlier. I wasn't sure though if any flame vehicles fit into this period hence my question. We now see there was at least one flame vehicle and I was wondering what else one could throw into the pack. The Red Thunder Players are grumbling that Red Thunder has become the forgotten red haired step-child of Battlefront (prematurely in my opinion) Fortress Italy is the real forgotten child. 

Continuing along this line would the Sherman Crab and AVRE fit pre-June '44?  

Continuing along this line would the Sherman Crab and AVRE fit pre-June '44?  

I don't think they were deployed to Italy but could be mistaken. The Churchill is barely available in CMFI (from hazy memory), only in May 1944 I think for select British formations.

I think 'forgotten child' is a bad metaphor in BF's case. I'm not trying to go all fanboyish, but their current policies about 'families of games/modules/packs' means certain titles don't get new content for a few years. However they are all kept up to date with the upgrade system in the meantime. No real idea but I'm guessing that once the hard work is done for getting the guts of the 1945 OOB's (including new vehicle models etc) we'll see those late war modules come out for all titles one after the other. (Though not necessarily in a short space of time). CMFI will get some love around then. :)

Edited by Ithikial_AU

I'm not trying to go all fanboyish, but their current policies about 'families of games/modules/packs' means certain titles don't get new content for a few years. However they are all kept up to date with the upgrade system in the meantime.

Talking sense should not get you called a fanboi.  The thought that anyone might worry about that I find a drag.  Sigh.

I would say that Battlefront making wise business decisions is the best way in the long term for every game family to get the most content in the long run. I think their longevity shows that they have been doing so and some one understanding that does not make them a fanboy. My comment about the forgotten child is mostly in response to posts in the Red Thunder forum that Red Thunder has been forgotten with Black Sea out and work being done on the Bulge. Red Thunder hasn't been out a year yet and it's been a couple years since new Fortress Italy content. I too think there will be new content for Italy but I don't see it happening soon and I'm lobbying for a quick (I know there's probably no such thing) means of somehow introducing flame weapons that 3.0, which is available for FI, provides. 

No offense was taken.

At one time Steve mentioned the posibility of doing mini-packs. Would anyone else besides me pay $5 for flamethrowers and the Flammpanzer III? 

PS and maybe throw in the extra fortifications that the CMBN Vehicle Pack had.

Edited by Sequoia

Sequoia,

Though it's newer, the CMRT players do have a point. CMFI,has GL; CMBN has CW, MG ands a Vehicle Pack, but CMRT has no Module at all.

Ithikial_AU,

The Sherman Crab was present at the Anzio breakout. Briefly. The first two attempting to clear the minefields each met Mr. Panzerschreck in his ETO combat debut. Fortunately for the Allies, that wasn't the entire supply of Crabs, but what a depressing start to a breakout.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

• 4 weeks later...

No offense was taken.

At one time Steve mentioned the posibility of doing mini-packs. Would anyone else besides me pay $5 for flamethrowers and the Flammpanzer III? 

PS and maybe throw in the extra fortifications that the CMBN Vehicle Pack had.

I'd sign up for almost anything BF puts out, but IIRC the last announcement regarding CMFI is they expect another module. We may or may not ever get a pack depending on the content of the module and if there is enough left afterwards to warrant one. A lot of the allied and German vehicles should be fleshed out between CMBN and the bulge family. The additional content for Italy is more likely as others noted nationality stuff. In a way that is a good thing as it could mean the biggest baddest module yet.

Oh and Ian, you are a fanboi. Wear it proud. I won't apologize for loving this game and respecting the company.

I am the god of hell fire and I bring you ... maybe  -CMFI with exuberance ;)

Toggle intro video - War Movie Mode ON

- 1-2-3...

Fire, I'll take you to burn.
Fire, I'll take you to learn.
I'll see you burn!

Friday afternoon ... :D

post-67066-0-63289700-1429308455_thumb.j

Edited by Buzz