German Gravity-Defying Chin Straps?

I noticed that the GIs seem to wear their chinstraps firmly on their chins, but the German ones are well over an inch below the chin and must have extra starch, since they don't droop! This strikes me as odd. Also, ISTR some GI lore to the effect that a strapped on helmet could take your head off from a blast. Anything to that?

Regards,

John Kettler

I noticed that the GIs seem to wear their chinstraps firmly on their chins, but the German ones are well over an inch below the chin and must have extra starch, since they don't droop! This strikes me as odd.

Picky, picky, picky! The obvious solution is to stop looking so closely.

:D

Also, ISTR some GI lore to the effect that a strapped on helmet could take your head off from a blast. Anything to that?

I've heard that rumor too, but it doesn't make any sense. Any blast strong enough to take your head off via your chin strap is going to kill you anyway. I guess some GIs (and I would have been one of them) simply disliked wearing the chin strap and were searching for any rationalization to avoid it.

Michael

Mord,

I DID try it. Several times. Couldn't get anything to work as it should've. Also, I recently read something in which current users had run into problems.

LongLeftFlank,

Admirably phrased!

Mord,

If Nyarlathotep appears over here, I'll know who to blame! Impressive Cthulhu speak. The line thereafter's a positively (? after all, it IS Cthulhu) inspired (?) riff.

Michael Emrys,

I'm already stopping looking when my men are being macerated! In reality, I watch those disasters in awful fascination. Am strongly inclined to agree with your assessment on the blast situation. Now, a tommy helmet might be another matter altogether, and we had them early war. Unfortunately for our rightness (though I'm a southpaw), there apparently WAS a basis for the practice.

http://olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_gear_m1_helmet.php

(Fair Use)

"The steel outer helmet had a chin strap made of cotton webbing attached using the bail, its only attachment. The chin strap was often left undone (or buckled on the back of the helmet) with the unfounded idea that the force of an explosion could catch the helmet cause injury from the jerk of the chin strap. Although the interior suspension system of the liner was adjustable and would keep the helmet on the soldier's head even without the chin strap, there were times when an unstrapped soldier would have to hold his helmet on by hand. Commanders had to order the men to fasten their chin straps at all times.

During the course of the North African campaigns in 1943, the rigid hook fastener of the chin strap was found to be a source of potential danger. The strap remained fastened under the impact of a blast wave resulting from a nearby detonation, thereby jerking the head sharply and violently with the production of fractures or dislocations of the cervical vertebras. Therefore, it was necessary to redesign the helmet strap with a ball-and-clovis release so that it would remain closed during normal combat activities but would allow for a quick voluntary release or automatic release at pressures considerably below the accepted level of danger. Following extensive tests by Ordnance engineers, a new release device was developed which would release at a pull of 15 pounds or more. This device was standardized in 1944."

Here's a fuller explanation,

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229654&page=2

Blinky's post #16

(Fair Use)

"The chin strap release accessory was developed in response to a report that came from the field in the spring of 1943. The report had stated that the blast of an exploding bomb or shell near the vicinity of a helmeted soldier would cause the M-1 helmet to capture the force of the blast, and in some instances this force was large enough to break the neck of the wearer. At the request of Army Ground Forces, a research project was undertaken to develop a new chin strap device which would be released by the force of such a blast. Numerous tests were begun on a model of a human head constructed of wood and rubber and mounted on springs.

"As a result of these extensive tests, which also included the use of slow motion pictures, a new chin strap release was designed and samples were made up for further testing. At the conclusion of these tests it was decided the chin strap release which would release at the force of fifteen pounds would be satisfactory. It was felt that this release would allow the helmet to come off when acted upon by a strong blast, but would also hold the helmet on during ordinary combat maneuvers."

From The M-1 Helmet by Mark Reynosa, pages 24-25.

In thinking about this, the argument does make sense. Any blast effect which moves the wearer's head is magnified by the additional torque on the neck caused by the weight of the helmet and its ability to act somewhat like a sail in the presence of a blast wave. Restated, whatever happens to the head from blast caught below the helmet is magnified by a firmly strapped on helmet.

c3k,

Original and funny!

REgards,

John Kettler

Mord,

I DID try it. Several times. Couldn't get anything to work as it should've. Also, I recently read something in which current users had run into problems.

It's simple, John, upload the pic to imageshack, when you're done code will be in a couple different boxes, pick the one that says forums, copy and paste that into your post.

You may have to sign up now but it's a good site and it'll keep your pics for eternity. Sign up and I'll walk you through it. I am not letting you NOT post pics anymore. Your New Years resolution is to friggin' learn how to put an image in this forum!!!!!

Mord,

Impressive Cthulhu speak.

