East Front literature!

Vanir Ausf B,

$1700 for a paperback?! And to think I found Bellamy's terrific The Red God of War ridiculous. I remember years ago on the CMBB Forum we had a Stalingrad grog (Renaud?) who had some great pics of Mamayev Kurgan and mentioned that Death of the Leaping Horse book by Marks. Sounded cool, but even then it was beyond my means. I've bought cars for less, but not recently.

Regards,

John Kettler

Vanir Ausf B,

$1700 for a paperback?! And to think I found Bellamy's terrific The Red God of War ridiculous. I remember years ago on the CMBB Forum we had a Stalingrad grog (Renaud?) who had some great pics of Mamayev Kurgan and mentioned that Death of the Leaping Horse book by Marks. Sounded cool, but even then it was beyond my means. I've bought cars for less, but not recently.

Regards,

John Kettler

Maybe so, but what do cars know of Stalingrad?

Seriously though, I've always wanted to read Marks, but he was also out of my price range. And to make matters worse, my University library doesn't have any of his work.

Hey are superb..and really books no military history nut should be with with out. AGain I wouldn't sell any of mine for $2000 dollars even if it seemed like they wouldn't get reprinted, which looked the case until recently.. Island of Fire paperback has just gone out of print. No doubt that will shoot up. However As I said Death of a Leaping Horseman is getting reprinted this year.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0811714047/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This seems to be a recurring theme with his books.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0646410342/ref=tmm_pap_new_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=new&sr=1-2&qid=1391720434

For $1700 they must be among the greatest books ever written.

Wodin,

Now I really don't get it. A new paperback for $1700! What was the print run? Two? But a reprint hardback looks to be about $40. (Brain melts and runs out of ears, further complicating playing CM). I'm perfectly willing to accept the Jason Marks books are awesome, in the original sense of the word, but what is the basis of such obscene pricing?

Regards,

John Kettler

My favourite military history author is Jason D Mark. I can't recommend his books enough. Read Island of Fire and his Cholm book. Reading his Pioneer book at the moment. Also his first book Death of a leaping Horseman is finally being reprinted for a fantastic price. Second hand these where being sold for hundreds of dollars..the reprint is around £24!!

Island of Fire, Death of a leaping horseman and Into Oblivion are must reads if you have any interest in Stalingrad. His Cholm book is superb aswell.

+1 to this his stuff is awesome.

Thanks for the heads up on the re-print.

+1 I have all of Jason's books as well and they are great. Also have Angriff (His pictorial of the Stalingrad battle and it is excellent, if you wanted only one book about the battle with pictures and captions that read like a book, this would be it. It is still available and well worth the money spent.

If you can get hold of Island of Fire BUY it!! As it's out of stock at Leaping Horseman books. Honestly you'll love it. Also pre order Death of a leaping Horseman.

I would love to get some of Jason's books these look very good. I just got my paycheck today and i'm really tempted to get one of his books plus a few other east front books! Such hard decisions!

It was out of print for years.. hence the price. Small print run like all his books as he is a small publisher. He has just managed to get another publisher to publish it for him.

All his books are well worth the actual retail price. I usually ask for one of his books as an Xmas present.

Wodin,

Now I really don't get it. A new paperback for $1700! What was the print run? Two? But a reprint hardback looks to be about $40. (Brain melts and runs out of ears, further complicating playing CM). I'm perfectly willing to accept the Jason Marks books are awesome, in the original sense of the word, but what is the basis of such obscene pricing?

Regards,

John Kettler

Very good read. I preferred it over It never snows in September which I found a let down after his Garlands book.

"War Without Garlands" Very, very harrowing. It's about Barbarossa, but will set the stage, in terms of intensity, for the Bagration era.

I also recommend "In Deadly Combat" as mentioned earlier.

