Bored With Russian Front

Im bored with it.

Russian Player: Hello there Mr German Player, See that Big A55 artillery? You're dead

German Player: Yeah, pretty much. Bye.

Frankly, I prefer the Italian Campaign over any of these games. Western Front is boring too.

Sorry, but I'll be giving my RT copy away.

Anyone who wants to play in Mid War Italy however - a real contest - be sure to hit me up for a game.

@ Medlinke

The whole war.

Soviets: BOOM BOOM BOOM

Germans: Yeah, we get that. BRRRRR BRRRRR (MG42). Retreat. BRRRRR BRRRRR. OK So long! You wanted the Soviets over well made cars and planes that actually fly, you got it for the next 50 years! Enjoy that!

@mpv7

I can't bring myself to play the Soviets after the fact they murdered 20 million people before the Nazis even really killed anyone (SA Purges/Kristalnacht excepted) and it seems that the Germans really only wanted a strong German SOI just to stop these guys. Doesn't seem right.

PS The Germans won - Russians love living in German SOI cities in Germany, Cz and Hu etc. So does everyone else including Brooklyn hipsters.

Actually, I suspect if you actually bothered to play the game for a while to get familiar with a good sample of the scenarios/campaigns, you'd find that if anything big artillery is less common in CMRT than in CMBN, or possibly even CMFI.

Historically, the Soviets certainly did have a lot of big artillery, but they used most of the big stuff at higher scales than what CM represents. This puts it out of the realm of most CMRT battles.

There are exceptions, but what you tend to get in a CMRT Soviet attack is a battle that starts just after the Soviet prep barrage. At this level of engagement, Soviet indirect support is actually fairly thin; often limited to just mortars. You have to rely heavily on direct fire from your AFVs to deal with defensive strongpoints. The Soviets do often have plenty of big on-map HE chuckers, but these come with their own weaknesses; most of them are not particularly heavily armored and definitely vulnerable to common German AT assets.

This is a big contrast to the Western Allies, where you often get substantial amounts of 25 pdr., 105mm and higher on the attack, generally with a fairly quick response time.

@ Medlinke

The whole war.

Soviets: BOOM BOOM BOOM

Germans: Yeah, we get that. BRRRRR BRRRRR (MG42). Retreat. BRRRRR BRRRRR. OK So long! You wanted the Soviets over well made cars and planes that actually fly, you got it for the next 50 years! Enjoy that!

@mpv7

I can't bring myself to play the Soviets after the fact they murdered 20 million people before the Nazis even really killed anyone (SA Purges/Kristalnacht excepted) and it seems that the Germans really only wanted a strong German SOI just to stop these guys. Doesn't seem right.

PS The Germans won - Russians love living in German SOI cities in Germany, Cz and Hu etc. So does everyone else including Brooklyn hipsters.

PS My nephew who believes the Hollywood BS about how the Soviets were "good" gets my copy. Sorry everyone. He'll learn soon enough.

Eeeh... I don't even know how to respond to those statements...

Firstly, I don't remember hollywood making the soviets out to be heroes... well... ever.

Unless you count that one movie with arnold where he is a russian cop...

And secondly, both sides on the east front were pretty "bad" when it comes to mass slaughter.

It's a wargame tho, so any side is going to be kinda bad no matter what... it's a game about killing people...

Im bored with it.

Russian Player: Hello there Mr German Player, See that Big A55 artillery? You're dead

German Player: Yeah, pretty much. Bye.

Frankly, I prefer the Italian Campaign over any of these games. Western Front is boring too.

Sorry, but I'll be giving my RT copy away.

Anyone who wants to play in Mid War Italy however - a real contest - be sure to hit me up for a game.

There is a serious underrepresentation of artillery in almost all CM campaigns. IRL enemy positions were bombarded for hours if not days before assaults and there was a lot more arty available during assaults.

Interesting.....

Not sure what you played, but having beta tested quite a few of the scenarios I can't really remember experiencing what you described. I've been playing it for weeks and you've had it a couple hours?

I think you should buy Wodin a copy just on general principle now.

How is it crazy to look at history and see a country that in its own mind - rightly or wrongly - wanted a strong SOI to protect it from a neighbor that seemed content to murder 20 million of its own people? Didnt Russians beg to live in Europe at the time? I can tell you now, many today would give their right arm to live in Germany.

That I don't get.

Start with this book http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2258833.Churchill_Hitler_and_The_Unnecessary_War_

'How is it crazy to look at history and see a country that in its own mind - rightly or wrongly - wanted a strong SOI to protect it from a neighbor that seemed content to murder 20 million of its own people? Didnt Russians beg to live in Europe at the time? I can tell you now, many today would give their right arm to live in Germany."

What does this have to do with anything in the game?

Steve please Ban him away to Siberia.

Brooklyn hipsters drinking too much...falling onto tram tracks...resulting injuries?

Look, I get it. Hitler Bad. Stalin Relatively Good. But seriously, you guys can't discuss history without getting your panties in a bunch?

Even the NY Times can handle it

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/02/04/world/major-soviet-paper-says-20-million-died-as-victims-of-stalin.html

I get it - the Saxons were invited in over the course of centuries to live among the Eastern people when there were Mongol and Turkic threats. But come 1944 it was time to expel them and murder them. Suddenly they weren't good enough.

Still, I find the game boring and can't play one side despite wanting to. Can't bring myself to do it.