Do Flavor objects catch bullets?

I've had a tank refuse to area fire because the LOF intersected a street sign half way there. So it sounds like concealment to me. Didn't make the LOF invalid; it was still red (good LOF lines are red, aren't they? I don't do very well with that end of the spectrum).

I've had a tank refuse to area fire because the LOF intersected a street sign half way there. So it sounds like concealment to me. Didn't make the LOF invalid; it was still red (good LOF lines are red, aren't they? I don't do very well with that end of the spectrum).

I think it's only for HE chucking guns (including on AFVs) but not the abstracted smallarms bullets.

Projectiles from small arms are tracked just like everything else; the ballistics aren't abstracted.

As to the OP's question... I don't know myself so I'd have to check, but Steve's previous answer would have come from consultation with Charles, so whatever he stated can be taken as definitive.

From an old Shock Force post.

Special note... Flavor Objects provide cover but not concealment. The degree of cover is, of course, dependent on what the object is. A soldier will get a lot more cover lying behind some tires instead of standing up behind a sign post :)

Steve

Yup thats correct guys, they provide cover and its variable depending on how solid the object it...the design of flavour objects though is that they arent large enough to block LOS as such. In the future we hope to add a large type such as say, storage containers, that will provide both.

Dan

Certainly hope so, in fact I would like to do a lot more with terrain in the future and as we build up our 3D vehicle 'database' as such that should indeed be possible including many more trees, flavour objects, etc.

One tricky part about cars as a flavour object is that to be realistic they need to be able to burn and they are large yet light enough to need to be movable or destroy-able by vehicles, which will likely require some further work on Charles end. In theory we could make a simple one that would somewhat work under the current flavour object system, but Id prefer to wait until we are able to have them go from a regular car, to a destroyed car to a burning car as they should.

Something I am working on for the nearer future are modular build roofs with proper 3D models for damage showing beams, etc. For such a small change as such (well not on my end, I think it requires around a couple of dozen models hehe), the overall affect of them should be very pleasing I think :)

Dan

Really glad to hear this Kwazydog, although I would be happy simply with "Burnt-out" versions of cars, trucks and even tanks - perhaps even one with blown-off turret. They would just add that look of "battlefield" :)

Thing is if we put this simple version in now chances are a more detailed version will just be pushed further down the to do list than it already is.

Something we have wanted since day one are destroyed versions of tanks...the problem is that that means we also need to make LODs for them, exponentially increase the work load of such a feature. I do believe it will happen, but we need to flesh out our vehicle model list first so we have less new vehicles to make per module thus allowing us to concentrate on this sort of stuff :)

Dan

I would think that at some point down the road a "pack" full of flavor objects (usable in all games/modules) would be snapped up like hotcakes. Is such a thing possible (ie, being able to use them across the platform)?

Yup thats correct guys, they provide cover and its variable depending on how solid the object it ...

I did a test once with a graveyard full of tombstones. I found that some (not all) bullets clearly passed through several tombstones. Charles' comment was along the lines of "flavor objects do block some incoming fire, but not all", if I recall correctly.

There appears to be some random factor at work. Of course, it would be interesting to know if flavor objects carry data like a (rolled-homogeneous) armor equivalent value with them.

Best regards,

Thom

I would think that at some point down the road a "pack" full of flavor objects (usable in all games/modules) would be snapped up like hotcakes. Is such a thing possible (ie, being able to use them across the platform)?

That might work to a limited extent. Problem is, some objects would be specific to a particular region.

Michael

That might work to a limited extent. Problem is, some objects would be specific to a particular region.

Well sure, but then you just don't select those flavor items in other regions.

For instance, while I probably wouldn't put a T-34 hulk in Sicily, I personally am not going to get hung up on whether the dead cow I put in a CMFI scenario is in fact a breed only found in Normandy...

I would just prefer not to have to buy a seperate flavor object pack for each of the four East Front games, for instance.