Elefant troubles

I'm having the worst time with this tank destroyer.

I've tried it out in a couple of test games and first of all its turn rate is about one degree a second - I have to manualle make it turn in reverse to get it to the right angle. Another problem is that even when faced with an enemy tank right in front of it, it starts to randomly pivot around ignoring aiming / armor arc orders.

I've never noticed this behaviour with the turretless tanks in CMBN - is it a bug, or am I totally not getting something?

Just had one in a quick battle take out 2 brit Shermans in about 20 seconds. The first hit went through the turret and made an impact crater about 15metres behind the Sherman, annihilating everyone in the turret. That is one scary MF weapon system. Wasn't using cover arcs just let it decide it's targets.

My trouble with the Elephant is finding a scenario with one in it. Except for the one where it is immobilized. Are there any other?

So I thought I´d try an Axis defence QB to try it out. But it´s rarity is so high I wasnt able to buy one. Any suggestions?

Cheers

I wouldn't be unhappy to see 3rd party scenarios start to show up on Repository with forces arrangements that QB purchasing makes difficult. Want to play with Panther turret bunkers versus heavy cruiser artillery? Borrow a QB map, rename it and make a proper scenario in the editor! :)

My elefant could see all enemy tanks - they were in plain sight and the elefant was the only German unit in the quickbattle.

The TacAI is purposefully predisposed to picking a target and sticking to it proportional to how difficult it is to change targets. Without this logic your little pixeltruppen stuck in virtual steel boxes would more often than not experience ADD. Not a good thing because Ritilin hadn't been invented yet :)

So it is possible that even if it did see all the other stuff (and are you sure? Click on the Elephant and double check) it might have figured it should dispatch the Halftrack first before switching to something else.

Steve

The TacAI is purposefully predisposed to picking a target and sticking to it proportional to how difficult it is to change targets. Without this logic your little pixeltruppen stuck in virtual steel boxes would more often than not experience ADD. Not a good thing because Ritilin hadn't been invented yet :)

So it is possible that even if it did see all the other stuff (and are you sure? Click on the Elephant and double check) it might have figured it should dispatch the Halftrack first before switching to something else.

Steve

Thanks for the reply - I guess my game was a bit extreme since the elefant (which had los on both targets) was under attack from two sides. It's still weird however, that when directly facing an opponent and having enough time to fire at it before turning to face the other target, it rather chooses to rotate instead.

Thanks for the reply - I guess my game was a bit extreme since the elefant (which had los on both targets) was under attack from two sides. It's still weird however, that when directly facing an opponent and having enough time to fire at it before turning to face the other target, it rather chooses to rotate instead.

As polite people say, "Stuff Happens" :) Remember that in real life crews make some really, really bad decisions. Even when not under extreme stress. CM is deliberately programmed to make sure those things happen. Otherwise we'd be complaining about everything being perfect Terminators!

Way back in the CMBO Alpha days there was no TacAI other than "here are your targets, instantly engage the one that is best". No delays, no random chance of mistakes, etc. It definitely wasn't a good thing.

What and where is this RARITY button ? Thanks.

It's actually a popup selection in the setup screen.

Steve