Toggle Trees

Pressing Alt-t in game always takes me to the desktop. I've never been able to turn the trees off. I'm wondering if having other applications running in the background (browser?) might be clashing with the hotkey. All the other hot keys work fine just not the bloody trees. Anyone else experience this?

Sounds annoying. May I suggest - as an experiment - remap one of the keys that works to be for trees and set alt T for the other thing and then see if you can turn off trees and see if alt T still takes you to the desktop. That way you can eliminate a game defect and concentrate on what other tool is using alt T.

At one point you had the edit a hotkeys.txt file outside of the game but newer versions have a way to do it under the Options panel.

I do see the hotkeys.txt file but entries within it relate only to the commands encountered on the in-game UI (FAST, SLOW, TARGET, TARGET ARC etc) and camera movement. No toggle trees option. Clicked on Options on the start menu, clicked on Controls and again no toggle trees option listed only those entries that exist in the hotkeys.txt file. Perhaps that's the problem?

This is what I've got in the hotkeys.txt file:

// You can edit this file to modify various in-game functions and hot-key based commands. Use of special characters (shift, alt, control, numpad or function keys) is not permitted. The letter in <>'s (E,F or G) designates the language (English, French or German).

Command Keys Direct

//FAST

<E>B

//QUICK

<E>I

//MOVE

<E>N

//SLOW

<E>O

//HUNT

<E>U

//ASSAULT

<E>L

//REVERSE

<E>\

//BLAST

<E>

//MARK MINES

<E>

//TARGET

<E>T

//TARGET LIGHT

<E>Y

//TARGET ARC

<E>K

//CLEAR TARGET

<E>

//FACE

<E>G

//TARGET SMOKE

<E>

//TARGET ARMOR ARC

<E>M

//TARGET BRIEFLY

<E>J

//DEPLOY WEAPON

<E>/

//PAUSE

<E>P

//HIDE

<E>H

//DISMOUNT

<E>[

//BAIL OUT

<E>

//OPEN UP

<E>]

//POP SMOKE

<E>;

//ACQUIRE

<E>

//SPLIT TEAMS

<E>

//ASSAULT TEAM

<E>

//ANTITANK TEAM

<E>

//SCOUT TEAM

<E>

//DRIVER TEAM

<E>

Camera Keys

//MOVE FORWARD

<E>W

//MOVE LEFT

<E>A

//MOVE RIGHT

<E>D

//MOVE BACK

<E>S

//ROTATE LEFT

<E>Q

//ROTATE RIGHT

<E>E

//REVERSE DIRECTION

<E>V

//RAISE

<E>R

//LOWER

<E>F

//ZOOM OUT

<E>Z

//ZOOM IN

<E>X

//WIDE ANGLE

<E>C

Misc Keys

//SELECT PREVIOUS UNIT

<E>-

//SELECT NEXT UNIT

<E>=

//3D MODEL QUALITY (-)

<E>{

//3D MODEL QUALITY (+)

<E>}

//TALK TO INTERNET OPPONENT

<E>`

But, now that I think about it, all the other ALT- toggle commands work (movies mode, landmarks etc) just not trees.

I have settled on a full set of custom keys now (where A is Assault and S is Slow), and for camera shift movement I chose (because all the letters are already taken by commands):

[ Left

] Right

' Forward

/ Backwards

(the camera rotation keys default to the arrow keys, so I didn't redefine those)

However, the '[' and ']' keys now prevent me from using '{' and '}' for Model quality: If I apply '{' ( Shift-[ ) the camera shifts to the left instead of a change of Model quality.

It is not a big deal, as the engine would fall back on worse quality if it needed to, so I actually don't use those keys, but I wondered why this doesn't work, as you can chose the shift values of the digits (like '#' is Shift-3) as a command key, as far as I know.

I do see the hotkeys.txt file but entries within it relate only to the commands encountered on the in-game UI (FAST, SLOW, TARGET, TARGET ARC etc) and camera movement. No toggle trees option.

You know what I totally lead you down the garden path. Sorry. The alt key commands are not re-mappable at all.

Some help I was eh?

• 2 months later...

Still can't get the bloody trees to turn off. Wasn't that much of a problem with CMBN but Red Thunder is a different story. I've tried hooking up a different keyboard to my PC but same deal. Something on Windows 7 must be reserving the ALT-T for something else. At the moment when I pressed ALT-T in game it takes me to the desktop.

So, if you run CMBN <alt>T works as expected. Then if you shut down CMBN and fire up CMRT right afterwards <alt>T no longer works? Is that correct?

I'm guessing the fact that his system is bogarting the <ALT-T> combo is more of an issue in RT, rather than it not doing it in BN.

Since it takes you to the desktop, I wonder if you've got a remap to <ALT-Tab> somewhere in your keyboard setup, or some other software that's sitting there. Do you have screen capture software running? Try killing everything you don't need in your system tray and see if it still happens. And have a look to see if there are any processes you don't want running in the Task Manager; maybe there's some motherboard (or other component) utility that got installed which is getting in the way. Does <ALT-T> in other programs also take you to the desktop (or is it behaving like <ALT-Tab>)?

A number of people had a problem with both Alt-T (trees) and Alt-S (sounds) commands not working upon CMBN's release including myself.

Eventually, someone found the culprit: the "WNA3100 Application" in the Windows 7 start menu. By disabling that application, I was able to get Alt-T and Alt-S to work and haven't had a problem since with either CMBN, CMFI, or CMRT. (BF's tech support didn't understand how a USB wireless adapter driver/software could interfere with CMBN, but it was certainly my culprit.)

Unfortunately, this solution will only work if you're using a Netgear wireless adapter which is associated with that WNA3100 Application."

I'm guessing the fact that his system is bogarting the <ALT-T> combo is more of an issue in RT, rather than it not doing it in BN.

On the face of it I agree that it sounds like something is capturing the <alt>T but that only makes sencse if the problem is in CMBN as well as CMRT. I do not see how a system level process that is capturing <alt>T would do it to one app but not another.

A number of people had a problem with both Alt-T (trees) and Alt-S (sounds) commands not working upon CMBN's release including myself.

Sounds promising - I actually have a problem with <shift>ESC (which pauses / unpauses the game without the Paused notice appearing on screen. But it dose nothing on my new machine. I am still trying to figure out what might be causing it. I also have a wrinkle that I am now using a KVM switch which could be a factor as well. Still <shift>ESC not working is not a big deal but <alt>T no working would be a hassle.

The on disk file structure of an app has little to do with how it executes. The interaction with some behind the scenes process that might be steeling key strokes would not be a direct result of the way files were placed on disk and only be based on program execution. Please enlighten me as to what I am missing.