will ukraine have a t72

emccabe

if they have them why not use them

Because a tank doesn't drive, maintain, fuel, and fight itself. They can only field as many tanks as they can train crews and logistically support in the field.

And if you have more chassis than you can field, it makes sense to reduce the number of types you keep active; easier to support and maintain 2 tank types than 3.

Soviets had basically two lineages of main battle tanks after T-54/55. Malyshev Plant in Kharkov (Ukraine) made T-64's then T-80's* and now T-84's. UralVagonZavod in the Urals made T-62's then T-72's and now T-90's. T-64 and T-80 were superior to T-62 and T-72 but they were more complex and expensive and Red Army kept them all to themselves, not even sharing them with Warsaw Pact allies, let alone selling them to Arab armies.

Wikipedia mentions some advantages that T-64 had vs. T-72, of course YMMV with different modernized versions:

• The automatic loader is hydraulic, not electric, thus is much faster (loading cycle of 6 to 13 seconds), more reliable, and less sensitive to jolting when running off-road. It also has a "sequence" fire mode that feeds the gun with shells of the same type in less than five seconds. It is also able, in the modern versions, to turn backwards to keep a good speed at the end of the loading sequence.
  • Driving seems much less exhausting for the crew, thanks to assisted controls and a more flexible suspension. (Perrett 1987:43)
  • The ammunition is stowed at the lower point of the turret shaft, minimizing the risks of destruction by self-detonation.[citation needed]
  • The tank commander's cupola provides good vision, the antiaircraft machine gun can be operated from inside the turret; the commander can also control the main gun sight if necessary.

More on the auto-loader differences:

Like the earlier domestic-use-only T-64, the T-72 is equipped with an automatic loading system, eliminating the need for a dedicated crewmember, decreasing the size of the tank, and hence the mass.

However, the autoloader is of noticeably different design. Both the T-64 and T-72 carry their two-section 125 mm ammunition (shell and full propellant charge, or missile and reduced propellant charge) in separate loading trays positioned on top of each other; but firstly, in T-64, 28 of these were arranged vertically as a ring under the turret ring proper, and were rotated to put the correct tray into position under the hoist system in the turret rear. This had the disadvantage of cutting the turret off from the rest of the tank, most notably, the driver. Accessing the hull required partial removal of the trays. T-72 uses a design that has lower width requirements, and does not isolate the turret compartment: the trays are arranged in a circle at the very bottom of the fighting compartment; the payoff is the reduction of the number of trays to 22. The second difference was that in the T-64 the trays were hinged together and were flipped open as they were brought into position, allowing both the shell/missile and propellant charge to be rammed into the breech in one motion; in T-72 the tray is brought to the breech as-is, with the shell in the lower slot and the charge in the upper one, and the mechanical rammer sequentially loads each of them, resulting in a longer reloading cycle.[43]

*T-80 was also manufactured by Russian plants, but despite rumours the supposed Black Eagle was dropped. As was T-95. The next Russian MBT is going to be T-14, which despite the name is not a development of T-10 but T-90 - and that way it's a bastard grandgrandchild of T-62.

Wow, those tanks sure aren't looking too good.

The T-64 and the T-72 made up the Soviet two-tank strategy. The T-64 was the advanced tank which equipped elite divisions (Guards), while the T-72 was meant to be the mainstay of the tank fleet equipping regular tank divisions and motor-rifle divisions. Later on the T-80 replaced the T-64 as the most advanced tank in Soviet army, while the T-72 remained a "mainstay-tank" (and export tank).

I believe the T-72 wasn't produced in Ukraine, only the T-64 and T-80, and that is the reason why the Ukrainians didn't continue using them.

Damn, Sergei - you beat me to it. :D

I haven't checked for combat footage the past 3 months or so, but previously I only really saw what looked like T-64BVs. On their parades I also saw newer tanks (T64 Bulat and T80/T84).

I didn't count %, but I see it on photos from time to time. It is simplier and may be more reliable than T-64.