New file at the Repository: Mord's British Commandos Mod (2012-03-07)

Thanks, Alex.

Not sure what you mean, though.

Do you mean the white backgrounds I added labeled "us_helmet_m1"?

EDITED: I think I might know what you mean and the problem stems from the second mdr which is a code for the chin strap. To make a complicated explanation short I needed the mders to be aimed at separate textures or it wouldn't work right.

Mord.

This is excellent Mord! Thanks a lot...

But why call it British Commandos while they actually are the Red Devils?

I now expect, if you please, the actual green beret commandos!

;)

Probably because I am a moron and was up most of the night going crazy. LOL. I always thought of those Red Devil guys as Commandos for some reason. Red Devil Mod would've sounded cooler! Get me a texture/color and I may be able to make that happen.

Mord.

That would be super! I still have to check the CW OB: would it be possible to apply the green beret to some specific troops? Not the Airborne ones?

Later in war the Commandos actually used almost the same equipment and uniforms of the Paras (Dennison smokes, Sten guns, etc.) but in Normandy I believe they were equipped with the common Army issues (except the SAS that already had the Paras' but Green Berets!)...

Sorry, bad expressed.

What I mean:

Take the mdr from the uk-airborne as placeholder (rename it to the uk-chin-blabla).

The associating bmp renaming in this file with a hexeditor (e.g. to uk-airborne-heemet) and then copy your empty bmp's with this name.

Isuggest additional to copy the lods from the crew-beret (I am not sure, but I have the impression it looks better).

So it is possible to use us-troops and uk-airborne together.

I hope this was understandable...bad einglish like always ;-)

greetings, alex

That would be super! I still have to check the CW OB: would it be possible to apply the green beret to some specific troops? Not the Airborne ones?

Later in war the Commandos actually used almost the same equipment and uniforms of the Paras (Dennison smokes, Sten guns, etc.) but in Normandy I believe they were equipped with the common Army issues (except the SAS that already had the Paras' but Green Berets!)...

It's possible. One could put the beret on any of the models. I don't know how much I can do...the big part for me will be getting the beret green...I am not real good with coloring textures.

Sorry, bad expressed.

What I mean:

Take the mdr from the uk-airborne as placeholder (rename it to the uk-chin-blabla).

The associating bmp renaming in this file with a hexeditor (e.g. to uk-airborne-heemet) and then copy your empty bmp's with this name.

Isuggest additional to copy the lods from the crew-beret (I am not sure, but I have the impression it looks better).

So it is possible to use us-troops and uk-airborne together.

I hope this was understandable...bad einglish like always ;-)

greetings, alex

Your English is better than my German, so no worries.

I tried to Hex edit the names but wasn't sure what I was doing and it kept crashing the game so this was the best I could come up with. I couldn't use the crew berets, with the way I did the mod 'cause you wouldn't be able to have any Brit tanks or vehicles mixed in with the paras...the crews would be missing their hats. I used the m1 helmet 'cause I figured nobody would be playing with both the Brit paras and US Infantry during the same battle...You can mix all other allied forces including US airborne with this mod, though.

I'll think on what you said and see if I can come up with something. My brain is fried right now and I need to sleep for a bit.

Mord.

Mord, we need to talk when you are rested. I recall Hex editing from CMSF(???) or was it IL2 but anyway, it confused and confuses me. I want to understand the mdrs more too, because it appears from this release, that uniforms are going to get more complicated as more modules are added.

Hi Mord,

sorry if I confused you...I am a bad explainer.

If you edit the original-file (uk-airborne-helmet...mdr) with a hexeditor only substitute a letter for an other (e.g. uk-airborne-helmet to ak-airborne-helmet (I took the expression at the middle of the file, not this one at the beginning)). This works (I tried it).

And I meant only to take the lod-files from the crew-berets (then the edges look better).

I only understand this because Ryujin explained it to me. He is the real genius with this things.

Greetings, alex

Eh? Didn't the SAS use sand coloured berets in WWII?

My mistake! Yes, the SAS had the sand beret in North Africa and Italy as well as the tankers black, but later on they adopted the red/maroon (paratroopers') one in the ETO (actually they were ordered to use the AB one), even if some veterans still kept their sand ones.

Only in 1957 the SAS officially adopted the beige one.

Hi Mord,

sorry if I confused you...I am a bad explainer.

If you edit the original-file (uk-airborne-helmet...mdr) with a hexeditor only substitute a letter for an other (e.g. uk-airborne-helmet to ak-airborne-helmet (I took the expression at the middle of the file, not this one at the beginning)). This works (I tried it).

And I meant only to take the lod-files from the crew-berets (then the edges look better).

I only understand this because Ryujin explained it to me. He is the real genius with this things.

Greetings, alex

AH, yeah, yeah, yeah! I did that with some help from Detrich for my Syrian Combatant mod that mixes the spies with the combatants...Yeah, I could NOT remember how I did that! I will go back and try that see if I can get it to work that way.

LOL this was a complete FUBAR way of doing what I did...I'll see what I can come up with, my man!

I did up a quick recolour but couldn't post it here.

I stuck it in the repository.

PHEW! Thanks brother, I am not very good at texturing...appreciated!

Now I see what you mean: this MOD will take the US soldiers helmets out! Sure it would be better if only the British paratroopers could be affected, and even better if just some of them! Are there more than one paratrooper's helmet? (i.e. one with netting and another without?)

Yeah, there's two helmets. I'll see what I can do about fixing some stuff.

Mord.

Mord, as I mentioned on another thread, I tried to simply add several Brit Para helmet bmps that I modded directly into your mod. LOL, I'll have to take a picture. Some helmemts showed up OK. No berets showed up at all, but several helmets were all maroon with the Para wings on the side.

They looked rather fetching!

So, I now see what using the US helmet mdr does. I putzed with various mdrs, but never could get the berets and the helmets to show up together in-game.

Yeah, sorry I was gonna post in that thread as well. Same happened to me... I either get all red berets, regular helmets, or red and green helmets. I cannot get the green beret to even show even if I take out the red ones. I've attacked this from every angle and the only way I can get it to work is by this weird work around. I think somehow the code isn't loading the beret I included in the mod...I think it's looking to the original beret bmp that would be in the 1.10 Commonwealth BRZ. It makes my brain cry, itch and puke...all at the same time.

Mord.