CMBB INSTALL ISSUES! COME HERE FOR LATEST INFO!!!!

Madmatt

First, I appreciate all the patience people have shown while we get through this issue.

There appears to be a manufactoring fault with some of the PC CD images on CMBB orders placed BEFORE October 4th. The Installer will fail between 85%-99% of the installation procedure. With some CD drives there are no problems at all, with others the installation will fail.

On the PC a failed installation will leave the game partially installed. Normally all the textures are installed along with the majority of sounds. None of the scenarios are installed.

A Mac install failure will usually give a message indicating that a specific file is missing or corrupt.

What we are doing as a temporary fix for the PC users is offering the remaining files for people to download and manually install which should allow them to run the game.

There are three files that you can download.

Two files are sound files and the other file is all the Scenarios and Operations.

The sound files are Polish voices, if you never play with Polish troops you will NOT need to download these files in order to play.

File 00090000to00092000.zip (10 megs)contains all the sounds files from 00090000.wav to 00092000.wav

File 00092001to00094306.zip (11 megs) contains all the sounds files from 00092001.wav to 00094306.wav

Depending on when the installer fails will determine if you need to apply one or both of those files.

EVERYONE that encounters the installation issue will need the Scenarios.zip (1.2 Megs) file.

For Mac users the amount of files left remaining is usually too high to make the files downloadable. Please see below for what we are doing.

HOW TO APPLY THESE FILES.

Unzip the sound files into the WAV folder to install the sound files.

For the Scenarios.zip file you will need to first create a folder in your CMBB directory called "Scenarios", then unzip the contents into that new folder.

CURRENT STATUS:

If you have a bad disk which results in a installation failure (see below if you get CRC errors though), even if the files below work for you, I will need you to email me at matt@battlefront.com Please include your order number (if you have it) or the email address you used when you placed the order. I will add you to the replacement list and reply back with more details.

FILE LINKS

To download the 00090000to00092000.zip click:

ftp://www.battlefront.com/pub/misc/00090000to00092000.zip

To download the 00092001to00094306.zip click:

ftp://www.battlefront.com/pub/misc/00092001to00094306.zip

To Download the Scenarios.zip click:

ftp://www.battlefront.com/pub/misc/Scenarios.zip

We are very sorry for all the inconveince with this. We promise to do everything we can to make this right though.

UPDATED INFO (10-13-2002)

Some people have contacted me with regards to install issues with the CDV version in Europe. Other people with the Battlefront.com version have also emailed me with install errors, but of a slightly different sort.

If you get a "unexpected end of archive" error when the game runs you may NOT have a defective CD. What can cause that is a conflict between a virus check program and games installer.

In order to install the game you should FIRST disable any and all virus check programs. This includes Norton Anti-Virus, McAffe's and all other brands.

Once the install is complete you can re-enable the virus check program as usual.

Also, for CDV customer with problems, you MUST contact CDV Tech Support for assistance, even if you get a insaller failure. We can not provide you with a replacement CD, only CDV can.

To date though, NO CDV CD's have encountered anything remotely similar to the manufactoring defect we saw on a very small amount of our CD's.

Also of importance is that no orders placed after October 4th would have any chance of a CD with a manufacturing issue like that above. We received new stock at that time from a new manufactorer and no old stock has been shipped since.

Again we thank you for your time.

Madmatt

[ October 13, 2002, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted the same problem earlier and with some trial and error and reading the tech forums I found something that works.Make a copy of the game CD from Battlefront. First delete the entire game then reinstall with the new copied CD.I used a different computer to make the copy,though the same one might work.All files present and game listed in startup menu but not listed in Add/Remove(dont know if it should be ) well good luck!

Originally posted by medlinke:

This is a great temporary solution...however...I still would like a CD with a working image, etc.

Thats why this is workaround IS temporary. We will get you guys working CD's but we need to asses the full extent and scope (and root cause) of this issue before we can do that.

For now, at least the majority of people reporting this issue (which thank God still seem the minority of people that have gotten the game) can download the files we have posted and play the game.

Madmatt

It appears that either the install glitch extends to the mac version, or I have terrible luck (I suspect the latter). The installer runs well, but jams at about 95%. The open play files are left uninstalled, and the game won't run. There appears to be a minor imperfection at the very outside edge of my disk, but i don't know if it would be drastic enough to wreck the install. Have any other Mac users had problems with their media?

- Bill

Matt - you are a saint. Okay, maybe not a saint but you're a damn good businessman and grog and all that sort of stuff.

I had the exact same prob with installation - 4 times it quit in the 90000 series of wav files. Just downloaded the scenarios and I'm off and running. I'll check back for info on the replacement disks.

THANKS!!!

Thanks Madmatt.

