New Spam thread

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, you are pretty much straight south of my old place: 30°41'34.18"N, 98°16'11.67"W   Even though I have moved a little closer, I would still be a few days late for breakfast.

I believe cowboy coffee is coffee grounds tossed straight into a cup of hot water. Let sit for a few minutes to allow the grounds to settle and then enjoy. If the water was not boiled over a fire it is not cowboy coffee.

damn the look on those guys faces says it all. Yuuum cold spam.

Lol.. I recall having that very same look getting my very first MRE thrown off the back of a truck at 4am for breakfast. The dreaded "dehydrated pork patty". Served nice and cold in a brown plastic bag. Followed by greasy, slimy imitation cheese product, or oily glue ( I mean peanut butter) on extra dry, tasteless crackers, and the ever so precious little square of toilet paper to add to the collection for when you literally s@#t a brick a few days later.

I was in when the Army transitioned to MRE from C-RAT which were better tasting IMO, and came with one of those nifty P-38 openers (anyone else save one of those?). I hear the MREs have gotten much better, but those early ones were pretty nasty albeit easier to carry around.

Edited by Vinnart

You guys are soooo elitist (well, except BLSTK). I love Spam for breakfast when I am camping.  Cowboy coffee, Spam, eggs and biscuits.  Mmmmm...... 

It's the ambience, believe me. I have eaten—and more importantly enjoyed—things while camping that I would never eat in any other environment.

Michael

I have a neighbor with digestive problems. For some reason, Spam is one of the things she can tolerate. Go figure. She makes soup with it.

A few years back after noticing that our local groceries were carrying several varieties of it, I bought a can after not having eaten it for over 50 years. It was truly awful. I ended up throwing most of it away. At the other end of the spectrum, I like corned beef hash just fine. So what happens? About a year ago our local stores stopped carrying it. One more proof that the world is sliding into a new Dark Age.

Michael

ALRIGHT! Walmart had like 10 different flavors. I got the Jalapeno and the Turkey.

Sunday morning breakfast at kohlenklau's house!!! Come on by if you are near Burnet, TX.

My house: 30°41'34.18"N, 98°16'11.67"W

Next time I will try "Hot and Spicy" and maybe "Chorizo"....!

Interesting...according to my calculations, it would take me 120 days to get there on foot. But only winter, i would have to walk all accross Russia and then hope the Bering Strait is sufficiently frozen to get accross.

• 3 weeks later...

I ate SPAM three ways as a child: 1) fried, typically served with eggs and toast 2) baked with brown sugar on top, which caramelized, yum, plus spuds and veggie or salad; and, occasionally, 3) SPAM salad, typically eaten in sandwiches. None of which has squat to do with the topic. What is relevant to WW II is what follows.

SPAM as the basis for Hawaiian cuisine. Spam was one of the key aspects of the development of the cargo cult among the Melanesian people in the South Pacific. Hows this for topicality? SPAM in World War II. Anyone inclined to diss Lend Lease would do well to ponder what bellicose "We will bury you" Russian Premier Nikita Khrushchev said of SPAM's critical importance to Russia during the GPW.

"Without Spam," he reasoned "we wouldn't have been able to feed our army."  He was, pardon the expression, far enough up the food chain during the GPW to know something like that, since he was on a bunch of military councils, was at Kharkov, Stalingrad, Kursk, etc. K. was one of Stalin's leash holders for the field commanders, apparently. "Stalin sends his greetings, tovarisch Front Komandir.

Historian Walter S. Dunn reinforces the above in his The Soviet Economy and the Red Army, 1930-1945 (a book I clearly need to read), p. 86, where we learn SPAM was a key part of the frontovik's daily ration in 1944. A can per day per man. The US provided 20% of the meat consumed in Russia during the GPW, much of which was SPAM. Also, not only did US Lend Lease supply SPAM in vast quantities to Russia, but US meat packing companies also duplicated a kind of traditional Russian qua SPAM called Tushonka, which you can learn about here. It's on a blog devoted specifically (how groggy is this?) to the 20th Century (I'd expand it) history of field rations. There's even a recipe so you can make your own Tushonka!

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler