304 new Force Specific Backgrounds

Hi all

I´ve just uploaded a couple of new sets of Force Specific Backgrounds for Red Thunder to http://cmmods.greenasjade.net

The red set (soviet) contains 143 backgrounds (183 MB zipped)

http://cmmods.greenasjade.net/mods/5338/details

The blue set (german) contains 161 backgrounds (200 MB zipped)

http://cmmods.greenasjade.net/mods/5339/details

14693160162_0393dd4c82_b.jpgforce-specific background blue 99

The pictures in these sets of Force Specific Backgrounds (FSB) are ones I have found on the web and then edited. My selection of pictures has primarily been dictated by my own preferences when looking at the loading pics in game:

If a picture catches my interest for more than ten seconds I figured it is probably interesting enough to serve as a FSB.

My motivation here is that quantity and variation is more important than quality. That means, that I think looking a new picture every time I load the game is preferable to looking at only a handful of high quality photos. If you agree, you should use this mod. I you don´t, don´t use it.

Personally, when looking at loading screens it is important to me that I am able to put the pictures I see into a context. My curiosity makes me want to know "when, where, what and who"?

So I have tried to answer these questions whenever it has been possible. Unfortunately, there are many pics without any hard info - especially on the soviet side.

As a rule of thumb I´ve tried to limit the captions to the most basic facts.

For instance:

Time

Individuals

But I have omitted info that is plainly obvious from looking at the picture.

The text is based on the info I have found with the picture on the web. So if the text is wrong, it is because the original info was wrong. I have no way of checking the validity of the content.

If there is no text, it is because I don´t know anything about the picture - except that is taken in the Soviet Union during the war. If it is taken in another country on the east front, the text should state so.

Generally, I haven´t named vehicles. This is to save time and because I assume most CM players would be familiar with the different types. Exceptions are pictures with captured vehicles used by the other side.

I have named artillery when I have info on the type. This is because these weapons aren´t on map - and thus not so familiar to players like myself.

Enjoy

14506733090_e2dfe19589_b.jpgforce-specific background red 29

14506999417_6438d7d585_b.jpgforce-specific background blue 8

Thanks.

If a picture catches my interest for more than ten seconds I figured it is probably interesting enough to serve as a FSB. My motivation here is that quantity and variation is more important than quality. That means, that I think looking a new picture every time I load the game is preferable to looking at only a handful of high quality photos.

I agree with this, and am working on a set of loading pics for CMBN with this in mind.

These are excellent.

One minor issue - it appears that you follow the nomenclature I'm familiar with

ie. Blue = Germans, Red = Soviets, but the game appears to have this reversed.

Thus in a QB ME playing as the Germans, I get the Soviet screens.

It might just be my game being "funny" as I have not tested extensively, but it might be worth looking into.

These are excellent.

It might just be my game being "funny" as I have not tested extensively, but it might be worth looking into.

Screens are chosen by random and not affected by the side you play. True for all titels.

Was surprised myself when I learned this. Wish it was controled by the side you play..

These are excellent.

Screens are chosen by random and not affected by the side you play. True for all titels.

Was surprised myself when I learned this. Wish it was controled by the side you play..

This is strange.

My game always loads the screens according to the side you play - in every CM title. The only exception is that the screen seems to be random the first time you begin a scenario or QB. But after that it is always force specific. I very rarely play quick battles, so I just ran a quick test to be sure - and quick battles work the same way as well.

Perhaps it is dependent on your OS? I run win XP (!).

This is strange.

My game always loads the screens according to the side you play - in every CM title. The only exception is that the screen seems to be random the first time you begin a scenario or QB. But after that it is always force specific. I very rarely play quick battles, so I just ran a quick test to be sure - and quick battles work the same way as well.

Perhaps it is dependent on your OS? I run win XP (!).

Im on win 8, had the same thing for win 7.

Playing Germans in RT at the moment with Allied background and US in FI with German backgrounds. Sure I have seen "correct" results as well.

Nice splash umlaut!

Thanks, but I´m not so sure myself. I´ve used it for some days now, and I can´t really get used to it. In fact I get a bit of a shock every time I load the game. :-/

Each to their own I guess even though you made it ;) . Now how about "my" west front KTs? ;)