Downsampling

Am at work so can't investigate. One quick way to check could be when you take a screen shot what's the dimensions of the resulting picture file? Does it match what you've set display.txt to?

If you're on Win7 click on the file in windows explorer and it'll tell you the dimensions at the bottom with all the file details or you can r-click and do properties and look on the details tab.

-F

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am at work so can't investigate. One quick way to check could be when you take a screen shot what's the dimensions of the resulting picture file? Does it match what you've set display.txt to?

If you're on Win7 click on the file in windows explorer and it'll tell you the dimensions at the bottom with all the file details or you can r-click and do properties and look on the details tab.

-F

I might be missing something here :) I did as you said above and the image dimensions are the same size as my native monitor settings BUT I thought the whole point was in downsampling that you are not actually changing the native res but 'tricking' the GPU to see your game res as a higher value and then scale it down to your native res. Hence it acts as some de-facto AA.

Whatever I've done it's giving me far crisper textures...

@George...really doesn't look like your at that huge res mate going by the jaggies. I have a feeling it's not working properly and your having a placebo effect...really at the res your downsampling too jaggies should be alot less Why don't you turn on anti aliasing and anisotropic filtering? Will help loads with appearance.

Your screenshots definitely don't look like 2880x1620 should..not only the noticeable jaggies but also the ui size.

I've just played about with this - just in case I've made a bit of an arse of it. So this is in CMMG. I changed the custom res to 3200 x 1800 in Nividia; changed the display.txt in CMMG and got this. As you can see the UI is teeny tiny. Also the screeny shows the size of this res which is 3200 x 1800.

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://img30.imageshack.us/img30/5052/jpbt.jpg' alt='jpbt.jpg'>

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ahh, I think I know what's happening, lol. The screenie above is definitely at the larger resolution and is being displayed at the full size here in the forum instead of being down scaled to fit on our screens as happens in game. I have to scroll half way up and half way across the screen to see the above pic... at this full size the menu interface looks 'normal'. If I were compress the screen shot above down to fill just my screen so I didn't have to scroll around to look at it the interface would be reduced too. Maybe that's why the menu looks normal to us in the screens - that make sense?

Not 100% sure about the first couple though, what was the rez you were using? Maybe imageshack was automatically down sizing them? They fit fairly neatly onto my 1920x1200 monitor. The size of the screen shots should match the resolution you've set to play the game at in the display.txt. Anyway, no biggie really - if it looks good to you go for it :) I'm just waiting for the day when I can get a huge monitor and have that sort of size as my native rez :D

-F

If I were compress the screen shot above down to fill just my screen so I didn't have to scroll around to look at it the interface would be reduced too. Maybe that's why the menu looks normal to us in the screens - that make sense?

It makes sense but I think it would mean that the menu height is an absolute value in pixels rather than being proportional to the vertical resolution, i.e. it doesn't scale up with increased resolution. Is that the case?