New features curiosity

3 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

The problem I see with changing this is that it would make the game almost unplayable as the player would not be able to see where to move his units or where to have them fire. You'd have to be really gung-ho to want to play under those conditions and BFC has to be able to sell games to players who don't play with a trench knife clenched in their teeth.

Michael

You just enable extra night brightness (alt+B). That's what I think most people would do anyway, when playing night missions.

5 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

The problem I see with changing this is that it would make the game almost unplayable as the player would not be able to see where to move his units or where to have them fire. 

The way I pitched it to Steve was to have it work a bit like smoke a toggle. You could have it on full so you see as poorly as your men would, and thus be hard to issue orders but have an idea of how dark / foggy it is. Or toggle it to how it is now where you can tell it is night / foggy but you can see way better then IRL and thus issue orders etc.

16 minutes ago, IanL said:

The way I pitched it to Steve was to have it work a bit like smoke a toggle. You could have it on full so you see as poorly as your men would, and thus be hard to issue orders but have an idea of how dark / foggy it is. Or toggle it to how it is now where you can tell it is night / foggy but you can see way better then IRL and thus issue orders etc.

Sounds very sensible. We can already toggle trees and smoke, so would be nice to add:

Toggle darkness

Toggle weather (fog, rain, snow)

8 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

More likely you were confusing what has been wished for with what has been promised. You are not the first and certainly not the only one to do that.

Michael

Have definitely played Poland 1939.  Probably one of the earlier WW2 top down 2D games (SPWW2?) that CM1 replaced on my HD. 

5 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

You just enable extra night brightness (alt+B). That's what I think most people would do anyway, when playing night missions.

Have always thought it ironic that we have many night scenarios where one has to alt-b plus turn the monitor gain up so that we have a weird "daylight" in order to see to play (and the wonderful game graphics now look like crap).  Never understood the point.  Stick with daylight scenarios imo.

6 hours ago, 3j2m7 said:

I think most of us are agree with existing animations but it will be nice to have some news...

What do you think about?

Some new animations would really freshen up the feel of the graphics. I am all for it.

Mord.

3 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

How I should have gotten laid a lot more as a young man.

Michael

Premarital sex was punishable by death in 1675 wasn't it? Better that you played with your ASL counters and lived to pontificate on the various intricacies of Waffen SS shoe strings, than be burned at the stake for wielding a warlock boner. What you lost in wicked and amoral belt notches, we gained in WWII wisdom and your effervescent spirit!

Mord.

16 hours ago, Mord said:

Premarital sex was punishable by death in 1675 wasn't it?

Was it? I guess that would depend on the location. Nevertheless, it was widely practiced in many places and at most times, at least by young aristocratic males and serving wenches. Hypocrisy has never gone out of style.

Michael

Shoot&scoot order.

In a world where your AT/inf have to be at very close/suicidal distance or where tanks have aps/era/lwr and react quickly to treats, my guys should be able to get out of there as soon as they fire. Damn there is a systeme that have a f&f system that let me go as soon as it is fires, i should not guess how many tine it will take the guy to spot/shoot it before he run away!

Oh! A command similar to hunt where the unit will engace on contact and continue at the lost of contact.

If its possible, it could be modable so that we choose what the unit do when under fire/see a contact.

Edited by Panzerpanic

I'd like to see some way to export / import forces into Quick Battles.  One of the biggest frustrations of single player is the lack of surprise at AI forces (because if you want a decent battle you have to tailor the AI force).  It would be great if you could import other user's AI forces eg via xml file or similar.  Could get a bit of community engagement around creating opponents for people (as some people would take pleasure in crafting a challenging opposing force within given points/timescale/etc constraints).  Force files could be hosted as "3000 point 1944 Heer defensive force",  "3000 point 1944 US probe force" , etc.

Edited by Jock Tamson

1 hour ago, Jock Tamson said:

One of the biggest frustrations of single player is the lack of surprise at AI forces (because if you want a decent battle you have to tailor the AI force).

Wait a few years and the problem should go away. Once senility begins to settle in, you'll forget what forces you ordered almost immediately. Surprises everywhere!

:D

Michael

On 12/17/2017 at 8:05 PM, Michael Emrys said:

I know, which is why I am suggesting that it should be added.

Michael

I agree it would be cool to have, but I recall Steve describing the complex computations involved in spotting generally (of which skylining was one aspect) and the computational overhead, which would be considerable.

I'd like to see a "limited direct fire order" for mortars, which would make the mortar fire spotting rounds to get the range, then drop 3-5 very fast rounds on target, then stop firing.

If we can't get that, I'd just like to see fire missions going through much faster when using the mortar squad's own officers as the spotting unit.

Now that we're all just happily listing our wishes for Santa, here's another one that would be great to have if the elves could make it work:

Limited spotting when the sun's in the eyes of your troops. So, attacking in the early morning light with the sun behind you would give you an advantage.

Edited by Bulletpoint

7 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Now that we're all just happily listing our wishes for Santa, here's another one that would be great to have if the elves could make it work:

Limited spotting when the sun's in the eyes of your troops. So, attacking in the early morning light with the sun behind you would give you an advantage.

While we are at it, how about a % of troops get WIA just by moving and stumbling, spraining/breaking ankles etc.  Less % WIA on good roads, but if there is ice or they are in rough terrain, oh boy...

:wacko:

Another development I would like to see - which wouldn't require a total rewrite of the game engine - would be enhancements to Quick Battles.

I play a lot of these. It would be cool to be able to give some structure to a QB to make it more like a scenario. Being able to mix nationalities would be fun (for example I like the Italians, because they are interesting, but they don't put up a very good fight without some German support) - and it would be cool to be able direct parts of each force (randomly or non-randomly) to arrive as reinforcements.

Also, when you give the enemy fortifications in QBs, the AI doesn't tend to position these very effectively.

Apart from that, the AI generally does a reasonable job of positioning defenders in QBs. Given that, a nice feature, which would enhance the replayability of scenarios, would be an option to override the positioning of defenders in scenarios - so they are placed by the AI like in QBs. Often you have a really great scenario and you'd like to play it again (I sometimes get in the editor and change my force mix or nationality), but knowing where the defenders will be detracts from this.

If QBs could have some of the features of scenarios, and scenarios could take on some of the randomness of QBs, that would multiply the enjoyment we get out the games while we are waiting for new releases :)