Who were the good guys? (O/T )

Childress

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I provided a lot of evidence. And yeah, this proved to be a sore topic on US dominated forum - but I did not expect such denial and attempts to make light of it.

There is nothing you raised which has not been looked at, analysed and considered many times before. If you actually had an original thought on the issue, we could have an intelligent discussion. As it is, all I see is the same kneejerk anti-americanism and superficial understanding of the issues which I have seen way too many times. It's quite boring actually.

There is nothing you raised which has not been looked at, analysed and considered many times before.

And -based on your reaction -I thought it was a genuine surprise.

You mean justification and denial process has been already completed?

As it is, all I see is the same kneejerk anti-americanism and superficial understanding of the issues which I have seen way too many times. It's quite boring actually.

And who says it? Your only contribution to the topic was a truly pathetic attempt at justifying war crimes by comparing them to those commited by Russians.

I clearly stated that any form of killing civilians in unacceptable, and anyone who does it -especially the aggressor invading independent country - deserves a condemnation. Either my English sucks so much or you are unable to read with basic understanding.

The reality is, whether we like it or not, that there is nothing and no one to replace the 'Pax Americana', as cynical as that term may sound to some, especially in the Middle East. I fear for the time countries like Russia, China or India are going to take over. Yes, big USA brother is watching us Europeans and probably costing us a lot of money and influence, but what does Europe has to offer nowadays? Nothing. Better to stand in the shadow of a friend, than stand alone.

And wars can not be fought without attrocities and innocent victims, because it appeals to the worst in men. Sad facts of life. Irak and Afghanistan are extremely difficult areas to wage war in, especially because the population is also very divided among themselves. No justification, just facts. A lack of decent local leaders and surrounding countries with their own agenda makes it even harder. On top of all that there is religion and culture.

BFC I suggest this thread is well off topic, and needs a warning prior to lock... I do not want to be on a forum discussing Iraq under the guise of a WW2 eastern front game.

For the record, the original post was naive and unlikely to produce a useful historical or game discussion, with its implied view that there was a side that was the 'good guys' in Russia 1941 - 45. I think we can all accept that the only good guys on the eastern front were the innocent on both sides, who suffered accordingly.

At very least this thread should be on a general forum somewhere.

BFC I suggest this thread is well off topic, and needs a warning prior to lock... I do not want to be on a forum discussing Iraq under the guise of a WW2 eastern front game. At very least this thread should be on a general forum somewhere.

Totally agree

And who says it? Your only contribution to the topic was a truly pathetic attempt at justifying war crimes by comparing them to those commited by Russians.

Unintentionally killing civillians in a war does not necessarily equal commiting warcrimes.

I clearly stated that any form of killing civilians in unacceptable, and anyone who does it -especially the aggressor invading independent country - deserves a condemnation. Either my English sucks so much or you are unable to read with basic understanding.

Ashez, the grim reality of modern warfare is that it simply not possible to have a war without civillian casualties.

BFC I suggest this thread is well off topic, and needs a warning prior to lock... I do not want to be on a forum discussing Iraq under the guise of a WW2 eastern front game.

For the record, the original post was naive and unlikely to produce a useful historical or game discussion, with its implied view that there was a side that was the 'good guys' in Russia 1941 - 45. I think we can all accept that the only good guys on the eastern front were the innocent on both sides, who suffered accordingly.

At very least this thread should be on a general forum somewhere.

IMO the thread shouldnt be closed. The title clearly states that is not directly related to CMRT, everbodys behaviour is within acceptable borders and we did have some interesting discussions.

'General Discussion Forum

Off-topic posts go here! (NO POLITICS, NO COMMERCIAL LINKS, NO SPAM)'

From the BFC top level forums... As I said, this thread should go here. If the OT topic doesn't go here due to politics, it doesn't belong anywhere.

Personally I think it is in severe danger of crossing a line... hence '...and needs a warning prior to lock...'

The reality is, whether we like it or not, that there is nothing and no one to replace the 'Pax Americana', as cynical as that term may sound to some, especially in the Middle East. I fear for the time countries like Russia, China or India are going to take over. Yes, big USA brother is watching us Europeans and probably costing us a lot of money and influence, but what does Europe has to offer nowadays? Nothing. Better to stand in the shadow of a friend, than stand alone.

And wars can not be fought without attrocities and innocent victims, because it appeals to the worst in men. Sad facts of life. Irak and Afghanistan are extremely difficult areas to wage war in, especially because the population is also very divided among themselves. No justification, just facts. A lack of decent local leaders and surrounding countries with their own agenda makes it even harder. On top of all that there is religion and culture.

Religion...nailed it. Since we are all aboard the locked thread train may as well discuss this too :o Imo the one reason we can't 'fix' the Middle East is because the only people that are able to do this are busy having their version of the Reformation going on. Until they finish trying to wedge in something like a democracy isn't going to work out very well for them on a cultural and societal level. They aren't going to decide this at the polling station I think. The best thing they can hope for is something like a theocratic republic...and we all know what Iran is like :rolleyes:

I blame Sgt Joch - chief propaganda officer:-) I am sure he could even make Putin's recent actions on Ukraine look like a friendly visit!

You give me way too much credit, even I can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. ;)

Am i really the only person who enjoyed the discussion in this thread? IMO a discussion is less about beeing right than understanding other peoples points of view. Addtionally it is, at least for me, always also something that makes think about topics, to question others views but also my own.

Am i really the only person who enjoyed the discussion in this thread? IMO a discussion is less about beeing right than understanding other peoples points of view. Addtionally it is, at least for me, always also something that makes think about topics, to question others views but also my own.

I think I'd have enjoyed it more over a beer than on a forum like this. To easy to be mis-interpreted in what you say and more prone to react too quickly. Also harder to express a more complicated idea.

Having a beer while responding on the forum doesn't quite work either. :P

I blame the Finns for beating them.

And to think it only cost the Russians $52 Billion.

They could have at least made a "charitable donation" to the Finnish Hockey Association to insure the final score was more favourable to Russian "interests".

Agusto - yes, you are the only person on earth capable of "enjoying" such a thread, and it reflects deep naivety, childishness, lack of seriousness, moral blindness, no sense of proportion, etc. You think the greatest crimes in human history and the fate of millions in events coming quickly are perfect fodder for a dorm room bull session. But don't you worry, because those of us who understand are by now so sick of you and those like you that we would not lift a finger to put you out if you were on fire, so you can snore on happily.

Agusto - yes, you are the only person on earth capable of "enjoying" such a thread, and it reflects deep naivety, childishness, lack of seriousness, moral blindness, no sense of proportion, etc. You think the greatest crimes in human history and the fate of millions in events coming quickly are perfect fodder for a dorm room bull session. But don't you worry, because those of us who understand are by now so sick of you and those like you that we would not lift a finger to put you out if you were on fire, so you can snore on happily.

So basically you would happily watch everybody die in anguish who, in your opinion, does not have you superior intelligence, morals, sense of proportion, seriousness, etc? What does that tell us about you? Nevermind. And by the way, your third sentence kinda ridicules your first, doesnt it?