Winter Mods for the eventual CM East Front family

(Moved the discussion here from the 2013 Predictions thread in the main CMBN forum)

A place to discuss, strategize, and share any ideas, WIP samples, etc., in anticipation of the Eastern Front CM family in late 2013. Since the initial release may be set in the summertime, mods may be needed to give us the option to fight wintertime battles (at least until a later module gives us that season.

Originally Posted by Michael Emrys

If I understand BFC's plans correctly, the first family is intended to run from mid-'44 to mid-'45. Thus it should include all seasons. But I expect that it will require not only the base game, but all its modules in order to do so.

You can't really create winter terrain from a summer only base game or module. You could mod terrain so that it looks like winter, but you can't change the underlying characteristics of that terrain. I.e., you may be able to make it look like snow, but you wouldn't be able to ski on it. Rivers wouldn't freeze over, etc.

Michael

Originally posted by Broadsword56:

Well, a winter look is at least worthwhile to have the season fit the battles. Just enough to have the bare trees, hedges, frozen weeds and bushes, and the snowy terrain tiles like snowy mud, snowy dirt road, etc.

I suppose a terrain tile like "Sand" could be the one modded to make solid snow, because it would have at least some of the softer characteristics of snow. No skiing is necessary, and I don't think it matters to have actual falling snow either. Rain would give some of the same effects. The desert sand tile that LonLeftFlank made and that I've used on my Tunisia maps even has little wind ripples in it, and all it would need is to be much whiter instead of sandy colored.

As for frozen water -- again I think there might be a possible workaround -- maybe "shallow ford" or something could be modded to look more still and icy. Then it could be crossed by troops and one wouldn't need to use water at all on the map (I tend not to use it anyway because of the elevation constraints that go with it).

Thoughts?

Good question, Blazing 88's. Maybe some of our resident OOB and TO&E grogs can weigh in here with a summary of the specific things one would have to change or delete to make a 1944 Eastern Front German or Soviet force better resemble an end 1942/early 1943 force -- weapons, vehicles, unit structures?

BTW, Panzer Command as a boardgame op layer wouldn't necessarily be limited to a wintertime campaign. While the original game was historical and set in December 1942, it's my understanding that in the years (OMG, almost 30 years!) since the boardgame was published, gamers have made and shared various tools to extend the game's replay value and use its great chit-pull system in other seasons/theatres. New maps, some geomorphic; new counters; and even a set of rules for converting old Panzerblitz scenarios into Panzer Command ones. There's a VASSAL module for the original game version, but also a 2.0 version that includes the updated/modded content.

I'm interested in a wintertime mod just because I personally prefer historical situations. But I think it would be possible for those so inclined to set up all sorts of other, theoretical operations without needing a wintertime mod to CM.

Looking great. With the pics of the Autumn mod also making the roungs, you have to wonder why BF don't tap these modders on the shoulder and ask if they can make them official. Will save on resources when creating new products. Really important for a small company.

But I'm sure there's a reason that will be obvious when someone says it. :)

Hi,

Yup... a winter warfare mod would fly off the shelf.

A “cosmetic...” snow treatment plus maybe eliminating leaves on trees and that would do the job just fine.

Set weather to Overcast, up the wind strength and you are there. Have already played very successfully Bulge scenarios assuming a non snowy days. With Snow mod we would have hit the jackpot.

All the best,

Kip.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Real life has had the gall to interfere with my fun lately, plus I still haven't dug out the instructions I had from someone--Marco Bergman, I think--on how to work with Gimp and photoshop to do transparencies (needed for adding the snow to bocage/hedges/foliage). Also need to rename all the completed uniforms to conform to v2.0. Soon, but like BFC, I've learned not to give a release date! ;-)

below meant in a comradely joking fashion

Now we'll all hover over every comment in every thread mjkerner posts in an effort to try to determine when the mod will come out. He'll subtlely dance around our guesses like some sort of Hannibal Lecter character toying with the police.

But I cannot wait until Bulge Anniversary 16 Dec 2013 for the snow mod!

Please mjkerner, you are the catalyst! Once it hits the streets I predict Aris will crank out snow mod vehicles and someone else will fart out gloved hands and all kids of scarves and stuff will come screaming towards the repository.

Alright everybody in unison loudly to keep him awake

WIN-TER-MOD!

WIN-TER-MOD!

Alright, here's the deal: I will work like crazy this weekend (no work to take home, no honey-do chores, no visiting relatives, etc., etc.) on this project in order to finish it up and release it. Then all you bastiges, with kohlenklau out in front, have to don pink bras and panties, and march into the nearest Biker bar and loudly proclaim how much you just love the TV show "Sex and the City."

Those who survive can then enjoy a wintry CMBN.

I live near Austin, Texas. I am sure I can find a biker bar where as we enter we see everyone else is already dressed like that. We'd mill about, wait for a table, shoot back a cosmo or 2 and then head home to download your mod. My wife has lots of bras I think even a pink one but usually skips the panties...

So looking forward to your mod! My brain is whirling with the scenarios I want to make.

I am sure hundreds of other guys as well.

Thank you Thank you

in advance.

Mr. Kerner!............sunday night....................

How did the plan work out?

I have been doing some paint.NET work, see other thread...

also finally got a big cedar stump pulled out,

helped my college student with his essay.

worked with my 13 yo to help him make $$ to buy Aliens Colonial Marines.

Masked the small bathroom so the wife can paint on her day off.

Looking forward to wintery wonderlands.

Mr. Kerner!............sunday night....................

How did the plan work out?

I have been doing some paint.NET work, see other thread...

also finally got a big cedar stump pulled out,

helped my college student with his essay.

worked with my 13 yo to help him make $$ to buy Aliens Colonial Marines.

Masked the small bathroom so the wife can paint on her day off.

Looking forward to wintery wonderlands.

Somehow, I knew there would be a message waiting for me when I checked the forum tonight, lol.

Winter might be a tad late. I have more work left than I thought, and only had a couple of hours to actually work on it, as hings turned out. I do want to get it done myself, though, so it won't be long. You can get a good start on winter, youth, by downloading ellisam's mods on CMMODS. He did a lot, and his are what I'm basing mine on. My mod will addMa lot more objects/terrain with snow, and adding some German uniforms with snow camo. But his has a whole lot to scratch that itch of yours.:)

Alright, here's the deal: I will work like crazy this weekend (no work to take home, no honey-do chores, no visiting relatives, etc., etc.) on this project in order to finish it up and release it. Then all you bastiges, with kohlenklau out in front, have to don pink bras and panties, and march into the nearest Biker bar and loudly proclaim how much you just love the TV show "Sex and the City."

Those who survive can then enjoy a wintry CMBN.

Surely you would rather have us sing "The Lumberjack Song"?

"I put on women's clothing, just like my dear papa."