WW2..?

Originally posted by Sergei:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by kipanderson:

PS. Massive potential in a modern setting for making Battlefront lots of dosh. If they get a modern setting right they could attract large numbers of more casual gamers. Their $50 is worth just as much at that of Battlefront’s more hard-core fans such as us ;) .

Eh, no. WW2 is guaranteeably (???) less risky choice than some post-WW2 or fictional conflict. Just look at how much money SPR and BoB brought to Spielberg & Co. </font>

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by dangerousdave:

I guess the reason it is necessary to be so "mysterious" about this is because of the competition. Of course, I'm sure the competition is hoping it is something like Korea or Vietnam, or any non-WWII setting.

I don't think that anyone thought the WWII 3D gaming niche was worth plumbing back in 1997 or so, but the BFC guys dipped their big toe in anyway and found that niche quite deep indeed.

So respectfully, how would I, or you, or anyone like us, know what the potential is for a modern 3D battlefield simulation with CM's combo of game and simulation?

-dale

Remember though, the Modules will all be close in subject matter to the main release. That means if we released a contemporary setting the Modules would all be contemporary. Main game WWII ETO, Modules all WWII ETO. So it is the main releases that are important. In fact, even we aren't really thinking about Modules at this time. Sure, we've got ideas, but we're going to wait and see what happens with the initial releases to map out what the Modules are.

Steve

How many "Normandy" games do we need? D-Day might be a subset of the game, but an entire game on one battle!! Ludicrous and unimaganitive. I dont have $50 + to spend on such a game or on a modern game. If you like ambushes and steath and rag-heads planting mines on public rights-of-way etc. report to the local insane asylulm. Just my opinion. TAG

Originally posted by Pzman:

That does sound good, but it all depends on the time period that BFC is looking to cover. Steve has noted that they might do things ranging in size from Battle of the Bulge, all the way down to the battle of St.Lo. Very small scale for the latter.

By that logic, a US Airborne game might be the entire 101st Airborne Division - or just the fight for Carentan. Lots of options in Normandy alone.