If you think pistols in CMx2/3 shoot too far...

Kieme(ITA),

If anyone can make such a shot, it's Jerry. His shooting credentials speak for themselves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Miculek

Placebo,

Nah. That's just holding high on the target! What's weird is that there's very little apparent muzzle elevation in the vid. That said, holding the range equivalent of 150 yards high amounts to only a 15% of the total range involved. Lacking an actual baseline trajectory diagram, it's hard to say much more.

JoMc67,

True. But if he breaks out the aiming stakes, a panoramic sight and fires from full defilade, then I'm calling a foul.

Regards,

John Kettler

Amazing. My son played on a hockey team once with the son of a member of JTF2. His Dad and I chatted often during practices - always unclassified stuff :) He used to tell stories of joint training exercises with various US special forces teams and one of the things they used to do for fun was have "who can hit targets with pistols from the longest distance". Basically they would run elimination rounds at progressively longer and longer distances until only one of the managed to hit the target. Crazy ranges.

I've personally seen some impressive distance shooting from a standing position with a Browning Buckmark .22 .

Of course, we all know that hitting a stationary target is far, far different than trying to hit a moving target or one that is shooting back.

10 meters should probably be maximum effective distance for handguns in CM.

Jerry's skills are well documented. No surprise he can do anything with a handgun.

And he would have had several tries. Most people would need several tries with a rifle, on a bench / bipod. And the wind would have been almost completely quiet.

Still, another great shooting example by JM.

Pistols are a short barrelled weapon with no stock to steady the weapon. They are therefore very difficult to use and it takes A LOT of practice to reach a standard where they can be used with the accuracy displayed by the PPK user in Mr Kettler's movie shown at the start of this thread.

The average grunt or squaddie probably gets to use a pistol only once or twice a year, hardly enough to develop the skill displayed here. In the 1940s many would never have shot one at all. We had a saying in the British Army, "If you have to shoot a pistol further than you can throw it, you are in big trouble."

Under combat conditions, 25 yards would be extreme range with a pistol for the average soldier, with probably a 95% or higher chance of missing. 15 yards would be a practical maximum with probably a 70 - 80% chance of missing. He would have to get within 5 - 7 yards to have a reasonable chance of connecting and even then He would probably miss 50% of the time.

It is very common for shooters under stress to miss at 3 yards... So PURLEEEZE don't think that you can use film footage of expert pistol shots performing on ranges under ideal conditions as an indication of the range at which soldiers can hit the target under combat conditions.

I'm with Doug Williams on this. Please Battlefront, reduce all pistol ranges DRASTICALLY with the first patch. Absolute maximum pistol range should really be no more than 20 yards.

SLR.

It is very common for shooters under stress to miss at 3 yards... So PURLEEEZE don't think that you can use film footage of expert pistol shots performing on ranges under ideal conditions as an indication of the range at which soldiers can hit the target under combat conditions.

I couldn't agree more.