Things left undone, minor bugs, etc

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to add to my last post (can't edit?), that "Extreme" motivation of Panther crews could be a partial explanation of why Panthers were not knocked-out and crews didn't abandoned them but continued to fight.

When I set motivation to "normal" in the same test, most of Panthers were knocked-out or destroyed (wonder, what is the difference) after first penetration from Shermans - even though casualty rate among the crews of penetrated Panthers was just as low as before!

Use Motivation settings for tank crews higher than High with care, as Extreme or Fanatic can cause tanks being hard to kill ;) because chance for tank being actually damaged/knocked out by penetration can be not too high, and casualty rate among crews of penetrated tanks is low too.

Seem the tank "knock-out" rate of penetrating shots depends somewhat on crew motivation setting ?

But if low-motivated crews are prone to abandon not-very-damaged tanks (that they would continue to use and fight in, if they had higher motivation) then why those tanks are marked as permanently "knocked-out" and cannot be re-crewed later by the same crew ? :)

Well said Amizaur. I agree.

The whole armour module in the game has been a disappointment with what lloks like CMSF coding just imported into WW2. That is why in version !.0 we had Panthers moving at speeding firing broadside and hitting. Things are improving but my faith in BF's design has taken a huge knock.

It borders on the insulting to its audience to claim for realism with tanks acting in such a way.

It reminds me of the first Churchill tanks which came out of Vauxhall's factory. They had the balls to explain it was the best tank they could make currently after one years development:

Vauxhall succeeded in making the schedule, but were so conscious of the vehicle's deficiencies that they included in the user's handbook a disclaimer, which is here partly quoted and partly paraphrased:

"All those things which we know are not as they should be will be put right. In nearly every case the cure has already been found, and it will be introduced as soon as the new materials or parts become available. We are aware of defects, but basically the Churchill is a good tank. In these abnormal times it is thought better to produce the tank as it is, and to carry out the modifications we know to be necessary in the field units".

* Drag and drop waypoints... this was one of my favorite features of CMx1

I support this with all my heart !! I'm sick when I have to plot again almost a whole path, to change position of a single waypoint I have misplaced....... :(

It was so easy and quick to modify the path in the previous game.... I miss this simple feature very much.

* Drag and drop waypoints... this was one of my favorite features of CMx1

I support this with all my heart !! I'm sick when I have to plot again almost a whole path, to change position of a single waypoint I have misplaced....... :(

It was so easy and quick to modify the path in the previous game.... I miss this simple feature very much.

I loved being able to plot a long movement and then follow it along the ground while making minor adjustments to the path.

What got me thinking about this yesterday was after a Kubelwagen wasted three turns driving through the edge of the woods after I'd given it a dozen-waypoint order. I had had given it on order to turn around and run straight down the road. Unfortunately, while turning around, it drove into the woods. Trying to follow the straight line to the next waypoint, it continued driving through the woods rather than getting back on the road. I didn't notice it until I went looking for the team that it was carrying.

Being able to drag waypoints around wouldn't have changed this, but would have been much simpler than deleting and reissuing all the commands.

Hi all,

I'm new to CMBN but I've noticed US and CW forces tend to use their own nomenclature for unit designation but not German units. If this thread is some kind of wishlist, here is mine: I'd really like if the german unit's name would be translated to... German instead of re-using US army nomenclature.

Platoon and Company HQ could be Zug-Trupp and Kompanie-Trupp, SpÀher for scouts team. Gruppe and Halb-Gruppe instead of squad and teams, etc.

It would add more historical flavor to the game IMO.

I don't speak german myself, but it would represent what, 15 words to memorize at most? Not that big of a deal for anyone with some ww2 knowledge IMO. Still, why not leave as an option or moddable? Everyone would be happy then ;)

Beside, I think this game would greatly benefit from more moddability than just graphic mods.

4. Harder to spot AT guns. by Lanzfeld

Yes - very important point (beside all others) and not just a "minor" thing IMO.

In CMx1 a "hidden" AT gun was nearly invisible to the enemy as long as it hasn't been moved or opened fire

(depending on the ground it was placed and environment). Now in CMBN AT guns are always detected at once

and can be taken out with mortars quickly, without having the chance to fire at a tank. This makes AT guns in CMBN nearly useless. :(

(AT Gun spotting: How well are they spotted BEFORE they fire? Next, what is the range to the closest friendly unit - which spots the AT Gun - once the ATG opens up? Early war ATG's were more easily concealed and had MUCH less muzzle blast. That blast, coupled with the smoke/flash, is what gives the position away. Later ATG's would kick up enoumous dust/dirt clouds. Perhaps that muzzle blast is being modelled? Again, range would be important. Is it opening up at 800m or 200m? Just a few thoughts on what may be going on.)

Maybe we could do with 2 types of foxhole:

a) the current obvious sandbagged version. (Better protection, easier detection)

B) an earth walled/camouflaged version. (Worse protection, harder detection)

Also, why can't the foxholes and the trenches actually deform the terrain - like craters?

Also, why can't the foxholes and the trenches actually deform the terrain - like craters?

This is due to some limitations in the game engine. Once the terrain is deformed then it becomes part of the map and is not subject to FOW. Only objects that sit on top of the map can be subject to FOW so this is why you have foxholes that look like earth pimples.

It would be great if BFC could fix this in the next major release but I suspect this behavior is too deeply rooted in the engine code and would require a significant amount of work to fix ...

I'm wondering if the engine allows to place units below surface without changing the terrain?

I would prefer trenches, foxholes or pits painted as a flat dark areas on the surface instead of a 3D-model if would allow to model dug in units.

Yes units can be placed below the surface and this is the way it works in CMSF but this means that foxholes and trneches are part of the map and are always visible.

With CMBN everyone wanted foxholes and trenches to conform to FOW rules and remain hidden until spotted so BFC made them 3d models ....

Yes units can be placed below the surface and this is the way it works in CMSF but this means that foxholes and trneches are part of the map and are always visible.

Rocky,

i don't understand this. If units can be placed below surface, why are terrain deformations needed?

The idea about placing below surface instead on surface is to leave the terrain untouched -> FOW.