On the eve of D-Day

In the course of the day job I flew over Normandy at lunchtime today and thought you guys might appreciate some shots from the cockpit. Sorry about the poor quality. I blame the iPhone and 38000 feet of atmosphere. Hope you like these photos of Carentan, Isigny and Omaha, with Sword, Juno and Gold off in the distance.

I get a funny feeling flying over Normandy. To think all of those famous events actually happened just down there!

image.jpg

image-2.jpg

e2a05656-ae64-4756-b67b-f658612a5eb6.jpg

It gives you an amazing amount of respect for all those men. Look at those wide expanses of beach and how these soldiers had to wade in and be human targets for hundreds of yards. God bless all the soldiers of all sides who fought in this battle. Its incredible that operation was successful given incredible odds here.

I worked on ships in europe for a decade. Going up the Loire river in France revealed huge u-boat pens still there. I went into Cherbourg, Fecamp, Dieppe, Oostende. Driving through Holland there were pillboxes in farmers fields.

The history there send shivers down the spine.

Although they were never used in anger because the Battle of Britain was won in 1940, we have loads of pill boxes around here in Suffolk. They're just part of the rural furniture. It seems unreal that people seriously considered the possibility of battles being fought around my home, but I guess the locals in Normandy thought the same thing in 1940.