1944, Fuehrer HQ: The wrong time for a joke

Andrew Hudgins, in a great essay in today's New York Times, tells this historical anecdote:

---

I certainly don’t look to Fritz Darges, an army adjutant to Adolf Hitler, as a model, but I often think of one moment from his life. During one 1944 strategy meeting, a fly started buzzing around. It landed on the map, Hitler’s shoulder, and the map again. The Führer ordered Darges to kill it. Without a moment’s hesitation, Darges replied that the fly was an “airborne pest” and therefore the responsibility of Nicolaus von Below, the nearby Luftwaffe adjutant.

I love the joke, but I love, fear and identify with the impulse that drove Darges to tell it. By 1944, he must have had an inkling that his boss wasn’t blessed with a generous sense of humor. Didn’t matter. Darges had his joke, it was a good one, he had to tell it — and the joke is funnier now because it was dangerous then. Hitler turned to Darges, screamed, “You’re for the Eastern Front!” and dismissed him.

---

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Hitler has never been particularly famous for his sense of humor. I remeber that i once read in Joachim Fests Hitler biography that he (Hitler) found it funny to talk about disguting stuff while eating togather with his subordinates in order to spoil their appetite.

German WWII-anecdotes. Very, very black. :D

Want examples?

Calling the 'Volksturm' the "HJ-late vintage" for its members often high ages or the 'V3' as sort of third 'wonderweapon'. A response to the media-hype the propaganda-pr**ks made of this useless and sorrowful war effort.

"Come see Berlin, the city of werehouses" (warehouse and were house spell the same in German) "- there were houses, there were houses, there were houses."

City was more a pile of rubble than anything else.

My favourite:

"Führer give orders - we take what follows (from it)!" as a soldiers joke of the Propaganda-Slogan "Führer give orders - we follow". Relates to the idiotic and murderous 'stand-fast'-orders Hitler gave on a regular basis as response to critical situations which called for retreat.

Not all Germans were the "don't think - follow orders"-type. :)

Cheers

Olf

I can tell one that my father told me that he remembered from wartime:

Two guys drive through the countryside when they accidentally drive over a pig. Says the first: 'Quick, let's go before the farmer gets us!' 'Let me handle this' says the other and goes into the farmers house. Quite a while later he comes back arms full with meat and sausages. 'For heavens sake what did you tell the farmer?' 'Well, I went in and said: "Heil Hitler the pig is dead!" '

Two German spies have just been dropped (by submarine) in southern England. In the first village on their way to London they decide to visit a pub to see how their cover holds up...

Barkeep: What can I get you gents?

1st German spy (in flawless English): two sherry's please.

Barkeep: Dry?

2nd German spy (in high shrill angry voice): NEIN, ZWEI!!

I can tell one that my father told me that he remembered from wartime:

Two guys drive through the countryside when they accidentally drive over a pig. Says the first: 'Quick, let's go before the farmer gets us!' 'Let me handle this' says the other and goes into the farmers house. Quite a while later he comes back arms full with meat and sausages. 'For heavens sake what did you tell the farmer?' 'Well, I went in and said: "Heil Hitler the pig is dead!" '

Translation: der Fuhrer was the Wurst Brat.

Two psychiatrists meet in Vienna in 1944. The first one greets with "Heil Hitler!", the other one replies "What? Heal* him yourself!".

*(German "heil" = imperative of "to heal").

A man goes to the doctor in germany in 1942 and says "Doctor, i think i am suffering from an inferiority complex.". The doctor replies: "I have good news for you! You dont suffer from an inferiority complex, you are inferior!"

The watermelon thing. is hilarious

AFAIK he was never promoted beyond the rank of Gefreiter (=Corporal? I thought Gefreiter = PFC) because his superiors thought he was not suited for a leadeship position. They were kinda right, werent they...

There are a lot of references to him being a corporal, referred to scornfully as the Austrian Corporal by Heer Generals. Anyways kinda goes with my rotten führer joke, which I just made up, I know its a groaner.