multiple units selected

I have a problem which is probably not common here (at least I cannot remember anyone else complaining):

I very often accidentaly select several units through doubleclicking while I only want to move one. Because I often only have one unit on the screen I inadvertently plot the moves for all units. This is very annoying obviously. The cause is probably that I play with a trackpad and the right-click gets lost.

I would like to ask for a small change: when more than one unit is selected change the cursor so that it shows an additional small '+'. That would help very much.

I've tried to make a mockup (see attachment) but I'm not much of an artist.

post-19095-141867624056_thumb.jpg

I have a problem which is probably not common here (at least I cannot remember anyone else complaining):

I very often accidentaly select several units through doubleclicking while I only want to move one. Because I often only have one unit on the screen I inadvertently plot the moves for all units. This is very annoying obviously. The cause is probably that I play with a trackpad and the right-click gets lost.

I would like to ask for a small change: when more than one unit is selected change the cursor so that it shows an additional small '+'. That would help very much.

I've tried to make a mockup (see attachment) but I'm not much of an artist.

A small workaround maybe, if you don't already do this, is to set the game to show all movement paths, and if you see that you are plotting moves for multiple units, simply press back space to delete all the move orders at the same time. But it does indeed sound annoying :)

A small workaround maybe, if you don't already do this, is to set the game to show all movement paths, and if you see that you are plotting moves for multiple units, simply press back space to delete all the move orders at the same time. But it does indeed sound annoying :)

I've set it to show all paths so I usually notice it when I zoom out. But now the real PITA is if the unit you pathed was the last in his group or - even better - the battalion commander and now everyone has these extra paths attached. Now pressing back space will delete ALL paths at once instead of only the last move like CM usually does (a behaviour I sincerely hope will be changed sometime). So now you have to re-path every unit or you have to select each single unit to delete the extra paths.

That kind of punishment should normally teach you enough not to repeat it. But it still happens to me more often than I like. Thus the plea for this enhancement.

I agree - I've only done it a couple of times, but when you do ... especially if you didn't notice before clicking "Go" in your PBEM. When that movie file comes back, you can watch half your troops abandon their positions and swan about in all sorts of strange directions !

Sounds like a useful enhancement.

This is an excellent idea. Having the cursor change shape when you've got a unit selected would be good too, to help prevent inadvertent additions of the last unit you had selected to the new group selected by shift-drag.

The problem with relying on punishment to teach you not to do it is that as the frequency of the error declines, the level of reinforcement declines too, but the annoyance when it does happen gets no less.

Yes, it's annoying when it happens and you have just destroyed a mass of complex moves for a battalion. But, it's a noob error and with experience one learns to not make stoopid moves - at least I can't recall the last time I did it. :)

Hehe I just keep doing it - to my self:)

When it happens to me is when I am looking from level 3 or 4 at a section of the battle field I often select a whole platoon to get a better idea of their relative potions to each other - and other platoons. Then when I want to actually issue move orders to a section or team I zoom down to level 2 and close to the unit. That's when I forget that I have the whole platoon selected.

My new SOP is to click into open space to deselect everything and then select the unit again before I plot any moves. So far so good.