I learned cut & paste at Miskatonic (while I was getting my B.A. in Metaphysical Medieval Proctology)...if I'd tried to type that phrase out I would've broke my fingers.

Mord.

I was actually down at Yale last week. In addition to the Skull and Bones crypt, there's a whole bunch of other weird unmarked Lovecraftian buildings all over campus. A conspiracy theorist's paradise.

Trilateral Commission? No, sorry, this is Illuminati. You want one block west -- they share a crypt and sacrificial altar with the Bilderbergers, next to the All-Seeing Eye Hedge Fund in the old Prescott mansion. You can't miss it, look for the crematorium chimney out back.

Here's the specific example I had in mind of the gravity-defying/highly starched (neat trick for leather) German chin straps. The image is of Aris's mod German Faces. Dug ImageShack link out of View Source. What a nightmare that was, since the bloody thing shows ALL the coding for the entire page, not just the post!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/ARISTOTELES/GFModb.jpg

Regards,

John Kettler

Here's the specific example I had in mind of the gravity-defying/highly starched (neat trick for leather) German chin straps. The image is of Aris's mod German Faces. Dug ImageShack link out of View Source. What a nightmare that was, since the bloody thing shows ALL the coding for the entire page, not just the post!

Regards,

John Kettler

Not sure where you get gravity defying from? Looks OK to me, just not tightened up.

All this over a lose chin strap...dear lord.

Mord,

LongLeftFlank,

Admirably phrased!

Mord,

If Nyarlathotep appears over here, I'll know who to blame! Impressive Cthulhu speak. The line thereafter's a positively (? after all, it IS Cthulhu) inspired (?) riff.

Michael Emrys,

I'm already stopping looking when my men are being macerated! In reality, I watch those disasters in awful fascination. Am strongly inclined to agree with your assessment on the blast situation. Now, a tommy helmet might be another matter altogether, and we had them early war. Unfortunately for our rightness (though I'm a southpaw), there apparently WAS a basis for the practice.

http://olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_gear_m1_helmet.php

(Fair Use)

"The steel outer helmet had a chin strap made of cotton webbing attached using the bail, its only attachment. The chin strap was often left undone (or buckled on the back of the helmet) with the unfounded idea that the force of an explosion could catch the helmet cause injury from the jerk of the chin strap. Although the interior suspension system of the liner was adjustable and would keep the helmet on the soldier's head even without the chin strap, there were times when an unstrapped soldier would have to hold his helmet on by hand. Commanders had to order the men to fasten their chin straps at all times.

During the course of the North African campaigns in 1943, the rigid hook fastener of the chin strap was found to be a source of potential danger. The strap remained fastened under the impact of a blast wave resulting from a nearby detonation, thereby jerking the head sharply and violently with the production of fractures or dislocations of the cervical vertebras. Therefore, it was necessary to redesign the helmet strap with a ball-and-clovis release so that it would remain closed during normal combat activities but would allow for a quick voluntary release or automatic release at pressures considerably below the accepted level of danger. Following extensive tests by Ordnance engineers, a new release device was developed which would release at a pull of 15 pounds or more. This device was standardized in 1944."

Here's a fuller explanation,

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229654&page=2

Blinky's post #16

(Fair Use)

"The chin strap release accessory was developed in response to a report that came from the field in the spring of 1943. The report had stated that the blast of an exploding bomb or shell near the vicinity of a helmeted soldier would cause the M-1 helmet to capture the force of the blast, and in some instances this force was large enough to break the neck of the wearer. At the request of Army Ground Forces, a research project was undertaken to develop a new chin strap device which would be released by the force of such a blast. Numerous tests were begun on a model of a human head constructed of wood and rubber and mounted on springs.

"As a result of these extensive tests, which also included the use of slow motion pictures, a new chin strap release was designed and samples were made up for further testing. At the conclusion of these tests it was decided the chin strap release which would release at the force of fifteen pounds would be satisfactory. It was felt that this release would allow the helmet to come off when acted upon by a strong blast, but would also hold the helmet on during ordinary combat maneuvers."

From The M-1 Helmet by Mark Reynosa, pages 24-25.

In thinking about this, the argument does make sense. Any blast effect which moves the wearer's head is magnified by the additional torque on the neck caused by the weight of the helmet and its ability to act somewhat like a sail in the presence of a blast wave. Restated, whatever happens to the head from blast caught below the helmet is magnified by a firmly strapped on helmet.

c3k,

Original and funny!

REgards,

John Kettler

Here's the specific example I had in mind

Regards,

John Kettler

Well, that's closer...you've nearly succeeded in posting a pic. Technically, you getting a passing grade. One more step, and you'll have it down. Follow poesel's instructions on the last step and you should have it.

Mord.