Downsampling

Typically I downsample all my games from 2880x1620 to 1080p, re-scaled on the GPU http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509076

I couldn't get this to work in CM, by modifying the "display size.txt" . This is on a 4GB GTX680 using the September 327 series drivers.

An upgrade to the 331 series of Nvidia drivers has fixed this.

If you have got the GPU grunt, the effect in game is very nice.

For those to whom this seems gibberish, what I am doing is this:

My desktop is 1920 x 1080. This is the maximum my monitor supports.

The GPU is rendering the scene at 2880x1620, set in the display size.txt by using the values 2880 1620 60

The GPU then downscales this to 1920x1080, which results in crisper textures and improved anti aliasing.

Given the game tends to be CPU limited when it comes to FPS, the impact on frame rate is negligible.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be interested to know how you have been able to upgrade the NVidia driver.

The last several versions have all failed to install, no matter what installation route that I try and I am now fed up of having to use the 'restore' route to get my old driver back. It used to be simple.

Typically I downsample all my games from 2880x1620 to 1080p, re-scaled on the GPU http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509076

I couldn't get this to work in CM, by modifying the "display size.txt" . This is on a 4GB GTX680 using the September 327 series drivers.

If you have got the GPU grunt, the effect in game is very nice.

For those to whom this seems gibberish, what I am doing is this:

My desktop is 1920 x 1080. This is the maximum my monitor supports.

The GPU is rendering the scene at 2880x1620, set in the display size.txt by using the values 2880 1620 60

The GPU then downscales this to 1920x1080, which results in crisper textures and improved anti aliasing.

Given the game tends to be CPU limited when it comes to FPS, the impact on frame rate is negligible.

I would like to see a couple of your CM screens as an example Jock

This is a novel idea and one I must have a play with. However, my question:

Surely this demands more of your GPU memory which will, in turn, then reduce the availability of working RAM for the game. If so then that's where an issue arises. At 32 bits this game is already limiting its greater potential by its own memory ceiling. I envisage this situation only getting worse as new modules and the modding community push the memory boundaries further as time goes on.

What kind of makes me NOT try this is tha Nvidia EXPLICITELY states that this method can damage your display.

Admitted, making hardware do smething it's not supposed to do (I gues this can be called "overclocking" in some way), there's always a risk but with other parts like CPUs and graphics cards I can install better cooling and monitor temperatures and other data, but in this case... I got no idea how my display will react, so I'll rather wait until I have a backup one.

Still, some screens would be nice.

Following images taken from a PBEM I'm playing using the 'Schmiedestahl' scenario which takes place on a very large map and with lot's of units. Performance so far seems unaffected but I have noticed that the 3D models are a lot 'crisper'.

In game settings are at 'best'; display resolution is 2560 x 1440

cklb.jpg

Thanks for the screenshots George they are a good illustration.

It's important to note that you are not setting your monitor's desktop resolution - that stays the same. Therefore your monitor is not operating outside of its range, nor will it be damaged.

The GPU has more to do, and VRAM usage will increase. As I mentioned in my OP, I have 4GB of VRAM. I probably wouldn't try this with less than 2GB of VRAM.

I would be interested to know how you have been able to upgrade the NVidia driver.

The last several versions have all failed to install, no matter what installation route that I try and I am now fed up of having to use the 'restore' route to get my old driver back. It used to be simple.

Jim, one of the options when you do the install is to do a Clean Install- have you tried that? I think the option becomes available if you choose Custom/Advanced

Also, when you install, have you got anything running - Precision X, for example - that is actively using the card's drivers?

Alternatively there is a tool called Driver Sweeper which can be used to get rid of drivers and allow you to do a clean install. I had to do this when I upgraded from a GTX580 to a GTX680. Similar to the old days when you had to do the driver upgrades in Safe Mode.

This is a novel idea and one I must have a play with. However, my question:

Surely this demands more of your GPU memory which will, in turn, then reduce the availability of working RAM for the game. If so then that's where an issue arises. At 32 bits this game is already limiting its greater potential by its own memory ceiling. I envisage this situation only getting worse as new modules and the modding community push the memory boundaries further as time goes on.

I am running CMBN on Win 7 64 so the app can address 4GB, which should ameliorate the issue.

Jock when i followed your instructions and i had to set the desktop to that resolution because it did not show up ingame in the options.

Am i missing somthing?

Yes what you need to do is manually add the resolution to the file "display size.txt" which is in the root of your CMBN installation.

It will probably read 0 0 0 at the moment.

Change it to your desired resolution and refresh rate eg 2880 1620 60

Keep your desktop at your normal resolution eg 1920 1080

You should find that in your other games the alternative resolutions you set up for GPU scaling are available to select, it's just that the CMBN interface only offers the three standard ones or your desktop so you have to do it in the file.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=111338

Yes what you need to do is manually add the resolution to the file "display size.txt" which is in the root of your CMBN installation.

It will probably read 0 0 0 at the moment.

Change it to your desired resolution and refresh rate eg 2880 1620 60

Keep your desktop at your normal resolution eg 1920 1080

You should find that in your other games the alternative resolutions you set up for GPU scaling are available to select, it's just that the CMBN interface only offers the three standard ones or your desktop so you have to do it in the file.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=111338

Sweet mate :)