Jump to content
Jace11

Para Berets

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, Jace11 said:

A little experiment, not realistic but kinda fun.

+1  Very cool.  I have a scenario I'm working on for CMFI.  I hope to release said scenario after the Rome to Victory module.  I would like to try this mod in the scenario.  Which troops does the mod effect?  Does it replace the headgear of all commonwealth forces? 

Please release the mod when/if you are satisfied with it.  Looks very good from the screenshot.         

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was just an experiment to see if the berets on vehicle crews could work on airborne. It doesn't affect the crews - I've tested this and it seems fine. Ironed out a few problems last night - a glitchy switching back and forth between helmet and beret models when clicking on a unit - but I believe this is fixed now (I had missed a whole set of lod files).

I've only tested it in CMFI:GL so far, it will probably affect Polish airborne in CMBN. I haven't tried a mod tag with it but I want to test this too. Unsure if mod tags work with models as they do with textures, but if they do, perhaps you could enable it with a [beret] mod tag. I'm also considering the color. I will take some time to make certain its all good before I upload it to CMMods but in the meantime if you're interested i've uploaded it here: British Para Berets

Despite all the things I've just mentioned, it seems to work fine now, but let me know if you have any problems.

Edited by Jace11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Jace11 said:

I will take some time to make certain its all good before I upload it to CMMods but in the meantime if you're interested i've uploaded it here: British Para Berets

Despite all the things I've just mentioned, it seems to work fine now, but let me know if you have any problems.

Got it!!!  Wow, this is pretty cool.  I will play around with it in the scenario and if I come across any problems I'll let you know.  Your mod combined with @Oliver_88 mod (removes British formation marking) is making for some cool looking mercenary types in the fictional scenario  (along the lines of 5 commando in the Congo).  Thanks again for sharing this.  When I get the scenario released (probably a month or two after Rome to Victory is released) I will credit you and Oliver 88 in the scenario Designer Notes.  Very cool look with the berets!   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd quite like to see if it I can get it working in CMSF, but I'd have to buy it first. I might try it for the CMSF2 demo when it drops. Shouldn't be too hard now I know how. 

Edited by Jace11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

making for some cool looking mercenary types in the fictional scenario  (along the lines of 5 commando in the Congo). 

Ooooh yes, that would be v cool!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, pretty much was a case of looking at the russian cap mod and working out the swap. It was a while ago now and I don't remember entirely. Think some hex editing was necessary - not sure. Also after making my own texture basically from scratch, I actually found that there is a para beret in one of the Normandy archives. That's why the one in the screenshot has a different badge. The one in the archives had a more detailed cap badge, but it's wings were slightly skewed. Never got round to fixing it.

 

So after a quick look at it, I think the general process was to take the models (all lods) of the vehicle crew berets and rename them to smod_british_helmet-para*lod* etc. Each file had to be hex edited to redirected it to the new texture. This is at the start of each file - a texture name. There is model name in each file too about half way down, smod_british_beret-para, can't remember why I did this, probably the new set of models required a unique name to work. Pretty sure I didn't add any bytes to files, just chose new names of same length to avoid any checksum issues.

Edited by Jace11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you sure, that you hex edeited the models? I think I didn't do such things with the berets. Simply renamed the beret-texture to the fitting helmet-texture...

 

But it is long time ago....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think so, because the original files had the vehicle beret texture name, without this, my mod would have resulted in black vehicle berets. That was the model I ported over. So I made a new texture and hex edited the file. I'll double check though, I'll have to extract the vehicle crew berets and do a hex compare between the vehicle beret model and the para beret.

 

It may be you didn't have to do that because the model you ported over named the texture you wanted already. In my case I wanted to keep the vehicle berets as they were and add a new one for the para's.

 

So I did a quick check and they were hex edited, also my edited versions are a couple of bytes bigger so that thing about not adding bytes can be discounted. i.e there was no checksum evidently.

Edited by Jace11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm...I can't check it at the moment, but I am relativly sure that my vehicle-berets are still black.

