• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me or am I the only one who still thinks the scare is too small?

It seems only in Russia will we be able to probably outflank and even then it will be rare.

That was my biggest gripe against SC, the maps are so small you can make lines of troops to cover a whole area.

Then again, HC did say with the editor we will be able to make bigger maps.

HC, could we make the current map "twice" the size?

Given the size of the image, the Polish aircraft which has been identified by Archibald as an I-16 looks just like a PZL P.24b to me. And for those who don't know, that was the mainstay of the Polish light bomber and reconaissance squadrons, so I see no need to change it.

Originally posted by Blashy:

Is it just me or am I the only one who still thinks the scare is too small?

It seems only in Russia will we be able to probably outflank and even then it will be rare.

That was my biggest gripe against SC, the maps are so small you can make lines of troops to cover a whole area.

As shown in the comparison maps above, the scale is very similar to COS. And in that title, it was very possible to encircle and outflank units. The keys are (1) the scale of the units and how many appear on the map, and (2) whether attacks can dislodge units while movement is still permitted. Personally, I really like the COS system whereby attacks are performed and resolved during the movement phase and can cause units to retreat, allowing the creation of holes in the line that reserve units can then breach. That combined with the hex control system that assigns ownership to the nearest unit rather than the last to traverse (replicating advance units attached to the army) creates a pretty dynamic environment. Anyway, the scale isn't bad - the rules just need to allow the fluidity and IMO there is a reference game that did a pretty nice job of exactly that.

On the mark, John C.

As you have already expressed and as many of us concur, the use of unit action points should have the dynamics of choice. Move then attack or vice versa, or some combination of the two.

Probably the single most important feature for a game of this scale.

SeaMonkey and John C.

Some mechanism where you can create a breach and exploit it, the keystone of the Blitzkreig concept. The only way to defeat it is with Defense in Depth, as the Soviets proved at Kursk.

Unfortunately, there's no way of doing anything along the lines of breakthrough and exploitation in SC1.

Both HiCom and CoS had versions of this. In HiCom the stack or single unit continued moving, attempting to complete it's mission. In CoS there was the combined attack and the same units could attack individually with other units able to move through the cleared area (I'm fuzzy on this, haven't played that game in years, but I think that's how it worked. And then the biMonthly turns were set up as phases, which also helped -- two months (one turn) of HiCom often saw a lot more action than two months (two turns) of SC.

Originally posted by Bill101:

Given the size of the image, the Polish aircraft which has been identified by Archibald as an I-16 looks just like a PZL P.24b to me. And for those who don't know, that was the mainstay of the Polish light bomber and reconaissance squadrons, so I see no need to change it.

Er... No. The PZL P.24 was a gull-wing monoplane:

p24.jpg

The aircraft in the SCII screenshot is a low wing monoplane, like one of these:

i-16-1.jpg

A private venture by PZL, the P.24 was basically an improved P.11 . The Polish Air Force never took it into service, but it was exported to Turkey, Rumania, Bulgaria and Greece.

The most numerous aircraft in Polish service in 1939 was the PZL P.23, which is probably the plane you're thinking of.

heller_p-23-karas.jpg

This looks nothing like the picture in the screenshot however, which is of a single seat aircraft.

[ June 11, 2005, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: Archibald ]

"And then the biMonthly turns were set up as phases, which also helped -- two months (one turn) of HiCom often saw a lot more action than two months (two turns) of SC."

Perfectly exemplified JJ. In the context of an SC turn, 1 week to 1 month, is more than enough time for WW2 combat formations to embroil themselves in all types of military maneuvers and repeating such maneuvers more than once I might add.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm willing to wait for however long it takes HC to rewrite the SC2 code to include such game mechanics.

So what's the alternative....SC3?

Rambo, I've done the best I can to help you out, but you don't seem to get it. I know WaW won't fulfill your IP need till its been activated, but I've told you about HttR.

Look up my buddy, Yakstock. He'll give you a good head crackin, drum you like a stepchild. Like our Spurs did to them Pistons.

