Things left undone, minor bugs, etc

I'm starting this thread too discuss some of the *minor* enhancements and fixes which, imo, ought to be addressed. This is not about Armor Cover Arcs and major features of that nature.

I'll contribute a few:

* The yellow color used on the regular Cover Arc is too opaque. It's difficult to read the underlying terrain. Ditto for the Setup Zones- which can't be turned off.

* Rhino tanks are still reversing through bocage. Also, trucks can back up to a bocage hedge and disembark their cargo on the other side. These exploits have been around since 1.0. Of course, these aren't a game killers and may be trickier to repair than assumed.

*It would be nice not to have formation specific graphics folders without 'shared' content.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they have also fixed the problem with not being able to scroll over the map edge! Now there´s no problem viewing forces near the edge on higher elevations. Or perhaps this was done earlier.

+1 on less opaque cover arc

+1 on heavy tank suspension softness

* proper suspension antics for the vehicles - so Tigers do not rock around like 2000 MTB's

I believe the exaggerated 'rocking' is present in order to give the tanks on more naturalistic feel for the animation scale. If realistic, it would scarcely be noticeable.

One thing I miss from the CM1 series is aircraft shadows. A small, inconsequential piece of chrome but in the absence of actual planes (superfluous) they added atmosphere. AA guns are cool too but they apparently poses modelling challenges although they were prominent as ground weapons in Market Garden.

No "Exit" button when proceeding from one campaign mission to the next. You have no choice but to wait 3-6 minutes for the next scenario to load or to open the task manager and force the game to close. CM: Afghanistan has this button on the screen where you select RT or WeGo, it is also present in CMSF and CMBN on the same screen when starting a stand alone scenario. It's absence between campaign missions is a bit baffling.

Looks like a copy and paste job, couldn't take more than 5 minutes. The code is literally right there in the game already.

* proper suspension antics for the vehicles - so Tigers do not rock around like 2000 MTB's by dieseltaylor

I believe the exaggerated 'rocking' is present in order to give the tanks on more naturalistic feel for the animation scale. If realistic, it would scarcely be noticeable. by Childress

Childress you are right in some way but I do agree more with dieseltaylor.

I for one would be glad if I could only scarcely notice some rocking of a stopping heavy tank. In my opinion the rocking

of all vehicles in general is too extreme. It should only occur in that strong way if a vehicle is stopped from very high speed to zero.

*hunting soldiers still look as if they had "something" in their pants.

(You know what I mean but I don't want to use offensive language here). :)

They're hunting for the latrine.

About the rocking and rolling tanks, although it is obviously exaggerated it really doesn't bother me. I place it at #138 on my list of Things I Want Improved. Stuff that affect game play are more important.

About the rocking and rolling tanks, although it is obviously exaggerated it really doesn't bother me. I place it at #138 on my list of Things I Want Improved. Stuff that affect game play are more important.

Yeah... exactly... what the heck are people complaining about rocking tanks, so they are slightly exagerated.. who cares.

I had the opportunity of seeing a Panther close up and on the move, its about as jerky as it is in game.

I meant the next thing people are going to complain about is why are there no injuries to my units when the tank fires its main gun and infantry are right next to it.. Give me a break.. BF team has done a excellent job.

HA HA HA!!! Good joke! :D

Yes, maybe there are things that you think are more important - why not.

Please keep in mind that this thread is called "things left undone" and even though it is #138 on your list - it is undone. :)

On my list the rocking tanks are among the top 20. ;)

. . . and still no "cover armor" arc.

I have noticed that bridge pathing is much, MUCH better though.

Hopefully they'll have fixed the road bogging bug as well.

I've had some trouble using the mortar carriers in WEGO. I order them to dismount, then I have to wait a full turn before I can order them to deploy. Or, am I missing something?

How do I order them to drive to a point, dismount, face and deploy all in one turn?

Also, without having read any notes, was there a patch applied to the base game along with the new one?

• A Rhino is able to squeeze through a gap in the bocage without widening the gap, which normally only infantry can exploit.

• Heavy forest and light forest texture if the same. If a designer places heavy forest at the bocage base then the bocage in impassable to vehicles. The bocage may be blown but still vehicles may not pass. It’s often difficult to get a proper feel for the heavy or light forest hexes by merely trying to give movement orders to every action spot that is either heavy of light forest.

About the rocking and rolling tanks, although it is obviously exaggerated it really doesn't bother me. I place it at #138 on my list of Things I Want Improved. Stuff that affect game play are more important (..)

(..)Yeah... exactly... what the heck are people complaining about rocking tanks, so they are slightly exagerated.. who cares.

(..)I meant the next thing people are going to complain about is why are there no injuries to my units when the tank fires its main gun and infantry are right next to it.. Give me a break.. BF team has done a excellent job.

I am pretty sure that none of us who asks for these minor tweaks are particulary dissatisfied with Battlefront´s effort and the game as such. Quite the other way around. Speaking for myself, I wouldn´t bother suggesting anything unless it wasn´t for the fact that this is THE ONLY GAME ON THE MARKET THAT COUNTS AND MATTERS. Who wouldn´t like to have reasonable preferences acknowledged in such a situation? Being a cabinet maker myself spending many many hours on a piece of exclusive furniture, for me a few tiny details that for some reason haven´t come off well in the overall finish really is annoying. Usually, it is for customers too. The importance of details are always related to overall result; the better the more conspicious tiny blemishes are, and vice versa.

So, yes, reduced rocking for medium and heavy tanks, please.

+more AI groups (to have less units in a group and be able to separate primary and support units into different groups which can be coordinated by timing or triggers --> below).

+triggers for AI (e.g. trigger the retreat to another defense line, when current line broken - or about to break, or trigger artillery fire, when human reaches a certain area)

+follow unit for movement.

+flavor objects: larger junk piles, more road signs different telegraph poles (made from concrete e.g.), locomotives and waggons. maybe a facility for modders to create NEW flavor objects.

+wrecks: abandoned guns.

* The yellow color used on the regular Cover Arc is too opaque. It's difficult to read the underlying terrain. Ditto for the Setup Zones- which can't be turned off.

Yes !!! ... :D

This drives me crazy ....

Often I have to turn OFF the covered arcs, just to see the ground and if you add more covered arcs with various move points, they layer on top of each other and make it even worse.

At least there should be an ALT key capability to toggle them off momentarily while you examine the ground underneath them ... ;)

Regards,

Doug

Yeah... exactly... what the heck are people complaining about rocking tanks, so they are slightly exagerated.. who cares.

I had the opportunity of seeing a Panther close up and on the move, its about as jerky as it is in game.

I meant the next thing people are going to complain about is why are there no injuries to my units when the tank fires its main gun and infantry are right next to it.. Give me a break.. BF team has done a excellent job.

There are plenty of videos on the net showing WW2 vehicles moving and they certainly are not as sprung as in game. I cannot say I have checked every vehicle but certainly the Tiger does not rock when firing or stopping.

BF have claimed for realism, and spent plenty of time on wallpaper and milestones to add a believability factor. You would think vehicle movement would have been more important.

Can I recommend Bovington Tankfest for plenty of tank movement action for those who require their own eye evidence

http://www.tankmuseum.org/ixbin/indexplus?record=ART3153

Regarding your point about infantry injuries, valid point but more to do within front of the muzzle : ). APDS could be lethal for hundreds of yards and had a dispersion factor of 6 degrees. Going deaf could also be a drawback for an infantry man.