Own Goal ?

Has this happened to anyone before?

Playing a mission where you defend a ridgeline against a german combined arms assault. I had a sherman positioned on the reverse slope to ambush the oncoming Pz IVs. Worked a treat, the enemy tank lumbers over the hill, the sherman fires... and the projectile richochets into the air in a lazy parabola straight back down through the turret roof of my sherman which promptly does the usual sherman thing and burns brightly. Only wish I had a screenshot!

Has this happened to anyone before?

Playing a mission where you defend a ridgeline against a german combined arms assault. I had a sherman positioned on the reverse slope to ambush the oncoming Pz IVs. Worked a treat, the enemy tank lumbers over the hill, the sherman fires... and the projectile richochets into the air in a lazy parabola straight back down through the turret roof of my sherman which promptly does the usual sherman thing and burns brightly. Only wish I had a screenshot!

I remember something similar happening to a T34-85 against a panther posted by someone (CMBB obviously) :). Not as extreme, but I lost several guys due to stray small arms fire in the PBEMs I'm playing.

Harsmith,

Welcome aboard!

What a horrible way to start here! Unless the projectile dropped down an open hatch, then detonated, I can think of no mechanism by which a ricocheted round in low free fall could hope to get through the roof and deck armor of a Sherman. Now, an M10 or other open top AFV would be different!

http://home.simplyweb.net/jhirschy/dragon/sometime.gif

Regards,

John Kettler

I remember something similar happening to a T34-85 against a panther posted by someone (CMBB obviously) :). Not as extreme, but I lost several guys due to stray small arms fire in the PBEMs I'm playing.

Not to your own small arms fire, you didn't. Rounds less than 5-oh cal will contribute to suppression, but not inflict casualtiess. Stray handgrenades (but not the team's own handgrenades) and rifle grenades will, but not rifle calibre rounds or pistol calibre.

Oh, and "Wot JK sed". With knobs on.

Thanks for the hello,

Yes the hatch was open as I wanted max crew reaction time and the tank (seemed) well protected in defilade. Im just amazed that the game engine can model something like that. I've had collateral damge to infantry near tanks from rounds bouncing off before but nothing like this! I guess thats why footsloggers kept their distance from armour in real life.

Yes the hatch was open as I wanted max crew reaction time and the tank (seemed) well protected in defilade.

Seems reasonable.

Im just amazed that the game engine can model something like that. I've had collateral damge to infantry near tanks from rounds bouncing off before but nothing like this! I guess thats why footsloggers kept their distance from armour in real life.

I have lost infantry near tanks due to ricocheting rounds as well. But to have it drop into your tank - well bad luck old chap. Do you have a saved game - getting a screen shot / movie would be awesome.

Not to your own small arms fire, you didn't. Rounds less than 5-oh cal will contribute to suppression, but not inflict casualtiess. Stray handgrenades (but not the team's own handgrenades) and rifle grenades will, but not rifle calibre rounds or pistol calibre.

Oh, and "Wot JK sed". With knobs on.

I was merely illustrating the fact that the ballistic model is very detailed. I will make sure I communicate more correct in the future :P.

The closest I ever came to something like that was once in a CMBO game when a German mortar round dropped through the open hatch of a Stuart. Man, was I bummed about that particular stroke of bad luck!

Michael

I remember a game on CMBO in which a German attack has to pass over a few bridges, controlled by British troops on my command.

I had TRPs on all of them and proceed to unload every single direct and indirect fire weapon I had on those as soon as the Germans came thru.

At the end, I found a 2" Mortar team credited with a Panther kill.

I suppose it went through an open hatch...

I remember waaaay back when playing M1 Tank Platoon (which was pretty darned accurate for its day), and my tank took a hit and lost the ballistics computer. I was trying to hit a BMP some 3000 yards away, so I manually elevated the gun for the shot, bang, away it goes, and I watch it arc gracefully through the sky... and hit dead center on an Su-25 Frogfoot which was pulling up off a pass on some of my other forces. I was amazed the developers even considered the possibility of a SU-25 being shot down by an M1 HEAT round.

Even if it dropped through an open hatch, it would be very hot, but other than that... Still, it's fun to see what the game engine is capable of.

Shermans fired "APHE" shells. Shells with a bursting charge. The way CM models these is that they explode at the end of the shell's trajectory (rather than milliseconds after getting smacked against something hard, like the armour of a tank). So a looping ricochet is, in game, carrying a chunk of chemical destructive power, capable of killing up to 30m away, or several within a small blast radius. IRL, a ricocheting APHE shell would, I believe, have had its bursting charge detonated, and would, indeed, be a tumbling chunk of hot metal.