Where will game ship from?

Hi,

Good news on this and all the upcoming stuff. :eek:

Will CMFI ship from USA only or will it be shipping from Europe as well?

Big decision for me as the UK Customs and Post Office "admin" fees wiil push this out of the range I am willing to pay for a game. :mad:

If not might have to wait a long time for it to be on sale to make it worth it.

Please can we have no "bang for your buck" etc, replies/hijacks. A simple q requiring a simple answer from anyone in the know. :D

Cheers

Quote from the preorder page:

A note to our European customers: the Tin Case Edition is shipping exclusively from our main US fulfillment location. This means that our European customers, just like all other international customers, may be subject to their local customs and import regulations. In most cases this merely means that there is a chance that you have to pay your country's VAT on top of the purchase price. The only known exception currently is the UK, where apparently the Royal Mail service is charging a flat handling fee on top.

You can of course wait until the game is released and then go for the download only option if you don't want to pay the UK Royal Mail fee or VAT.

Quote from the preorder page:

You can of course wait until the game is released and then go for the download only option if you don't want to pay the UK Royal Mail fee or VAT.

I have already posted elsewhere on this matter Moon, but this looks like the place to discuss it.

WHY?????

We got CW via the Euro warehouse why not this?

I'll crosspost my reply below. CW didn't have printed goods.

Oh, that's a bit of a long story. The main problem are the printed manuals and the tin cases, which would have to be shipped from the US to the EU warehouse because it's too expensive to have them produced in the EU AND the US separately. We had a lot of issues with EU customs in the more recent past, with huge inexplicable delays that make any kind of release schedule totally unreliable. Worst case, EU customers may end up having to wait 6 months on their hardgoods, because that's how long the last shipment we attempted got stuck!

So the only viable option is to ship from the US. While this certainly is not as convenient for EU customers as when we ship from Germany, it isn't any different than it's always been for all other international non-EU customer (Canada, Australia/NZ, China... just to name a few of the biggest ones).

Martin

Thanks Moon.

Missed that info. Should have gone to Spec Savers. :D

I really don't have an issue with the customs charge but the UK post Office "admin" fee is way too much. Between the two it could add around £20 ($30) to the cost.

I prefer a cd/dvd to downloads.

Will probably wait to get this. Unless some kind person in the US is willing to help out.

Cheers

By default, you get one serial if you purchase "download" or "download&mail", with twice the number of activations. You get two serials if you purchase "mail only".

If you need two serials for "download" or "download&mail", go to www.battlefront.com/helpdesk, click on "Submit Ticket", and we can help you.

We want the tins and the download and if we can save a few quid all the better.

thanks

So the only viable option is to ship from the US. While this certainly is not as convenient for EU customers as when we ship from Germany, it isn't any different than it's always been for all other international non-EU customer (Canada, Australia/NZ, China... just to name a few of the biggest ones).

The EU with 500 million is a bigger market than the US so to lump us in with Australia, Canada and New Zealand who scale out at 24, 35, and 4 million seems a trifle lacking in appreciation of potential market size.

Perhaps sales in the EU would be a lot higher but for the very high cost we pay for the game. And of course for many EU citizens WW2 has a more than passing historical significance.

The EU with 500 million is a bigger market than the US so to lump us in with Australia, Canada and New Zealand who scale out at 24, 35, and 4 million seems a trifle lacking in appreciation of potential market size.

Perhaps sales in the EU would be a lot higher but for the very high cost we pay for the game. And of course for many EU citizens WW2 has a more than passing historical significance.

The EU is bigger than the four examples I gave, but the Rest of the World including other countries is considerably bigger than the EU, of course. Purely in terms of population, that is, but that's the figure you used :)

Sales in the EU are great, and have been continuously increasing in the past years. People who don't like the VAT they have to pay (which apply to anything you buy in that country, btw) can always opt for the download only option.

People who don't like the VAT they have to pay (which apply to anything you buy in that country, btw) can always opt for the download only option.

Moon,correct me if i am wrong. Those that get DL only have to wait long after those that order the Mail&DL?

I have to say that we are pretty unhappy with the options available to us. The only one that is commercially viable for us is to have everything produced here in the US and then shipped to Germany for distribution within the EU. But as Moon said, the stereotype of German efficiency is greatly overstated when it comes to Customs. We got burned pretty badly with a delay and they've tried to burn us a couple other times by demanding Duties they aren't owed. We still have to go through the latter problem occasionally, but it doesn't do well to have that happen when we're under a definite ship date deadline.

On the other hand we know full well that many European countries have decided that whacking non-EU packages with huge fees is a way to fill revenue holes in their budgets. Not only have they increased the charges (the UK is criminal IMHO), but they have vastly increased the chances that a package will be stopped and hit with a fee. There's nothing we can do about this.