The workaround is fine for me, I use the original CD for the CD check and a custom compressed file on another CD to actually store the game in case I need to reinstall someday.

BTW, my CD is kinda "milky" on the underside, too, but not directly at the end of the disk, rather in the middle. Since the read error is at the end I don't think it is related.

Sorry but a company "this good" would have the quality control in place to catch this problem before it shipped. I still want a CD that actually WORKS as intended, that's what I paid for. By the way, from the size of these files it looks like I might have them downloaded in about a week. I own Beyond Overlord too and even though I thoroughly enjoyed it I don't think I will be buying any more Battlefront games. :(

[ September 23, 2002, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: Bam65 ]

Originally posted by Bam65:

Sorry but a company "this good" would have the quality control in place to catch this problem before it shipped. I still want a CD that actually WORKS as intended, that's what I paid for.

I don't think you want to speak to Madmatt after he glared at 10,000 CDs, under the pressure that they ship no later than Sep 20th 00:01 hours :D

Seriously, from the reports the majority of CDs is fine, I don't think you can catch this stuff easily without causing major delay and cost.

Well, heck, my CD is dorking too.

Win98SE

PIII 600EB

256 mb RAM

60 gb drive (seperate from OS drive)

Will get you specifics in the AM.

And for all you whiners out there, I kindly request that you to shut yer hole. There's the saying "**** happens", and, yes, it sure does.

The trick is how folks deal with things when **** *does* happen. So far, BFC seems to be on the ball. I can still play the game in it's entirety, and will soon have a replacement CD *at no extra cost* (maybe we'll even get lucky and it'll have the .01 update on it).

Go start a manufacturing operation, run it for a couple of years, then get back to the board and tell us how *everything* *always* went smoothly. We'll be waiting.....

I love the way ignorant people always pull out the word "whiner" when someone gets upset. We as consumers have every right to show our displeasure when we are handed a sub-par product. It's happening way too often in the software industry nowadays. Every game I buy seems to get released with some kind of major problem. Oh yeah, and I actually do run a small manufacturing company and have never had any complaints, so I think you're the one that should shut it.

Originally posted by leakyD:

Well, heck, my CD is dorking too.

Win98SE

PIII 600EB

256 mb RAM

60 gb drive (seperate from OS drive)

Will get you specifics in the AM.

And for all you whiners out there, I kindly request that you to shut yer hole. There's the saying "**** happens", and, yes, it sure does.

The trick is how folks deal with things when **** *does* happen. So far, BFC seems to be on the ball. I can still play the game in it's entirety, and will soon have a replacement CD *at no extra cost* (maybe we'll even get lucky and it'll have the .01 update on it).

Go start a manufacturing operation, run it for a couple of years, then get back to the board and tell us how *everything* *always* went smoothly. We'll be waiting.....

Wow this is GREAT!!! My CD dosen't work!!! Look at me I having a great time! I'm magical man from happyland with gumdrop houses on lollypop lane!

/sarcasm

FU LeakyD. Maybe you should get that leakyd looked at then send me 50 bucks for a shiny coaster.

Yep, "s__t do happen" but with BFC at the helm, at least I'm confident I'll get a fix, and pretty quick at that.

I'll be needing one of those new CD's of CMBB, thank you. The quick fix download files work fine, the game runs OK and that will do me until the replacement disk can be mailed out.

It's not a perfect game, or a perfect company, but I don't live in a perfect world and (blush) I'm far from perfect myself.

As bad as we consumers must feel, I suspect that the folks back in Vermont (or whereeverinheck BFC-ville is) are pretty upset themselves right now. I take a little comfort in that, knowing that they have an investment in doing things right and pride in their product. It will all work out and, anyway, by the time we're playing CM-II in a couple of years, it will all be a laughable memory. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff.

I just came back to say that I got all the .wav files and scenarios downloaded and the game looks great! I started to make my own scenario but I'm running out of time for tonight so that will have to wait. I'm hoping that everything works okay, I didn't get a chance to run a pre-made scenario.

I saw a thread by someone else stating they had trouble with one of the operations which kind worries me since I don't have a high-end system. But in any case, it looks fantastic and the interface appears to be the same top-notch one that was in CMBO with a few changes.

Don't get too down on us people getting upset about the glitches. Look at it this way, we expect a lot from Battlefront because CMBO was so damn good. That's why we get a little bent out of shape at something like this, or at least why I do. Not to mention the fact that like I stated before, a lot of games seem to be getting released with bugs/ and or other problems and it gets old after awhile.

Quote: (Look at me I having a great time! I'm magical man from happyland with gumdrop houses on lollypop lane!)

LMAO! Thanks for that Joeski, I needed a good laugh. That's from an episode of the Simpson's right? :D

[ September 24, 2002, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: Bam65 ]