Shorter turn time for WEGO

The one minuet turn time was good for the CM1 games but with CMBN I can get into far too much trouble. Maybe an option for 30sec or 1min at the start of the scenario. Probably too much to implement with a patch so how about implementing it in the Bulge game. Because of this I have been playing RT with generous use of the "pause" button which really makes the game more fun but I miss the playback. Any one else agree?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes.

It might also make PBEM file sizes smaller but would take twice as long to play a game. I don't know how the AI would handle it. Might be a worse opponent.

Yes this will be a difficult with PBEM games. There isn't any quick way to send this file. There should be a some kind of inbuilt tool in this game that will enable quicker sending this files.

Yes this will be a difficult with PBEM games. There isn't any quick way to send this file. There should be a some kind of inbuilt tool in this game that will enable quicker sending this files.

Drop box works wonderfully for play by email games. And I fully recommend the Head 2 Head Helper that's available from GreenAsJade

30 seconds turns could end up making PBEM games laborious: 240 file exchanges for 60 mins!

As if 120 is free wheeling. :D I hand it to you PBEM players. You've got far more patience than I.

Here's to hoping tcp/ip we-go or pausible RT is implemented.

I'm supporting this idea with all my heart !! :)

I'd love to see an option for 30s turns in WEGO. What is best, that should not be hard to impement. Just calculate 30s of play instead of 60s. Technically it would not be a problem to chose different time for every turn, for example start WEGO with 60s turns, and after first contact switch to 30s turns. Only the option to chose turn lenght would have to be added (coded).

I think 30 sec turns would encourage things to happen too fast. What is wrong with having your pixeltruppen go more slowly? Dont try to do too much in a turn, and dont expect robotic coordination guided by your eye in the sky god like powers. I like the current feel - much better than CMx1.

Just to show an alternative view.

I think 30 sec turns would encourage things to happen too fast. What is wrong with having your pixeltruppen go more slowly?

Because of time limit on the scenario ?

Because something wrong or unexpected can happen at the beginning of the turn and you can't help your troops giving them different orders for a whole 60s (they can be dead after this time) and they are not smart enough, with their own AI, to react properly....? If one minute was so good and proper way to play ;) then why bother with RT at all ? ;)

60s was a compromise, but worked well for years. But we are not sure, if a different value like 30s would not work even better. The game became more complicated and faster in CMx2 incarnation, much more is happening, so maybe 30s turn time would be better suited ?

We won't know for sure, until the betatesters try it and see if it makes a better gameplay, or maybe not much is gained (but also nothing lost).

Well, if someone liked the 60s turns better, he could just click "go" making any orders after first 30s turn ;).

What is wrong with having your pixeltruppen go more slowly? Dont try to do too much in a turn, and dont expect robotic coordination guided by your eye in the sky god like powers.

Quoted. For. Truth.

This simple insight seems utterly beyond some posters to this forum, and we saw exactly the same thing in the discussion around the Hunt command. Going more slowly doesn't mean using the Slow command all the time, it means trying to do less with each unit in what is, after all, just 60 seconds. Some people want to nest a whole bunch of what are effectively AND/OR/IF statements in their orders. When you try that in the RealWorld your soldiers give you a blank look, nod obediently, then go off and do whatever the hell they want to.

Keep it simple, and just do one thing per turn. Just clear the house this turn. If it's clear then cross that road next turn. Don't try and string together a set of orders which attempts to have your squad clear the house AND cross the road IF the house is empty. Apart from avoiding the frustrating chaos that's likely to ensue, just having your guys do nothing for half a turn can be quite useful. Observing, spotting, targetting ... they all work better when you do nothing for a bit.

Sometimes nothing is the best thing to do.

We won't know for sure, until the betatesters try it and see if it makes a better gameplay, or maybe not much is gained (but also nothing lost).

Well, if someone liked the 60s turns better, he could just click "go" making any orders after first 30s turn ;).

Except the time spent by CM coders that would be lost to other projects. Not a small item for something requested by a very very small number of users.

-1 on this idea.

+1 on focus on the next module

Out of the mouths of babes.

I'm sure you could explain us some of the difficulties of implementing an option for 30s turns?

Except the time spent by CM coders that would be lost to other projects. Not a small item for something requested by a very very small number of users.

Yes, implementing and testing something like this is FOR SURE comparable in terms of required time and efforts to making a module... eh.... It's probably less effort than making a single vehicle for new module. I hate polls, but I guess most of the people playing WEGO would chose 30s turns if they could - it means more control on their troops, something one step closer to RT in terms of controlability, but still without the drawbacks of RT.

[irony mode on] I would also suggest to abandon ANY improvements and just focus on the next modules. The game is definitely playable now. [irony mode off].

-1 on this idea.

Ah yes, I see.... What is most important is the number of vehicles in the game... We are different kinds of players.

-1 on this idea.

Yeah next module. A few new versions of Sherman tank :). Next module (IMO) should fix or add many new things (aa guns, flamthrowers, new commands, new objects in the map editor <for example more Normandy-looking buildings; like manors etc., ruins, changes in modular buildings-boxes> and many other things). But personally I'm thinking that we will get new Shermans :P and awful (IMO) quick battle maps (many of them don't look like the Normandy or plant earth at all:confused:.

Next module (IMO) should fix or add many new things (aa guns, flamthrowers, new commands, new objects in the map editor <for example more Normandy-looking buildings; like manors etc., ruins, changes in modular buildings-boxes> and many other things).

BFC have always been clear that modules aren't going to contain new game mechanics or other major features. They pretty much just give you new vehicles, infantry formations and scenarios. The next game (still presumed to be Bulge onwards in the absence of new information) might contain an interface overhaul, fire or other stuff, although nothing has actuallu been stated, so that is all wishful thinking and guesswork.

-1 on this idea.

How do you know how much coding it would take to add this. ????

Personnally I see nothing wrong with the present minute. But I think it would not be a hard thing to give the player options, where he could select the time wanted. Like maybe a choice of 15,30 and or 60 seconds.

But I also agree with, dont bother to PBEM with me unless it is the minute turn. Games already take a very long time for most of us.

But no harm in adding the feature for those that could use it.