What I did:

- Copied and renamend the beret-model-files to the naming of the helmet-model-files

- Renamend the (red) berets to the helmet-texture namens.

 

I don't think, that the textures are binded to the models within the model-files (exepted the personal eqipement).

 

But I have to check at home, maybe there was a change and my berets don't work any longer...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah i think you're right, my hex edits don't match the texture names so its by filename, not names inside the file. I do remember running into a problem where the helmet model would appear briefly when I clicked on unit, then the beret would return. I remember spending ages trying to fix it, the hex edits may be for that. Maybe they were completely unnecessary too. I can't remember...

 

 

So I basically just tried making it again without hex editing anything, and it all works fine, so you're probably right. It was likely done while trying to solve the glitching I had, but that was down to some missing lods. Unique names for parts of a 3d model probably won't do any harm though. I've been using it and not had any issues.

Edited by Jace11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think several people have done similar, simply by renaming files like waffleman did.  I know I did, and I think kohlenklau did one that way as well.  But since it replaces all helmets, it just didn't look right and i never used it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your enlightenment guys.
 
Thinking out loud here, what about tags? If it's used for example on para helmets and tagged, it could be loaded deliberately? 

Subsequent question : does the tags works on models?

Edited by CMFDR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, It looks like it does.

I meant to test it a while back but never got round to it.  It seems to work which is surprising seeing at it uses tagged models, I thought only textures worked.  I just made a mission in the editor and added the tag - went to 3D deploy - got berets, then removed the tag - went to deploy - got helmets....

Try it and see, wont work if you have the original mod installed though... remove that first...

 

tagged berets... using a mod tag (tag included in the zip for importing to scenarios)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OXXCzzzXA2GW1G-5GrrJsF9l5ll2KGjN

Useful but you won't get them in quick missions and such... unless the QM map has the tag.

Tagging models opens a few other doors I expect.. hmmm....

Someone probably spotted this before, but what would you use it on...? Vehicles, uniforms... buildings, weapons...?

Edited by Jace11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:58 PM, MOS:96B2P said:

Got it!!!  Wow, this is pretty cool.  I will play around with it in the scenario and if I come across any problems I'll let you know.  Your mod combined with @Oliver_88 mod (removes British formation marking) is making for some cool looking mercenary types in the fictional scenario  (along the lines of 5 commando in the Congo).  Thanks again for sharing this.  When I get the scenario released (probably a month or two after Rome to Victory is released) I will credit you and Oliver 88 in the scenario Designer Notes.  Very cool look with the berets!   

Ello, ello.....Wot's all this then?  ;)

MV5BMWY1MDlmMmMtZTVkZS00MTY0LThkMjEtODlj

By any chance?  :P

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jace11 said:

Yes, It looks like it does.

I meant to test it a while back but never got round to it.  It seems to work which is surprising seeing at it uses tagged models, I thought only textures worked.  I just made a mission in the editor and added the tag - went to 3D deploy - got berets, then removed the tag - went to deploy - got helmets....

Try it and see, wont work if you have the original mod installed though... remove that first...

 

tagged berets... using a mod tag (tag included in the zip for importing to scenarios)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OXXCzzzXA2GW1G-5GrrJsF9l5ll2KGjN

Useful but you won't get them in quick missions and such... unless the QM map has the tag.

Tagging models opens a few other doors I expect.. hmmm....

Someone probably spotted this before, but what would you use it on...? Vehicles, uniforms... buildings, weapons...?

Add that to the new models some genius were able to introduce ingame it is giving my brain a boner ;) 
Everything but the TOE is, respectfully, open.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Ello, ello.....Wot's all this then?  ;)

MV5BMWY1MDlmMmMtZTVkZS00MTY0LThkMjEtODlj

By any chance?  :P

 

:ph34r:   Well ................. Waiting on Rome to Victory and have to get Coup de'tat out the door.  But it will eventually get finished.

KVnrwAhh.jpg

hWevAi5h.jpg

Edited by MOS:96B2P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×