Dense Fog - can we ever get REALLY DENSE fog?

One issue with fog and haze is that the graphical effect doesn't play well with shaders and shadows, at least not in CMBN 2.01.

That sure looks like a bug. I am away from my CM computer too - do other people see this as well? I'll be honest I do not think I will have time to test this any time soon - too much work and I have PBEM games stacking up to boot.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weighing in ...

re: Topic 1 - I think one of the best newish features of the game is the ability to brighten night time. I hated that I couldn't see my units at night before they added that toggle. I would hate to have to hunt through the fog to find my units...

re: Topic 2 - I think seeing 150 meters in dense fog is generous... but I'm assuming dense fog is the pea soup variety.

• 6 months later...

1fkp.jpg

I think the CMX2 fog needs some work...it just doesn't seem to have any body to it. No wispy-ness. The heaviest CMX2 setting doesn't carry the atmosphere of the lightest CMX1 setting let alone CMBO's heaviest.

I can live with it but I hope they'll work on it. CMX2 densest fog looks more like an overcast day to me, than anything else.

Mord.

I'd vote for this! Am messing around with an urban fight in dense fog. The LOS is pretty much the width of a street, it is pre dawn and foggy. This infantryman was just shot from the 2 story building just beyond the tank and that is about the limit of visibility. The actual units are definitely handicapped with LOS issues, but the feel of the map just doesn't quite give any indication of just how foggy it is. Granted I wouldn't want to have the visual be as intense as the actual LOS, but a bit more soup to the fog would be nice.

Venafro1_zps64345d2d.jpg

I am thinking that maybe they have to come at it from another angle—which would help that patchwork look as well. Maybe they could find a way to make it like smoke? That would look great. It could even drift.

Mord.

I am thinking that maybe they have to come at it from another angle—which would help that patchwork look as well. Maybe they could find a way to make it like smoke? That would look great. It could even drift.

Mord.

Yes that would look cool but I imagine an entire map covered in drifting smoke or fog would be a big processor hit...might be one of the reasons spreading fire is not in the game yet.