Shock Force Modules or Normandy

The three modules for SF add a TON of content and let you play all of the user made scenarios available. If you loved vanilla Shock Force you will be blown away by how much better the game is with the modules.

What sort of improvements come from adding the three modules to SF? Is it the breadth of different units? Are the scenarios any good? (Still trying to decide if I can face fighting with the web site to actually get it ordered.)

What sort of improvements come from adding the three modules to SF? Is it the breadth of different units? Are the scenarios any good? (Still trying to decide if I can face fighting with the web site to actually get it ordered.)

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=257&Itemid=421

Go to the main pages. It tells you everything that is included in the modules. I would recommend getting it. Its like having cereal without the milk?

First off, they don't add any new features, just content, in case you didn't know.

To answer your questions, yes, there is a HUGE breadth of different units available and the scenarios are better than the original ones. The guys making the scenarios became much more skilled over time and it shows.

There is also a lot more variety in the mission design than the vanilla SF ones. Some examples: The first mission of the Marines campaign has you running a few scout teams around an enemy occupied town at night, calling in airstrikes on tanks and taking out HQ teams. Many of the NATO missions have strict rules of engagement, meaning you can't just blast away at every occupied building. Another big change is that Javelins are few and far between, even for the Marines. This changes the battlefield dynamic quite a bit, since you can't just sit a couple Javelin teams on a building and dominate the map. You have to use semi-stationary ATGMs, just like the Syrian forces.

As far as units, I couldn't even begin to list all the new stuff available. In vanilla SF, you basically have Humvees, Strykers, Bradleys, and tanks. The Marine module alone has more variety, plus giving you bigger, badder infantry squads. The other nations each have their own assortment of vehicles, that are often lighter and less heavily armed than the US stuff, which offers a more level playing field for the Syrians. The craziest unit is probably the British dune buggy thing with machine guns mounted all over it. You also have to deal with much smaller infantry squads most of the time. A German mechanized platoon is only somewhat larger than one Marine squad, and usually not packing as much firepower. The Syrians also get new toys like T-90s and Shilkas, which spice things up quite a bit.

Like Mord said, get the modules now and wait for the 2.0 engine upgrade for CMBN. I love CMBN as well, but I'm not touching it until that update comes out and I can enjoy it with all the new features.

I suggest get the three modules for Shock Force CMSF. I will be getting the entire MAC CMSF enchilada when it is available. Modern eqipment trumps WWII in my book.

Why wait for the 2.0 engine upgrade for CMBN when you can preorder CMFI MAC. I could not resist and am awaiting a little tin box.

Should I get the three modules for Shock Force or should I get Normandy with the British module? I loved Shock Force, but I also loved the WW2 setting of CMx1... I'm really torn between the two and I'm not sure which to get.

I'm a bit late to the party here, Hosed10. This sounds like an either/or question, right? If it is, then it's a really hard decision to make. Basically, if you really enjoy CMSF, I honestly can't see why you wouldn't love the modules. They add so much to the game. If you liked it, it will only make your present experience much better. Get them all to get all the units for both sides.

As for CMBN with the Commonwealth module... it's WW2 and that's all that matters. Whichever one you chose to buy, you won't be disappointed with it but you will miss something special by not having the other.

I still play CMSF regularly. I prefer the fact that it is "finished" and therefore you can concentrate on strategy and tactics without having to wonder what changes may be made to the program.

The only new update this game really needs is the "Target Briefly" order, but we wil have to wait for CMSF2 for that one.

Thanks Vanir Ausf B

Next 12 months sound great. CMSF2!

Paper Tiger

CMSF with all the modules (for MAC?) now?

CMSF2 (for MAC?) sometime next year?

CM WWII is interesting and fun but Modern Era warfare is exciting, unforgiving and can be lethal very quickly.