To Devs - street fighting

One thing to beware of when blowing holes between buildings is elevation changes. I've had teams blow the hole, then run out the door, along the outside and back into the room they Blasted into before now, because (or at least it was the only thing I could conceive of which might have made them) there was a step up into the adjacent building. This was a ground floor, and it was under a relatively early patch of FI.

One thing to beware of when blowing holes between buildings is elevation changes. I've had teams blow the hole, then run out the door, along the outside and back into the room they Blasted into before now, because (or at least it was the only thing I could conceive of which might have made them) there was a step up into the adjacent building. This was a ground floor, and it was under a relatively early patch of FI.

Naw, You are likely correct. I bet if there is any elevational difference between the bldgs, the unit will not move directly through the hole on upper levels at least. The would be a easy one to verify with a test.

Never thought about it, just been lucky and never tried it on a building that did not work either.

Womble is correct that the game has to deal with things in a more finite way than one finds in real life. It is entirely possible that a building cut into the side of a hill won't perform the way one expects because what looks "close enough" to being on the same elevation might not be from CM's standpoint. Either the adjacent ground is at the same height as the building floor, thus allowing passage between the two, or it isn't and therefore doesn't allow passage.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Guys guys, guys. It all went off topic!

Exiting through windows is not the point of my suggestion! CHOOSING the doorway to exit IS.

It's really rare to exit thourgh windows and is't sure not faster nor safer. To do it you need to take some time on breaking the window and clearing it from glass that might cut you up. In old times windows were composed with several smaller windows spilt with wooden bars. Also those (main) windows were often double. To break such construction would require some time. It's not hollywood!

LET'S GET BACK TO DOORS - it would be really good to make a better (more) use of combining the FACE command for better and more logical smoothness of the game.

Ofcourse we might get used to things the devs have failed to DO WELL and work out ways to live with that... but if the next patch will stop our soldiers from shooting at enemy will you also try to get used to that??

I've been in love with the first CM series. I was reviewing Shock Force for EMEA market 7 days before it's release. Even though I found TONS of bugs I really believed this will be a great game. After 8th patch (or something like that) the game was still a ruin although less buggy. I stopped to play CM for years. Now I got back to it with Normandy at 2.12 and now after 12 years I still see terryfing bugs. We can try to get used to that but WHY THE HELL devs didn't fix more important bugs before getting into non important s**t like textures for hits on tanks in Red Thinder and 3.0. WHY NOT TO FIX EXISTING BUGS or make things more natural in the game behaviour?

After some 3 months of playing CMBN with pain of ridiculous things happening I found that devs probably don't use alpha testers no more. Yes I am irritated.

Now, let's get back to picking the exit door topic :)

I stopped to play CM for years. Now I got back to it with Normandy at 2.12 and now after 12 years I still see terryfing bugs. We can try to get used to that but WHY THE HELL devs didn't fix more important bugs before getting into non important s**t like textures for hits on tanks in Red Thinder and 3.0. WHY NOT TO FIX EXISTING BUGS or make things more natural in the game behaviour?

Speaking as someone who works in software, I would say that it is rarely a choice between, say, new textures or fixing bugs.

Unless you have a dev team of one.

You already can.. just put the waypoint next to the door you want to exit from and then go from there.

Indeed that is the workaround. Trouble is your guys will all gather up at that way point and wait for everyone and the move on to the next one. If you are trying to get out of Doge quickly because the enemy are raining bullets at you pausing just out side the door to wait for your buddy is not a good place to be.

Guys guys, guys. It all went off topic!

It is what we do - something you have to get used to :D

LET'S GET BACK TO DOORS - it would be really good to make a better (more) use of combining the FACE command for better and more logical smoothness of the game.

Not a bad suggestion actually I like it.

Now I got back to it with Normandy at 2.12 and now after 12 years I still see terryfing bugs. We can try to get used to that but WHY THE HELL devs didn't fix more important bugs before getting into non important s**t like textures for hits on tanks in Red Thinder and 3.0. WHY NOT TO FIX EXISTING BUGS or make things more natural in the game behaviour?

After some 3 months of playing CMBN with pain of ridiculous things happening I found that devs probably don't use alpha testers no more. Yes I am irritated.

Wow, your first post in this thread was articulate and expressed a specific problem - just like the kind of thing that might actually get attention by BFC. But this last bit will likely get you the wrong kind of attention. I recommend that you put together separate threads for each issue you run into with as well done explanations as your first post here. I am sorry to say that this kind of over the top, no specifics, no evidence is just going to get everyone worked up and take your thread off topic even more. :)

..no specifics, no evidence is just going to get everyone worked up and take your thread off topic even more. :)

Please be sure I'm not going to critisise without any solution tips. I just didn't had time yesterday to describe other problems or improvement solutions.

I was even thinking of making a videos showing things I'm going to mention but yes - I'll leave this for other topic.

Here and now it would be nice to hear from devs are we going to get a descent way of leaving buildings in a planned/controlable and less risky way?

Again : putting a waypoint just right out the door you want to leave through makes your soldiers sitting ducks. Just like on the screenshot from the first post on this topic (the tank threat).

It appears the wall connects to the building in the same action spot as the door. That may be blocking it, even though visually it does not look like it should.

I would bet you are correct. Walls always sit halfway in an AS and do inhibit movement. Anything that close to a wall is more than likely blocked. Hard lesson to learn, but physical locations of doors and proximity to a wall should send off red flags if the alternative for your team is gonna send them in harms way.

Urban movement is tricky and if at all in doubt, assume the route is bad.