These are prices from resellers, not the publisher. And just because those prices are posted on Amazon doesn't mean that anyone is paying them. Several years ago I saw a book on Amazon selling for $300--schwing, I had a spare copy of the book and promptly put it on Amazon for $280. And guess what--no takers, ever.

iMolestCats,

I started rereading Stalingrad to Pillau, as a result of which I rediscovered two things: One, he was with the 76.2mm regimental guns, which primarily operated in Direct Fire mode. In fact, the title of his original Russian book (English version expanded 25% with a lot of Russian terminology explained) was Direct Fire Against the Enemy; two, regret to say that in terms of book design, the design seriously interferes with the content. Advise you have excellent lighting when you essay this one. You'll need it!

On a brighter note, my memory was working reasonably well when I first listed the book. That author, who happened to be Jewish, goes to considerable lengths to detail not merely his vast combat service, but to paint a vivid picture of what life was like, for him and his extended family, as Jews, in Kiev before the war and in the terrible year of 1946 after the war.

Wodin,

Appreciate your explanation. I recall gasping in shock and dismay when a college textbook I had to buy set me back $65 in 1974, but the $1700 now was so far past that, even with a huge inflation adjustment, as to be almost not worth making the comparison.

76mm,

Sounds like my experience on eBay trying to sell for a friend a signed limited aviation print showing the hair-raising fight over North Vietnam between the U.S. Navy's Cunningham and Driscoll in their F-4J vs North Vietnam's Colonel Tomb (name disputed) in his MiG-17. Tomb lost. The print was not only signed by the artist but by the victors, who became aces. Hours to list, money paid out and not one query.

Regards,

John Kettler

"War Without Garlands" Very, very harrowing. It's about Barbarossa...

I liked it. Again, not the last or most comprehensive word on the subject, but very readable I thought, and since I am not especially an East Front grog, it opened my eyes to a lot of things. So, an excellent entry level book on the subject.

Michael

Very good read. I preferred it over It never snows in September which I found a let down after his Garlands book.

Yeah, me too. It Never Snows... has much more fine detail from the participants' POV, which is probably why it is the more popular book in this crowd, but I really think that WWG is vastly better written with more sweep and verve. A reader might not share my opinion, but should at least give it a look.

Michael

Any of David Glantz' books. Glantz has explored the Soviet archives covering many battles for example Red Storm over the Balkans. This book deals wityh the first Soviet invasion of Roumania in the spring of 1944 and was perhaps the key to the destruction of Army Group Centtre in June 1944. The German high command thought the Soviet summer offensive in 1944 would be in the south against the Roumanian oilfields and concentrated the Panzer Divisions there instead of in Army Group Centre. The fact that the Soviets had attacked into Roumania was likely seen as evidence of Sovet plans for the summer campaign.

And so, with the bulk of the Panzer Divisions in the wrong place the scene was set for the disaster we know as the Destruction of Army Group Centre. Which ripped a gap hundreds of miles wide requiring the commitment of those Panzer Divisions to attempt to close the gap in turn setting the scene for the Lvov-Sandomierz operation, the defection of Roumania and the permanent destabilization of the entire Russian Front,

If you can get hold of Island of Fire BUY it!! As it's out of stock at Leaping Horseman books. Honestly you'll love it. Also pre order Death of a leaping Horseman.

Couldn't get a decent price on Island of Fire so i ordered "Besieged: The Epic Battle for Cholm" and Pre-ordered "Death of a Leaping Horseman".

I seriously cannot wait for "Besieged" to get here looks like a fantastic book, also went ahead and got the signed edition.

Couldn't get a decent price on Island of Fire so i ordered "Besieged: The Epic Battle for Cholm" and Pre-ordered "Death of a Leaping Horseman".

I seriously cannot wait for "Besieged" to get here looks like a fantastic book, also went ahead and got the signed edition.

Reading Besieged now. Into Oblivion is amazing aswell. Follows a unit that was covered in Island of Fire. Keep your fingers crossed IoF gets a reprint. Probably my fav read so far, though I hear Leaping Horseman is just as good.