HTs in RT

Been playing some h2h games and I can't give definite proof, but it seems to me they give more protection to their crews and gunners. I've seen them get sprayed with smg and even bullets from Maxim MGs and the gunners survive where as in other games they would have been gonners.

I also notice my Hanomags have some sort of contraption on the sides. Looks like some sorts of protection that allows infantry to shoot from the vehicle and gives protection?

The Hanomag with the 'contraption' has got to the the flamethrower vehicle - so have fun! :)

As to more crew protection, I have a small faded recollection than they might have lowered the MG man slightly so the gun shield gives him more protection... maybe. There was so much stuff done and suggested and discussed with this title that its all a jumble now.

Definitely not flamethrowers. All my hanomags have something that looks like a caterpillar thread on both sides when you views from a distance, but once you get closer you see that's its some sort of armor and may overhang slightly over the crew compartment.

Also has a gap that troops could fire from? If that is the case though I don't thing the occupants inside do fire from within the HT

Definitely not flamethrowers. All my hanomags have something that looks like a caterpillar thread on both sides when you views from a distance, but once you get closer you see that's its some sort of armor and may overhang slightly over the crew compartment.

Also has a gap that troops could fire from? If that is the case though I don't thing the occupants inside do fire from within the HT

Thats actually an engineering (Or pioneer half track since its German) half track. The "Caterpillars" on the side are actually bridging equipment!

Thats actually an engineering (Or pioneer half track since its German) half track. The "Caterpillars" on the side are actually bridging equipment!

And, sadly, purely cosmetic in the engineering department. I have no idea whether their pixels affect the protection afforded to the passengers and crew.

Mystery solved.

I'm getting a sense that given the amount of automatic firepower the Soviet infantry has, you may be better off keeping your pixel troops in the HTs instead of automatically dismounting them when in close contact with the enemy as many normally do in other modules like Normandy and Market Garden.

The SMG armed Soviets will hose down your dismounted troops easily. If they remain in the HT's the SMGs won't do much if any harm and the lack of bazookas or PIATs hiders the Russian infantry.

The AT rifles will easily penetrate the Hannomags, but usually only kill 1 or 2 occupants and occasionally penetrate but leave the occupants untouched.

The Hanomag with the 'contraption' has got to the the flamethrower vehicle - so have fun! :)

As to more crew protection, I have a small faded recollection than they might have lowered the MG man slightly so the gun shield gives him more protection... maybe. There was so much stuff done and suggested and discussed with this title that its all a jumble now.

I think your memory is correct, MikeyD. I recall that it was specifically stated in one of the threads on the testing forum. But then again, my memory ain't what it used to be.

What were we discussing?

I'm guessing in the discussions that unbuttoned HT & Armor Crews should have alittle more increased survivability.

This is because unbuttoned crew members in a running battle tend to duck & dodge when being fired upon, and not just standing in same position.

However, if it was an Ambush or Sharp/Sniper shot, then that becomes a different story, and crews have a higher chance of becoming a casualty.

Joe

Do you mean Soviet SMG squads? I'd say there is not a high probability to get penetrations of 8-10 mm of even vertical steel with the very low energy projectiles of a PPSH:

PPSH:

muzzle velocity: 488 m/s

ammo: 7,62 x 25 mm Tokarev - projectile weight: 5,5 gr -> energy: 654 Joule

In comparison the German SMG squads:

StG44:

muzzle velocity: 685 m/s

ammo: 7,92 x 33 mm Kurz - projectile weight: 8,1 gr -> energy: 1900 J

Or said otherwise: if the PPSH penetrates 10 mm of angled armor, then the MP44 should be a small ATG... :D