Face it, there ain't nuthin out there like SC.

Maybe you'd like some real life action, with real life and death melodrama. Run down here to the Gulfcoast and ride this Arlene swell with me, we'll be doin an early mornin paddle out. Real life threatening mountains of H2O.

It'll give you some perspective, some real adrenalin pumping, you'll feel really alive, that is if you survive.

All other games will seem....how should i put it...insignificant. A true life adventure, the struggle of life and death, to capture nature's awesome power and manipulate it for your own deviant pleasure.

@SeaMonkey --- Dude, Florida sucks. I did quite a bit of sales there. Jax, Tampa, Orlando, etc. You name it, been there. I did like the golfing, Disney, & the winter weather....beside that, not much to mention. So you live on the West Coast? I liked those batting cages on the Clearwater Causeway smile.gif The only batting cages where there is no cage! I could actually admire my long shots!

Archibald - LOL, yes you're right. I don't know why I wrote P.24 as I definitely meant the P.23!!

Looking closer I can see that it is a single seater, but being as short sighted as I am I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out. Perhaps it's time to have my eyes tested again... smile.gif

"So you live on the West Coast?"

Not in the least, the east coast...and Florida's OK to visit.

Hint.....(Like our Spurs did to them Pistons.)

Our home is "The Republic of Texas", Corpus Christi area.

Far as I'm concerned we should've staid as our own Nation, I'm supporting secession.

In fact that will be my first SC2 custom scenario.

"Rescue the Alamo".... tongue.gif

[ June 14, 2005, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: SeaMonkey ]

Last post in the Beta forum 07.06.05. Hmmm, nothing to discuss tongue.gif ?

Jokes aside. Yes I am willing to wait as long as it takes for the game. What worries me is that there is still no fixed date. Even if they were rumors for late 2004, moved to 2nd quartr 2005 etc.

No AArs , no comment of the stage of the game , no new screenshots. I know that Hubert is a one peron team. Heck announce release 2nd quarter 2006, tell us the names of your beta testers like pzgdnr, Liam Terif or whatever though we know there are really veterans playtesting. Drop in from time to time a screenshot and lets the betatesters babble how great the game is. Then I would be at least happy.

Right now visiting the SC2 forum is boriiiiiiinnnnnng. I am a fan of SC1 and will preorder SC2 as soon as it will be avaible. But please give us something to sing about.

[ June 13, 2005, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: Sombra ]

• 3 weeks later...

mus to learn many of u still have... tongue.gif

patience

im sure hubert is workin as fast/best he can under the circumstances

better to be taking a while longer than rush the development

patience young padawans....

quicker, easier it would be to simply release the game, or a demo, but wise it would not be

come the time will,for release

patience young ones....

I have games that are 5 to 10 years old...and i enjoy some of them much more than many newer games.

Why???...because, someone had the sense, drive, willpower, and self-sacrifice to make an excellent product!.

As i have stated before...im GLAD that more time is needed to complete SC2!. May dust on it never settle for too-long!

Gooooly! This thread has mutated and then some. Hubert does not want to get overwhelmed with comments and input if the AARs are done, that I am assuming. I remembered when SC first came out and it had a lot of holes but it got better as he took in comments from dedicated players. I was the first one to point out in the forum how the allies can headcrack the axis by disbanding their naval forces. Hubert took this gamey play out in his next patch. But I guess that was then and he has new rules to play by. But like I said, this is really tiring!

True, things were a little different back then ;)

Originally SC1 was developed in almost complete obscurity and when we made the original announcement it was already pretty close to completion. That, and not really realizing it at the time, made comments and feedback much easier on my part. It is always a learning experience and this time around, developing SC2 under the public eye has been a unique challenge and probably one of the reasons I *appear* to be less of a participant on the forums.

The good news is that development continues very well, and once we get to that same stage I was in with SC1, expect to see and hear much more from me than what you've seen up to now smile.gif