Now for something completely different

Alright a Python fan!

Yep all antsy waiting to see how well they do with presenting the war. Lot's of good WW2 flicks lately, they have to live up to the standards to succeed.

I like the fact that Brad Pitt's Staff Sergeant Stripes are hand sewed on. Showing he's been at it awhile and has been promoted during the conflict or has drawn a new jacket from supply and had to sew it on himself as fancy tailor shops are not handy in a combat environment.

I remember having a sewing class that I taught to my troops so they could mend their uniforms in a presentable manner and in a way so the stitching would last.

Daroc,

Thanks for this! "Fury" is the war movie whose filming in England on Remembrance Day with a real German tank and a bunch of "German" soldiers and gear set a lot of teeth on edge. That is a real Tiger 1, normally found at Bovington in the Tank Museum there. Those Sherman tanks are way too close together, but it does look good on film. In one of the last assaults of the Tunisia Campaign, 3 RTR's tanks were 50 yards apart. The film looks wonderfully gritty, and there were infantrymen who got a few hours of training, if that, and found themselves part of tank crews. If that sounds crazy, is it any crazier than throwing a gunner, with a whole two weeks of gunnery school, more or less headlong into one of the lead tanks of 3rd AD right before a major attack begins? Read that incredible story and what happened subsequently in Irwin's Another River, Another town: A Teenage Gunner Comes of Age in Combat--1945.

mech.gato,

When/if I'm reunited with my library (as opposed to the small collection of books I have with me), I believe I have a 1960s vintage book on how to repair uniforms and equipment via hand sewing.

Regards,

John Kettler

Those Sherman tanks are way too close together, but it does look good on film. In one of the last assaults of the Tunisia Campaign, 3 RTR's tanks were 50 yards apart.

Spacing is a beast in combat, and sometimes out of combat.

April 43 in the Fondouk Pass.

ktoc2.jpg

13 Churchhills of the King's Own KO'ed in Normandy.

koneg0513.jpg