I knew this was going to happen....

Had a awesome day playing DCS A10, And thought hmmm haven't played CMBN or CMFI for a while, lets give it a whirl.... WRONG!!!!!

I just recently swapped out my X52 for the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and that WAS the only change i had made in moving usb or anything else around in my system for ages and BAM....

Triggered the INFAMOUS DRM on this game. LIKE seriously COME ON... unplugging a USB item for another USB item screws you're license???? RIDICULOUS.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?p=1444748

2nd post

So i cant play Either Cm games and have to wait for someone to help me fix it.

Apparently there IS a tool that can fix this error so you can re-enter you're license and a person can move along. BUT you have to wait for someone to reply to you in the Help desk.. Why not make it available without having to wait for a reply from the Help desk?

At the end of the day, WHAT burns my boat and it is starting to be common practice is that if something goes wrong, that's it you are stuck.

Regards

Yeah, I hate licensing code. The vast majority of the time it annoys legitimate customers and usually provides little barrier for a determined thief. I understand the motivation and it is a reality, especially for games, that piracy is common place. I wish it weren't so. But I still hate licensing.

Just for my own curiosity what are "X52 for the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS"? You referred to USB devices. I have an elaborate back up system that means one of three back up drives is connected to my machine plus we have two or three USB keys that are swapped in and out constantly. So far that has not triggered a problem for me.

The for the comment Ian.. Yeah look i UNDERSTAND the need for codes anti piracy etc.. BUT there MUST be a better system than what is in place atm..

X52 and Warthog are Joysticks.. The Warthog is more complex in that it has built in Firmware, that can be updated etc

And still waiting for a reply to fix the over $100 worth of games I've purchased too.

Hi, I regularly swap in and out USB devices and I have a Thrustmaster Cougar which I occasionally use. I also use win 7 64 bit. I have never had one trigger a license issue. I am sure the help desk will be able to help you sort out the problem.

The for the comment Ian.. Yeah look i UNDERSTAND the need for codes anti piracy etc.. BUT there MUST be a better system than what is in place atm..

You would think there would be a better way but I doubt it. I have worked at companies that used two different systems now and support had issues with them both. Considering the costs involved you would think someone would come along and create a good robust system. My impression, and I am no expert, is that there is tension between a system that allows for computer changes and one that is hart to fake out / beat.

Thanks for filling me in on the joystick names. Interesting I wonder if they get different treatment than US HDs.

You are lucky you still have activations left, it is a longer wait to get new ones added. I think I understand why they don't make the "cleaner" utility widely available; one careless mistake with it and you've nuked an activation which would make the wait for new activations even longer under the current system.

I was one who spoke out against the finite activation type of DRM vs the elicense type. It may or may not be less hassle for battlefront, we don't know, but it removes a large degree of freedom from the end user. This isn't to say I haven't had hardware/software failures that made it necessary to get a new elicense activation from customer support, because I have, but failures are different than planned system upgrades or OS updates/upgrades. This is the only game for which I put up with this type of DRM.

I have found the support people to be top notch regardless of the DRM.

I have the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS sitting around my office as yet unused. Is there a problem hooking it up re CM2? Or was the problem swapping one stick for another?

The problem was swapping the X52 out for the Warthog :)

Erwin. You mentioned you got the same stick.. You planning on playing DCS? If that is the case PM me we can hook up and Maverick some T80's ;)

I play DCS pretty heavily myself. More so than cm. You can find me on the simHQ servers and simHQ teamspeak. The 2 servers affiliated with simHQ are called Eno's Firehouse and Hollo Pointe. They are dedicated servers that run 24/7, but most of the activity is any where from noon to 10pm pst. All skill levels are welcome, it's more about teamwork than being some kinda ace competion.

In fact now that the ground force module is out, I'd like to see some cm guys run the ground forces. Put that grog experience to good use. It's hard to tare myself away from the air to run the ground forces for a mission. Would be nice to have some dedicated ground pounders for that job.

That would be great as I have the DCS game. However, just haven't had time to load it as there's so many CM games to play(!) I also understand that the DCS learning curve is very steep.

All flight sims of quality have a steep learning curve. Mind you, if you can wrap your head around CM, you should be good to go ! :)

I am also a DCS flier, and use a TM Warthog. I have done several swaps and upgrades, reconfiguring my USB devices, with no licensing trouble with CMBN at all.

I find it very odd that any USB device would trigger DRM, they are usually based on memory, CPU, etc. direct motherboard hardware, not items on the USB bus, for obvious reasons. Have you checked your system? For example, I have heard of DRM being triggered by memory changes, when a memory stick went bad. Long shot, but you never know, I'd do a diagnostic and look at other items before looking at USB.

If I did look at the USB, I'd be looking at the buss voltage first, the Warthog does consume power, (more than the X52 AFAIK) and if your USB buss was already at or near max, an additional load can cause problems in other areas, possibly triggering DRM if the USB controller gets overloaded as it's a direct motherboard item. Not knowing all the details of, or being "eyes on" your system, I can't do more than take shots in the dark.

It could also be a registry issue, if you made extensive changes to software recently. I have had a few problems over the years with uninstallers throwing a wrench in the registry.

For all flight simmers, I have found that running my stick through a powered USB hub, along with my other flight gear, has worked great. I have done it this way for years, and had far fewer problems. The Warthog seems to be very happy that way, and it's almost a requirement if you are running a CH stick.

As for the learning curve, it's not so bad if you break it down into sections, and not try to learn everything at once :) A10C is about as full realistic as one could expect a household computer flight sim to be. They did basically modify the software for the actual military flight simulators, after all. I was rather surprised by a couple items that are modeled in the cockpit, even as non-functional. Going up with friendly folks is IMO the best way to learn once you have the basics of flight under your belt. I have a small group of friends to fly with that have been extremely valuable to learning. I would also go up on Eno's if I could, but the ping is too high for me.

I'm not sure if the ticket has been opened up or replied to regarding this issue.

If this is simply a matter of an USB flight control being plugged in, then possibly unplugging it and running the game should typically work. If there was another USB device plugged in at the time of activation, then you may want that plugged in when attempting to run the game.

If something else about the system has changed (beyond the USB flight control) and it is NOT easily or desirably reversed, then running the gsClean utility will probably be necessary.