OT-Need a little video card advice.

Apparently the stock video card that comes with my new HP Pavilion won't run CM and I am told I will need to install a card. Problem is that this thing only has a 300 watt PSU. Can someone recommend a decent video card that will work with 300 watt supply and not overheat my machine? I am not into high end gaming such as Call of Duty. More strategic games such as CM so really do not expect to need a very powerful card. Just decent to run a few movies and play CM

Thanks,

Yeah, this one might do nicely. Not a bull, but I am pretty much done with high end video games so it won't matter. My last machine was a custom build. I should have researched this one a bit more, but otherwise it is a good desktop. It sort of pisses me that I can't play CM on my HP laptop either. That does not make much sense.

Have you tried updating the video card drivers on your desktop? Intel support for OpenGL appears very much to be a work in progress*, so using the latest may help.

Unfortunately for laptops the laptop manufacturers tend to have a bit of a stranglehold on video card drivers, which slows things down considerably. With a desktop you may have better luck.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/42697

Note the responses from Intel tech support - they point to driver download locations.

* More pointedly, it's awful, pathetic, and otherwise poor, and they're slowly fixing the enormous pyramid of bugs they've got in their implementation.

FWIW...HP desktops I'd avoid for gaming. The touchscreens are good for general use-but not gaming.

A few years ago the M series laptops looked interesting for gaming-you just needed to be sure to get a quad core and a model with a dedicated video card and 1-2 gigs of video memory.

I don't know what's currently available. Wait till after X-Mas when they discount things or you can research to see what you'd like and see if you can get a returned unit and bargain like hell to steal it.

For me when it comes to desktops, liquid cooled is the way to to. They are quiet and reliable.

300 watts is far too wimpy. My liquid cooled PC is ancient and it has a 800 watt power supply. Its a quad core, 8 gigs of ram with a 2 gig 5800 series Radeon and it runs CM nicely maxed out at 1650x1080.

The integrated CPU/Video is another thing I'd avoid if you want to do gaming. Get a decent dedicated video card.

The one thing you have going for you is technology gets cheaper as time goes by. For less than a grand you can get something that a few years back would have cost you 2 grand.

300 watts is far too wimpy. My liquid cooled PC is ancient and it has a 800 watt power supply. Its a quad core, 8 gigs of ram with a 2 gig 5800 series Radeon and it runs CM nicely maxed out at 1650x1080.

We would all like to have a spiffy new faster machine. When I stared playing CM my old machine was pretty taxed but there was no $ for a new one. And there still isn't. I did manage to get a couple of hundred budget for a better graphics card and bought a Radeon HD 6770 which is happy in my 300W power supply HP. Upgrading my graphics card made a huge difference.

Still working on betting the budget office to approve a new machine. I was close once but failed at the last minute. :)