Stupid mod question

LC-

Sorry tried doing a search but I can never quite get the search function to work right.

Stupid question, once I download a mod, where or how do I install it? I figured I would just copy and paste into my CMRT folder but I don't see any bitmap images and I am completely computer illiterate so the readme is all greek to me.

Sorry for the complete newbie question.

If you installed it on the default pathway, Documents->Battlefront->Combat Mission->Red Thunder->User Data->Mods

Drop it in the Mods folder, start the game and you're set.

One thing to know is that you can't alt tab out, drop it in and have it show up. Have to start the game with the mod in the folder.

Ooops nope the only files I have are Data, Misc, and Mod Tools. Do I put them in the Mod tools folder I imagine?

Mod tools is for packing and unpacking the brz files. Unless you are interested in compiling all your mods into a brz or unpacking one to look at the files in it there is no reason to touch that folder.

Per page 113 of the manual

Now that you have created your mods as .brz file(s), it is time to see them work

inside Combat Mission. Here is the easiest way to be sure that your mod files get

loading priority over the files that ship standard with Combat Mission.

First, note that any enclosing folder names are included with file names in the alphabetical

priority comparison for loading. Now go inside your My Documents/../User

Data/Mods folder and create a new folder called “Z”. Because “Z” comes after

the names of the standard game files (“Version XXX”) you are guaranteed that

any mods you put into the “Z” folder will be loaded and used by Combat Mission.

Second, note that among the .brz mod files you create and put into this “Z” folder,

the alphabetical rule still applies within that folder. So if you have “MyMod1.brz”

and “MyMod2.brz” files both inside the “Z” folder, data from “MyMod2.brz” will

take priority over “MyMod1.brz” for any duplicate contents.

114 Combat Mission

You may also place single *non-brz* files into the Mods folder (such as individual

WAV or BMP files). Combat Mission can recognize individual BMP or WAV files

even when not packed into a BRZ file. This is not recommended when creating

a “mod pack” for use by others because dozens or hundreds of individual files

are difficult to manage, but it can be useful while you are creating your mod, and

want to test out small edits. Individual files are given loading priority over ALL

.brz files regardless of how they are named.

I am trying to find the exact location to install the CMBB Bases mod for the CMBO game. I have used the traditional install option but I can't find the exact location. I did place in z folder but it didn't work

Thanks

I also downloaded some things for Red Thunder as well, like the floating icon,

No, don't put it in mod tools. The old way was to create a sub-folder of the Data folder and call it 'z', then put all mods in that. I've done this with CMRT and it works

Is there any difference (playabilty, load times, etc) between using the mods folder vs creating a z folder?

You need the mod tool to extract/unpack the files/folders when they are in brz format. But there is no need to pack mods up into a brz format in the first place. You can just zip them from a file/folder form, then the mod slut/enthusiast can just unzip them and no brz to deal with. I unpack the default data brz's that come with the game with the mod tool, but generally don't need to use it after that, except for a very few modders that still brz their mods.

All I have is Data, Misc and Mod Tools...Which one do they belong in?

Also when I go into the battles page in the actual game its got Orsha Mater Map 1 (Map 1 to 5) and Radzymin Master Map 1 (Maps 1-5) ... They aren't playable battles and look like maps that should be used for quick battles...

All I have is Data, Misc and Mod Tools...Which one do they belong in?

wrong folder. :D You need to go to the mydocs/Battlefront/Combat Mission/Red Thunder directory. In there you will have user data and game files folders. Mods are in the mods folder under user data. Scenarios and the like go into the appropriate folder under game files.

wrong folder. :D You need to go to the mydocs/Battlefront/Combat Mission/Red Thunder directory. In there you will have user data and game files folders. Mods are in the mods folder under user data. Scenarios and the like go into the appropriate folder under game files.

This one worked for me. Cheers!

Also when I go into the battles page in the actual game its got Orsha Mater Map 1 (Map 1 to 5) and Radzymin Master Map 1 (Maps 1-5) ... They aren't playable battles and look like maps that should be used for quick battles...

Those wonderful maps are typically used to create scenarios. You can take them (usually a piece of them) and give them AI plans to use in QB's as well.