Why can't my tank shoot at a gun behind sandbags?

It looks like your M8 needs one more meter of elevation.

All hail whoever made that map. :) The indentation, coupled with the sandbags, gives the ATG the perfect 'dead zone' to live in.

I will bet you your M8 that the best elevation to hit the gun is right in the sweet spot for the gun to kill you.

Quick forward two tiles...

Pop smoke at endpoint...

REVERSE to old spot ...

After one turn you should be able to slow or hunt through the smoke to shoot-n-scoot the gun.

-

But if my m8 can see the gun (most of the gun is above the sandbags) and the gun barrel above the sandbags can shoot, why can't my m8 shoot back?

If there's infantry on both sides of a stone wall, infantry can shoot at each other.

Why is it different if you replace the wall with sandbags and soldiers with guns?

Maybe because the sandbags in the game are only there to show that there are sandbags there ;) but not as they visually are on the screenshot, but really protecting the AT gun. It is a design "problem" I think, because it would be very difficult (?) to have each gun / machine gun... with its own visually adapted sandbags, don't you think? So you can see that all sandbags have the same looking, whatever the guys / guns / tank behind. Let's hope German and US soldiers did not say: ok, we have the regulatory height, we can stop this sandbags wall now...

Question may have to do with where the LOS is drawn from. Assuming that gun itself is level, the viewing angle has an upward slope. Without more information it is hard to say if the issue is the sandbags or the position it is being viewed from. Even with that LOS and LOF are two distinctly different things.

Incidentally is the 1st sect HQ commander's name spoken with a lisp? Is that guy really related to the SF Giants pitcher?

Maybe it is like jbmtintin wrote: that the game thinks sandbags are higher than what you see. m8's gun is just tad too low. Still I think it's weird I can't target the gun, because plenty of the gun *must* be visible because it can fire over the bags. Just think how infantry and walls are modeled.

Now you can't target sandbags at all. I think it would be nice if you could, the same way as bunkers and buildings. Then you could ruin the cover and the gun behind it would lose its protection.

Its an elevation issue, as your 50Cal is firing at the 88mm Gun, see red line and look at bottom left of screen Commander - Firing... You need to move you M8 forward or you can fire at the action spot in front of the gun and hope that the HE does some damage...So it is not an issue at all... just elevation, this happens a lot to me especially with 'taller' vehicles... Commander can see, gunner cant...

No game has successfully managed the semi indirect tank shot. Yet in RL I've heard of tankers firing at exaust smoke behind a burm, and on WW2 documentries heard accounts of trying to shoot at tanks that reversed from a hull down position. I am not sure if this is possible, or if so, how successful, maybe the tankers could eleborate on this.

But if my m8 can see the gun (most of the gun is above the sandbags) and the gun barrel above the sandbags can shoot, why can't my m8 shoot back?

If there's infantry on both sides of a stone wall, infantry can shoot at each other.

Why is it different if you replace the wall with sandbags and soldiers with guns?

If the gun can shoot at you and your unit has spotted it it then you should be able to shoot back. It's a pretty old military saying, Line of Fire works both ways.

Looking at the pic I guess the game treats the gun as infantry and the stance of the whole thing is determined by the crew. So the crew going heads down would have the men behind the sandbags with no LOF, if they had no gun. The game seems to extent this behavior to the gun, that means it simply treats the whole combo of gun+crews as having gone down safely behind the sandbangs.

It's shouldn't be able to shoot back this way, though.

If the gun can shoot at you and your unit has spotted it it then you should be able to shoot back. It's a pretty old military saying, Line of Fire works both ways.

It's shouldn't be able to shoot back this way, though.

If you are spotting from the TC and your main gun is blocked that doesn't hold true. That is the suspicion here, the upward angle from the M8 is likely creating a crest and the main gun can't see the target. Supposition, but with what little we have evident in the pic it does appear to be the case.

What would be interesting is to see where that 88 hits the M8. If it's a hull hit something ain't quite right. If on the other hand it takes off the TCs head, well that'll teach him to poke his head up to check out an 88.