And of course shipping costs have been going up 10% or more a year, which is not good.

The best case for a European customer wanting a physical product is waiting for us to get stock to Europe after initial release and pay lower shipping costs, which helps offset the VAT that's now a factor. The best case for a European customer wanting the least expensive game at the first possible moment is to order download only. No shipping cost, no Duties, and no VAT. Hard to beat that arrangement :D

Steve

Oh, and no we can not mark a package as "Gift". This is a criminal offense and none of us are interested in going to jail to aid in tax evasion of our customers. All a Customs Officer has to do is open the package and we're busted. No thanks.

Steve

I think he was talking about us individuals, not BFC. Some of us have no scruples! :D

Hah. If our British cousins had a set, they'd order a shipload full of CMFI tins. Then, while it is sitting in harbor awaiting customs inspection, they could dress up in Indian garb and throw all the games into the Thames tidal pool! Overthrow your oppressors! No taxation with gaming! Or somesuch.

Hah. If our British cousins had a set, they'd order a shipload full of CMFI tins. Then, while it is sitting in harbor awaiting customs inspection, they could dress up in Indian garb and throw all the games into the Thames tidal pool! Overthrow your oppressors! No taxation with gaming! Or somesuch.

A tin party?

The best case for a European customer wanting a physical product is waiting for us to get stock to Europe after initial release and pay lower shipping costs, which helps offset the VAT that's now a factor.

Steve

Hi,

So there will be an option to buy a hard copy from Europe at a later date?

If so then I'll wait until that option is available. Got enough to keep me going with other games in the series and interests. Don't need to be the first on the block to play the latest release.

Will order availability from Europe be announced or is it a case of keep checking?

Cheers

Not happy. I'm not paying customs and administrative fee to post office, too bad.

br.

Dr.Jones

Hi Dr. Jones,

Your country may be different to the UK. I'd check first on which fees you may pay.

The UK Post Office just use customs clearing as a way of making lots of money. I think this may be unique to the UK but I could be wrong.

I was very fortunate when I bought CMBN as it slipped through the net where others got stung with the charges. :mad:

Trying to avoid these fees is like playing Russian Roulette, eventually your luck will run out. Now in the UK it's even harder for packages to slip through customs unnoticed and you're now playing Russian Roulette with an automatic pistol. ;)

Cheers

Hi Dr. Jones,

Your country may be different to the UK. I'd check first on which fees you may pay.

The UK Post Office just use customs clearing as a way of making lots of money. I think this may be unique to the UK but I could be wrong.

I was very fortunate when I bought CMBN as it slipped through the net where others got stung with the charges. :mad:

Trying to avoid these fees is like playing Russian Roulette, eventually your luck will run out. Now in the UK it's even harder for packages to slip through customs unnoticed and you're now playing Russian Roulette with an automatic pistol. ;)

Cheers

Mate, you are not alone in the extortion fee area. I have pre-ordered a few games from US (including BF) and I always get a 8 EUR charge + custom. No luck here, all packages from abroad (non EU) are opened and checked, so no Russian roulette for me.

br.

Dr.Jones

Hi,

So there will be an option to buy a hard copy from Europe at a later date?

That is the plan, yes. But the tin boxes will likely be gone before then. Though we are talking about trying to outsmart the customs problems going forward. Just nothing we can do about it for this release.

Will order availability from Europe be announced or is it a case of keep checking?

Normally we don't make such announcements as to where things are coming from. However, the world is changing and we do understand that what used to work for the last 12 years has apparently run its course. We'll come up with something better than what we have had and what we offer you guys now.

Mate, you are not alone in the extortion fee area. I have pre-ordered a few games from US (including BF) and I always get a 8 EUR charge + custom. No luck here, all packages from abroad (non EU) are opened and checked, so no Russian roulette for me.

On the plus side, you live in Ljubljana, one of the most beautiful cities in one of the most beautiful countries on Earth. Of course that's just one man's opinion based on a long ago trip to your country and someone who owns every single thing Laibach ever put out (first purchase was in 1989, which dates both me and the band). So I am a little biased :D

Steve

On the plus side, you live in Ljubljana, one of the most beautiful cities in one of the most beautiful countries on Earth. Of course that's just one man's opinion based on a long ago trip to your country and someone who owns every single thing Laibach ever put out (first purchase was in 1989, which dates both me and the band). So I am a little biased :D

Steve

Thx Steve, what I love about Slovenia are the trees (and i'm no tree huger), 50+% of the land is covered by trees, so lots of green color here, that's why the national color is green.

br.

Dr.Jones