Respository search problem

rocketman

You could say the same about Google's search results ;)

That's a problem with ANY collection of files that exceeds a certain size. Granted, the Repository isn't offering the best interface that is possible, but it does its job, and the search function is pretty good overall.

But if you really want to make sure you don't miss a mod, you'll have to go browse through the categories page by page. That's simply how it is with search results.

lets stay on the ground here and not pack something ugly with nice paper. moon, you remember old CMMODS site? the new greenasjade´s CMMODS site? that is how you present large volumes of search results.

since the BFC site layout change the quality of browsing was reduced in my view. the theme is overly complex and the entries in the repository are simply to big and black/orange...i mean who thought that up? no insult here but rly?

well after i re read this i have to say i could have worded this a bit more sensible, however what i meant holds still true, you cant deny the convinience with which this two mentioned sites display search results. the repository is fine and i am in fact glad its here, but its just awkward to some degree ;)

sorry for me going berzerk on the keyboard there, but i can admit failure and you guys should admit that the repository is maybe not the best out there.

greetings

I have to agree, the Repository is a pain from which to download; why do I continually have to accept the agreement, for instance? Unfortunately, not all modders seem to know about GaJ's CMMODS site.

Very annoying way to get our mods. Once you have signed up and accepted the agreement that should be the last time in my opinion. Having said that I am glad the repository is there.

I agree with Pandur and mjkerner. I have often tried to find files, that I knew was in the repository - with no luck, even if I have known the name of the author.

I´m sorry to say, that I find the repository extremely frustrating and user unfriendly.

And I am actually pretty good as searching databases in general.

I have a question that is sort of along these lines and didn't want to start another thread.

I am new to the mods in this game. Are there any "mod packs" that combine some of the best mods into one group for easy install versus the one mod at a time install? A good example would be all the Aris mods together.

one pack for german vehicles and terrain is usually in a pack. i dont have much overview of CMBN mods as i got the game not long ago, but it was not common for CMSF mods and i have only seen this one vehicles pack for CMBN.

but i personally like to mix and match, i dont care so much bout packs or not.

CMx1 had quiet some packs, but lots more mods, you kinda needed packs there

lets stay on the ground here and not pack something ugly with nice paper. moon, you remember old CMMODS site? the new greenasjade´s CMMODS site? that is how you present large volumes of search results.

since the BFC site layout change the quality of browsing was reduced in my view. the theme is overly complex and the entries in the repository are simply to big and black/orange...i mean who thought that up? no insult here but rly?

We never had anything to do with the CMMODS sites, so I am not sure how you are comparing the quality of browsing between the two.

The Repository we're using is a component coded by a third party. It is what it is and integrates well with the rest of the site. It's not going to change anytime soon (or perhaps anytime). Use it (for free) or leave it :)

Having said that, I never have problems finding anything. (On the other hand, I had terrible problems finding anything on the old CMMODS site. :)) Searching by author is the most difficult way to do it for the reasons explained in the FAQ/Helpdesk, because you may not know the actual AUTHOR name (which may also be different from the UPLOADER name). Search for keywords and you will usually find what you need.

Martin

Very annoying way to get our mods. Once you have signed up and accepted the agreement that should be the last time in my opinion. Having said that I am glad the repository is there.

The agreement can be different for each file because mod authors can change the default agreement if they wish to, so you have to sign it for every file you download.

• 1 year later...

I have been trying to use the "Search" function with the Repository. It appears that, whatever search criteria you enter, it only returns at most 10 results. That is really lame. Don't the coders at the third party who coded it know how to return more than one page of results? Or, more than 10 results per page?