YESSS!!! Strategic Command WW2 Global Conflict GOLD v1.01 is HERE!!!

HoI 1 & II were completely engrossing for about a week as you figured it out. After you win the big campaign a couple times, its easy to put it down and forget. HoI III looks like the same engine, undoubtedly polished more, but I'd be surprised if it played any differently.

HoI 1 & II were completely engrossing for about a week as you figured it out. After you win the big campaign a couple times, its easy to put it down and forget. HoI III looks like the same engine, undoubtedly polished more, but I'd be surprised if it played any differently.

IMHO Hoi3 is not nearly as good as Hoi2. They increased the number of provinces with the intention to allow for more mobile warfare (harder to establish a solid front), but it just effectively means that you have too many units to control over too many places, so you must rely on the assisting AI to handle the fronts for you. So you end up watching the computer play itself, what is the point in that??

They also did away with the old events, which is a bummer. There is something similar to it, but it requires you to consult the manual which I find to be an inferior way.

The Strategic Command games are great. They're not very similar to either War in the East or Hearts of Iron. I'd say SC is in the middle ground between Hearts of Iron, Panzer General and Axis & Allies, if that makes any sense - you will have to try out the demos to see what I mean.

IMHO Hoi3 is not nearly as good as Hoi2. They increased the number of provinces with the intention to allow for more mobile warfare (harder to establish a solid front), but it just effectively means that you have too many units to control over too many places, so you must rely on the assisting AI to handle the fronts for you. So you end up watching the computer play itself, what is the point in that??

They also did away with the old events, which is a bummer. There is something similar to it, but it requires you to consult the manual which I find to be an inferior way.

The Strategic Command games are great. They're not very similar to either War in the East or Hearts of Iron. I'd say SC is in the middle ground between Hearts of Iron, Panzer General and Axis & Allies, if that makes any sense - you will have to try out the demos to see what I mean.

I agree... however in the end I would much rather play SC games then that of HOI, they were often too buggy, maybe with the latest patches not, but I was tired of things just bugging out. I understand the HOI concept, but when attacking Russia, and defending the west, and Middle East it was just crazy to keep up with all the Battles in real time. Anyways they were good, but I can enjoy SC GOLD now... lots of fun. Plus being able to edit your units etc, and the detail they have put into it is awesome.. its like Axis and Allies but way better.... although I do like a nice game of Axis and ALlies everynow and then.

How does SCGC compare with HOI3, or Grigsby's Pacific War games?

Am also confused that there is "SC Global Conflict" and then there are European and Pacific modules. Are the modules more detailed stand-alone versions?

I found HOI III + Add ons much more in depth. SCGC is more of a beer and pretzel wargame. The MP options were not the best either IMHO. Good game but not the best for grand strategic warfare.

Did you ever play a MP game? Say 8 players? The Ai is well the AI!

:)

I played the demo of SCGS, but it just doesn't have the verisimilitude of Grigsby's East Front and Pacific War games... you know... like Panzer General (recently rereleased under a new name) SCGS is one unit per hex regardless, that sort of abstraction.

I do like the economic and tech development aspect. But, it's much more complex than (say) TOTAL WAR - ROME with less entertainment payoff imo.