That great little info box

LC-

Looks like making more info available to the player will eventually occur which to me is a good thing.

I wouldn't mind having information that lets me make some informed decisions while playing. I don't have committed to memory things like the max effective range of all machine guns/rifles/smg's etc or whether I should be firing at a certain tank at a certain range with the tank I have to make effective penetration. I don't have all the armor thickness for all the German halftracks memorized either. I just want the information a track commander or squad leader would have to make decisions appropriately. While playing I generally find the need to at least once of twice a game either go find a reference book or simply alt tab out of game to google the information. When I do that in any game it tells me that they didn't do a good job in having that info readily available to the player. Not having the info readily available can lead to players just making guesses which then turn out to be bad and this leads to frustration and frustration leads to people quitting stuff and telling other people that this game sucks. I don't do that by the way...I tell friends they are only allowed to play CM if they have big brass ones but for some reason the wife never seems to like this. :confused:

Basically make the info that shows armor thickness for vehicles, gun capabilities at ranges and certain armor thickness (I don't even need to know for angles as imo that's to much) and small arms ranges. Have this info readily available and I might stop making stupid mistakes...but don't count on it. :rolleyes: I mean I am not so stupid as to think some AT rifle is going to stop a Tiger at 1000m but there are situations where I am wondering if all I am doing with other weapon systems is wasting my time aka begging for the destruction of my units.

There's a law of diminishing returns when it comes to displayed text information. After a certain point it stops being helpful and starts being overwhelming. Sure, each individual item displayed might me of some marginal utility but the cumulative effect is a wall of numbers & letters. A soldier in the field might have range tables stenciled onto the inner gun shield of his AT gun or instructions for use pasted to the side of his Faust but he wouldn't be marching into battle with detailed penetration tables at hand or exact knowledge of the enemy's capability. The uncertainty is part of FOW.

Meh, I just go with - Big / Medium / Small.

Big Tank : Tiger/IS2

Med Tank : Sherman, Panther, T34

Small tank : Stuart, PzII

Big Gun : 88 and up

Med Gun : 75

Small gun : 50 and down

Shooting more than 1 size above your gun is foolish and unlikely to work.

Shooting 1 size up is about a 50/50 chance.

Granted there are variations eg. Panther 75mm gun is much better than PzIV 75mm gun, and the situation also matters eg. side-on etc. but we're generally aware of them and the above is enough for me to make a decision on the fly :D

It's also surprising how quickly you build up a pretty comprehensive database in your head.

There's a law of diminishing returns when it comes to displayed text information. After a certain point it stops being helpful and starts being overwhelming. Sure, each individual item displayed might me of some marginal utility but the cumulative effect is a wall of numbers & letters. A soldier in the field might have range tables stenciled onto the inner gun shield of his AT gun or instructions for use pasted to the side of his Faust but he wouldn't be marching into battle with detailed penetration tables at hand or exact knowledge of the enemy's capability. The uncertainty is part of FOW.

I understand where you are coming from here but that doesn't hold true so much for an inexperienced soldier. Soldiers in the field for any length of time learn quickly what is and isn't doable. How close do I need to crawl to realistically take out that T34 with a shrek from the side for example? Might not be a big deal until you realize you need to look for concealment to do it and if you don't know whereabouts to be to get that done it kind of frustrating. It's at that point I fire up google most of the time since I don't have that info memorized. Be easier if I could just click on the info panel to find the shreks info. The guy holding it back then probably knew and if no concealment was available then the attempt probably didn't happen. Me...I'd have crawled 100m across broken glass to get to that perfect spot to find out I was about 20m short to getting it done. :rolleyes:

I understand where you are coming from here but that doesn't hold true so much for an inexperienced soldier. Soldiers in the field for any length of time learn quickly what is and isn't doable. How close do I need to crawl to realistically take out that T34 with a shrek from the side for example? Might not be a big deal until you realize you need to look for concealment to do it and if you don't know whereabouts to be to get that done it kind of frustrating. It's at that point I fire up google most of the time since I don't have that info memorized. Be easier if I could just click on the info panel to find the shreks info. The guy holding it back then probably knew and if no concealment was available then the attempt probably didn't happen. Me...I'd have crawled 100m across broken glass to get to that perfect spot to find out I was about 20m short to getting it done. :rolleyes:

Marco Bergman's UI mod goes a looooong way to providing this sort of information though - weapon effective ranges, what ammo they take ( very useful for knowing what to Acquire ) and rough colour coded ( or numbers ) tank armour values/ weapon penetration data a la CMx1. Plus a bunch of other little helpful stuff - I'd crawl that 100m over broken glass just for his compass mod !

He provides a very informative Readme and has the various elements of his mod separated so you only need to install what you like / will find useful.

Worth checking out ! :)

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=111940

We have always planned, and will sometime (soon?) actually make, a new sort of "box". We're calling it a Unitpedia. It will have some sorts of information that the old CMx1 box had, but will be more informative about what the unit itself is and what it's tactical strengths and weaknesses are. The idea is to offer the average player more useful information than CMx1 did by making the presentation more straight forward and less like a cut/paste out of a spreadsheet.

Why haven't we got to it yet? This is a feature that we really want to do right the first time. We've had too many other things on our plate over the past years, however as you know the list of big things is getting smaller and less urgent. The time for this one is definitely drawing near.

Steve

We have always planned, and will sometime (soon?) actually make, a new sort of "box". We're calling it a Unitpedia. It will have some sorts of information that the old CMx1 box had, but will be more informative about what the unit itself is and what it's tactical strengths and weaknesses are. The idea is to offer the average player more useful information than CMx1 did by making the presentation more straight forward and less like a cut/paste out of a spreadsheet.

Why haven't we got to it yet? This is a feature that we really want to do right the first time. We've had too many other things on our plate over the past years, however as you know the list of big things is getting smaller and less urgent. The time for this one is definitely drawing near.

Steve

Awesome :)

Will this new "box" also be accessible while purchasing units?

I would welcome this feature very much too. I also feel it would lower the initial hard "learning curve" of the game for newcomers.

For me personally, and the way I play and enjoy the game, the "infobox" is more wanted for the buying menu than for ingame....I understand fully if others feel different, and I would love to have both!

Absolutely!

I would welcome this feature very much too. I also feel it would lower the initial hard "learning curve" of the game for newcomers.

Provided the information is presented in a useful way, I agree. Having a box full of numbers isn't very useful for most people most of the time. What we will do is figure out the sorts of questions people have and then answer them as efficiently as possible.

For me personally, and the way I play and enjoy the game, the "infobox" is more wanted for the buying menu than for ingame....I understand fully if others feel different, and I would love to have both!

My thoughts as well. When you are in the game you get a lot of information from the units themselves. Such as headcount, weapons, relative size, etc. When you're in the Purchase Screen you have nothing.

Steve

I think my kid will have more use out of it than any of us. At the moment, his favorite "tactic" is sending our Bat HQ to go "blow up that bad guy". At 7 years old he doesn't yet get that the "bad guy" is actually a heavy armored Tiger located on a hit with open fields around it.

Granted at 7 he wont read the info when its there, but when he is old enough to get it he will get use out of it. I also will too just not in the same example. I hope lol

The information window also have the unit in CMBN and CMFI, or only CMRT?

I re-read Steve's post and I do not think he committed to including this feature in CMRT.

Having said that, BFC does have a program where by improvements in the engine are added to the older games after new features are released. For example when CMFI came out there were engine changes that were ported back to CMBN and are available as the 2.0 upgrade for CMBN. They have already said they will be doing that in the future. Which means when that feature does arrive it will most likely make its way back into the older games too.